Mia - a new chapter begins

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
ThorpeDave
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Re: Mia - a new chapter begins

Post by ThorpeDave »

Mayday21 wrote:Hi 2 weeks seems a long time to wait for Hendrix’s op. They must be a very busy practice. Think Lilith’s has given good advice re Mia having access to your bedroom. Hopefully with your weather cooling both will prefer to curl up inside. Keep us posted. Btw mt TC is a tad over 7kg! Vivian
Hi Vivian

At the time of booking it was actually 3 weeks!

Yes it is a busy practice and one of 3 veterinary hospitals in the area all owned by the same company! Our closest has an even longer waiting list - wish I had known this 2 weeks ago when we last saw the vet :o

There are several other practices but the vet who looked after Stealth for the last couple of months of his life will be performing the op herself. We trust her and she really does give Hendrix and us the time rather than "you have 10 minutes" like the rest of the vets.

Both cats have the run of the house and Mia has 2 special places - well actually one as Hendrix has hijacked one of them! He can be a sod at times!

One very positive thing is that Mia comes in without hesitation at the moment - as long as we open the door. A couple of weeks ago she would not come in readily.

We are also trying to give Hendrix more time. when he first arrived he would sleep in my armpit and would not move all night. Once he got over his fear of Mia he simply wants to spend all his time with her rather than us. We are now trying to spend more time with us and he does actually seem upset that Mia is avoiding him.

Regards

Dave
ThorpeDave
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by ThorpeDave »

We have had another difficult morning with Hendrix.

Jumping on Mia's back is really causing her to get very aggravated and when the paws start flying, Mia is now actually trying to hurt him as opposed to a simple "put down" slap. This causes Hendrix to get frustrated and he tears around the house until he collapses, panting. this cannot be good for him.

We have therefore found a vet with an excellent reputation a little further afield and they are seeing him on Tuesday with a view to neutering him on Friday.

We are still confident that they can live together happily - and have done so, so far - but Hendrix needs his volume turning down a couple of notches for his and Mia's sake!

Regards

Dave
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Lilith »

Aww, good luck and hope that slows him down!

At least you can neuter him - I have an 8 year old royal python ... a lovesick python. Autumn/winter is their breeding season, when they don't eat, they go hunting for a mate and are generally a pain in the whatsit, and you can't neuter a snake. Shahi's been little trouble, apart from a few years ago when he got out of his vivarium and managed to climb up a viv stack to a very pretty female, but this year he's dreadful; he never stops; no food, no cuddles, he's distraught, there is only one thing he wants to do ... his viv is next to my bed and talk about from ghoulies and ghosties and long legless beasties wanting to go bonk in the night, may heaven preserve me!

Hope old Hendrix gets stopped in his tracks now and that Mia (and you) get some peace at last!
ThorpeDave
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by ThorpeDave »

Lilith wrote:Aww, good luck and hope that slows him down!

At least you can neuter him - I have an 8 year old royal python ... a lovesick python. Autumn/winter is their breeding season, when they don't eat, they go hunting for a mate and are generally a pain in the whatsit, and you can't neuter a snake. Shahi's been little trouble, apart from a few years ago when he got out of his vivarium and managed to climb up a viv stack to a very pretty female, but this year he's dreadful; he never stops; no food, no cuddles, he's distraught, there is only one thing he wants to do ... his viv is next to my bed and talk about from ghoulies and ghosties and long legless beasties wanting to go bonk in the night, may heaven preserve me!

Hope old Hendrix gets stopped in his tracks now and that Mia (and you) get some peace at last!
I had a royal python many years ago - I used to let it out when the mother-in-law came for a visit :D she has never forgiven me - thankfully! My wife wan't too keen either ;)

Well I certainly hope Hendrix will be "cured" by the weekend. Hopefully it won't take long for his hormones to leave him. He has his manic moments so it may be just his nature in which case I have a problem on my hands! We already have 2 local cats who are a law unto themselves, we could do without a 3rd.

When Hendrix is calm, or playful, he is such a lovely cat, full of character and such fun. Really hoping the op will do him, and Mia, good and we can get back to harmony and fun.

Mia still runs towards him, twitching tail held high to greet him but then quickly retreats. When she does this, Hendrix howls with disappointment and wreck the house! That gives me hope that this can be fixed.

still dreading the op though.....

Regards

Dave
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Ha ha, I'm reclusive, and have a relative I don't really want to encourage, and his partner is phobic ... he he he :lol:

Pythons do come in handy!

Good luck with Hendrix - he's young and healthy and although I hope Mia gets the upper hand while he's not quite so errrm cocksure, he'll bounce back :)
ThorpeDave
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by ThorpeDave »

Lilith wrote: Good luck with Hendrix - he's young and healthy and although I hope Mia gets the upper hand while he's not quite so errrm cocksure, he'll bounce back :)
Me too - Mia has had a rough time with unwanted attention from other male cats she doesn't need Hendrix pushing her around too. Up to know she has been the boss - she was also the Boss with Stealth and was quite a "bunny boiler". A touch ironic that Hendrix appears to be the one doing the chasing now!

If the world was purrrrfect they would settle down happily and stay indoors so that they can be together. It appears - as mentioned several times - that Mia has quite an influence over him. I think he would make an obedient submissive cat given the right situation ;)

Dave
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by Mayday21 »

Hi Dave Mia’s twitching tail seems to indicate she’s happy! Perhaps the retreating is a way of playing. Pebbles sometimes does the twitching tail when she sees me. Good news Hendrix’s ops happening this week. Keep us posted. Vivian
ThorpeDave
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by ThorpeDave »

Mayday21 wrote:Hi Dave Mia’s twitching tail seems to indicate she’s happy! Perhaps the retreating is a way of playing. Pebbles sometimes does the twitching tail when she sees me. Good news Hendrix’s ops happening this week. Keep us posted. Vivian
Mia's tail twitches a lot when she is excited! but she is definitely backing off from him and hiding behind a chair.

This afternoon, Hendrix tried a new approach. Mia likes sleeping on the stairs so Hendrix went up and curled up on the same step next to her. She did not know what to do and just sat there for 10 minutes before moving off!

He has been to the vets this evening and had a thorough check before his op. The practice is owned by 2 very well known TV vets and the staff there are excellent and gave us and Hendrix all the time we needed.

Even the reception staff came over and chatted with us while we waited and they all gave him a fuss. Very impressed.

Fingers crossed for Friday!

Regards

Dave
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Aww ...

You'll all (and especially Mia) will be thinking TGIF! :D

Though Hendrix will be thinking ... balls ... MY balls ... :o :x

Never mind, lad, you'll get over it :)
ThorpeDave
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by ThorpeDave »

:D
Lilith wrote:Aww ...

You'll all (and especially Mia) will be thinking TGIF! :D

Though Hendrix will be thinking ... balls ... MY balls ... :o :x

Never mind, lad, you'll get over it :)
I am dreading it and won't be happy until he is home safe and well

Very impressed with the vet. Hendrix will have a pre-op kidney function test and one soon after to ensure everything is OK. Also will provide a baseline for future reference.

The other vet we used before does a check 2 weeks after the op - this one 3-5 days to ensure that there is no/and respond to any, infection. Poor Hendrix will loose his nuts at 10:30 on Friday then have a thermometer shoved up his ..... on Monday - poor lamb will be traumatized!

Dave
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Been thinking about the lad and hope he's coming round now with all safely over - best wishes Hendrix! :)
ThorpeDave
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by ThorpeDave »

Lilith wrote:Been thinking about the lad and hope he's coming round now with all safely over - best wishes Hendrix! :)
Yes he has come round and all went well.

He has had a kidney function test and all is well. He will have another one in the near future to ensure that there are no problems.

He is sitting up and will be having some breakfast about now and then will be observed for a few hours to ensure he is OK. We are due to pick him up at 16:30 then back again on Monday for a thorough check.

Really impressed with this vet who is taking great care of him - this is not a production line job!

Hendrix sat on my knee and had a good fuss before we took him at 08:30 which is fairly rare. No trouble getting him in the carrier either.

Mia went out soon after, then back in, then out again, then in and tore the place apart and was VERY vocal. Never seen her do that before as she is quite reserved! Not sure if she is relieved he is out or worried about him!

Keeping him quiet for the next couple of days will be a challenge but I am confident that the vet has and will continue to care for him the best they can.

Thanks for thinking about him

Dave
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

That's good to hear, fingers crossed his hormones calm down soon.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Ha - so Madam was missing him then? :D

She might be a bit peeved at the vetty smell at first but ... would be wonderful if she washes him. Has been known.

You'll be glad to see him back and hope all goes well now - the Testosterone Kid might try to bounce back in a couple of days but the old hormones will soon desert him ... how unsympathetic and feminist of me but all my sympathies are with Mia :D

All the best!
ThorpeDave
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by ThorpeDave »

Lilith wrote:Ha - so Madam was missing him then? :D

She might be a bit peeved at the vetty smell at first but ... would be wonderful if she washes him. Has been known.

You'll be glad to see him back and hope all goes well now - the Testosterone Kid might try to bounce back in a couple of days but the old hormones will soon desert him ... how unsympathetic and feminist of me but all my sympathies are with Mia :D

All the best!
Although I am very well bonded with Hendrix I have Mia in my heart. She has had a troubled life and all I want for her now is for her to feel loved and cared for - by us and by Hendrix. I am sure, like us, she misses Stealth terribly

I will give an update once he has settled down and had his post op check up

Regards

Dave
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

you have a great vet there, Dave - one that cares as much about the feelings of the owner as the health of the animal doesn't grow on trees
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Ruth B »

A good vet is worth their weight in gold, my parents had the right attitude when Dad retired and they decided to move and downsize, after all the considerations were done they decide they didn't mind changing doctors, opticians, dentists etc, but they wanted to stay with the same vet, so they moved closer to the surgery.

Glad all has gone well and keeping my fingers crossed that he will behave himself and not get into trouble straight off, fortunately it is a far smaller op for a male cat than a female, he probably doesn't even have stitches to tear. I do wish cats would listen when the vets are explaining that they must take it easy after treatment, but they never do.

It does sound like Mia is missing him, like has been said she might react to the vet smell on him, I've been lucky and never had the problem but I've heard of a few cases where it caused issues.

Fingers crossed it all goes to plan and looking forward to the update.
ThorpeDave
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by ThorpeDave »

Ruth B wrote:A good vet is worth their weight in gold, my parents had the right attitude when Dad retired and they decided to move and downsize, after all the considerations were done they decide they didn't mind changing doctors, opticians, dentists etc, but they wanted to stay with the same vet, so they moved closer to the surgery.
Oddly enough, this is not the biggest practice in the area and, by the number of people waiting, neither the most popular.

The 2 owners are also well known TV presenter and I must say, that I think that they run an extremely good practice.

The vets do not work to the clock and I noted that a couple of people waiting were complaining about the time. As far as I am concerned, I would wait to see a good vet and would rather the vet be thorough than be concerned about who was waiting.

I note from their web site that female cats are now neutered via keyhole surgery which should be less invasive with a much quicker recovery time. Hendrix has been super glued back together so no stitches to deal with

Hendrix has now returned home and NOTHING has changed! tearing around the place and jumping on poor Mia. Mia escaped outside in the pooing rain so not convinced her display this morning was her missing him!!!! She is now back in and keeping her distance!

I am not jumping to any conclusion though. It will take time for his hormone levels to reduce and, hopefully, be a little quieter. He also may smell differently as has been pointed out with may be freaking her out.

Regards
Dave
ThorpeDave
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by ThorpeDave »

Back at the vet's today for his checkup and the vet is not happy.

Hendrix is swollen and sore so he has been put on medication with another visit on Friday :( - no charge.....

Regards

Dave
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

Aww, poor thing, fingers crossed for an improvement on Fri. Not something I've ever had with all my years of rescue work!
ThorpeDave
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by ThorpeDave »

booktigger wrote:Aww, poor thing, fingers crossed for an improvement on Fri. Not something I've ever had with all my years of rescue work!
That is twice we have been to the vets and told "no charge" certainly not used to that!

From the moment Hendrix came out of the carrier after the op, he has been tearing around - as usual. Not surprised really but my nerves are on edge!

Regards

Dave
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

That does sound like a good vet. It's really rare with males, I bet your nerves are on edge
ThorpeDave
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by ThorpeDave »

booktigger wrote:That does sound like a good vet. It's really rare with males, I bet your nerves are on edge
It is a small Hematoma. Not totally surprised as he has continued to tear around the place from the moment he came home!

Yes very impressed with the vet. He had his op on Friday Morning and they were on the phone on Saturday morning checking on him. Has he been to the loo, is he eating, is he groggy........etc

Pleased that they are quick with the checks and identified a problem very early. The other vets in the area do a check after 2 week and leave it to the owners to identify problems.

5 lots of medication should ease it and, by the looks of things, the medication knocks him out! Calpol for kittens! They even provided the medication in pre-filled syringes as they know I can't see very well!

Regards

Dave
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Ruth B »

Poor lad, but glad to hear the problem has been identified quickly and being treated, hopefully he will be fine in a few days.

My vets always does the follow up for 'free'. I'm sure it is included in the price for the initial treatment but by saying it is done for free people are more likely to bring their pets back for the follow up instead of assuming as there is no sign of problems everything is fine.

We've been to our vets for about 20 years now, with a number of cats. Two years ago the main vet at the practice retired and in the last 12 -18 months we had noticed a few things that weren't quite to the standard we were used to. Fortunately we got to see a vet that had been there a while and i was happy talking to so I could quietly mention my concerns behind a closed door. Shortly after that there was a questionnaire put out on social media asking people to give opinions anonymously. I didn't care if it was anonymous or not I was happy to let them know what had happened and that it wasn't what I had come to expect of the practice. The last twice we have been it has been back to closer to how it used to be. Whether my chat was one among many, and whether it made any difference it was nice to see that they were taking their customers concerns to heart.

I hate to put a dampener on things, but Saturn, my lad, is 4 years old and was neutered at 12 weeks, and he still hasn't slowed down. He doesn't pick on Tiggy as much now (I think she has given him one too many a right hook over the years), but he will decide to 'play' with Freyja when she doesn't feel like it and she does have to yell at him to make him stop, which doesn't always work, she runs off and he gives chase. A range of nice soft foam balls around the house are great ammunition against a rampaging teenage hooligan, I can normally hit him on the side and then he can turn his attention to 'killing' the ball that just attacked him, not chasing Frejya.
ThorpeDave
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by ThorpeDave »

The cost of the neutering + kidney function test was higher so I assume the pre-op and post op were "included" in the price. The fact that the medication was free really surprised me but obviously not complaining.

At the end of the day I feel that Hendrix is in good hands and the vet is being pro-active. Just wish we had put Stealth in their hands rather than the production line of the local Veterinary Hospital.

To be fair to Hendrix, he has changed his approach to Mia in the past few days - even before his op - and is showing a softer side.

My concern for Mia is that she was bullied out of her previous home by an in tact male who would not leave her alone and was beginning to wonder if she saw Hendrix as the same type of cat.

I think there is a difference however. Mia was not socialised and had no one to turn to for comfort. Now she comes for fusses and is never turned away and we thank that that gives her confidence that THIS is HER home

Regards

Dave
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

I'm really sorry to hear this - as Booktigger says, it's extremely rare. Almost 40 years ago a boy of mine came home with a bit of something dangling (I dread to think what.) He was white, so at least it was spotted quickly, but mercifully after sorting there were no complications, and that's the only time I've seen something untoward, even with adult toms.

Doesn't seem to have fazed Hendrix though. Oh yes, he'll go on being manic, but the testosterone urge to dominate and mate won't be behind it. The soft foam balls are a very good idea, Ruth - must buy some for Molly when she gets the midnight gallops :lol:

Wishing Hendrix a speedy recovery, and all power to Mia :)
ThorpeDave
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by ThorpeDave »

Ruth B wrote: A range of nice soft foam balls around the house are great ammunition against a rampaging teenage hooligan, I can normally hit him on the side and then he can turn his attention to 'killing' the ball that just attacked him, not chasing Frejya.
I have been reluctant to get any foam balls at present as Hendrix is teething and tears everything to bits. He particularly like hessian shopping bags!

Regards

Dave
ThorpeDave
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by ThorpeDave »

Lilith wrote:I'm really sorry to hear this - as Booktigger says, it's extremely rare. Almost 40 years ago a boy of mine came home with a bit of something dangling (I dread to think what.) He was white, so at least it was spotted quickly, but mercifully after sorting there were no complications, and that's the only time I've seen something untoward, even with adult toms.

Doesn't seem to have fazed Hendrix though. Oh yes, he'll go on being manic, but the testosterone urge to dominate and mate won't be behind it. The soft foam balls are a very good idea, Ruth - must buy some for Molly when she gets the midnight gallops :lol:

Wishing Hendrix a speedy recovery, and all power to Mia :)
We think this is a "Hendrix" issue rather than a "vet" issue.

From the moment he came home he has continued to tear around the place, jumping, climbing kicking catnip toys etc. don't see that he could have avoided doing himself a mischief!

We did not see any swelling until just before we took him to the vet and it does seem a little better today after his medication yesterday. He is quite cool so not suspecting an infection. Thankfully no reaction to the medication!

Mia seems more relaxed today which is good but she brought a tear to my eyes yesterday.

The medication seemed to have knocked Hendrix out (ordering a couple of pints) and he was sparked out on the cat tree. Unusually, Mia was also on the tree whimpering softly - not seen or heard that since Stealth was poorly with Mia keeping a watching vigil :(

Regards

Dave
ThorpeDave
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by ThorpeDave »

Sorry for the lack of updates in the past couple of weeks. Sadly my father was taken ill and passed away on November 14th which has obviously kept us busy with lots of things to do :(

Hendrix has now had 3 post op visits to the vets and has finally been given the all clear. He had shown no signs of discomfort but had a small swelling and it appeared a bit sore.

He has however got himself into trouble by getting himself tangled up in some cables under my computer desk which caused him, and me, some considerable stress trying to free him. His bite is still very painful! The cost of the damage he caused and the solution to prevent any further mishaps came in at £200!

I once described Hendrix as a hell's Angel. while, generally he is still hell the angelic side of him has come to the fore. He now sits on my knee for a cuddle and loves to be groomed with either a brush or a grooming mit. He purrs loudly and I receive plenty of head butts too.99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999u8u8u8u8u8u8u8 - and yes he walks all over my keyboard while typing messages!!!!

Hendrix can still be quite manic at times and we still think this is down to frustration both with Mia and the fact that we are restricting his visits outside. His constant demands to be let out really does wind him up when we say enough. We have managed to secure the garden, for him, for the time being but it wont be long before he can jump or climb to get over the wall. Mia does it with ease.

The more Hendrix wants to, an does go out, the more Mia stays in doors. In fact she has only spent 30 minutes outdoors this past week and has started using the litter tray again - there is always a downside!

Mia is showing more tolerance again and less fear of Hendrix and she is once again greeting him with a raised tail and a few squeaks when he walks into the room. they have not "played" for about a month despite Hendrix's desire to do so. However, there are far fewer burst of fighting and Mia growling less when he bothers her. It now takes a lot of provocation for Mia to lash out.

Hendrix is still OTT with her but is rolling a lot more and I saw him lying on her back at 04:30 this morning when a went for a visit across the landing.

Mia is still enjoying her fusses, is more visible and is playing with a catnip banana and occasional a laser.

although they are not bosom buddies - yet - they both seem a little more relaxed and Mia is sniffing Hendrix more in recent days which could indicate that his hormones are beginning to leave him

We have a lot to do this next week with the funeral a week after so doubt if there will be another update for a bit.

Regards

Dave
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Hi, very sorry to hear about your father but so glad Hendrix has recovered - the little horror! They'll always do what we least expect them to! He's obviously going to be one of THOSE cats, isn't he ...

Fusses to him, and to sweet Mia too and all the best to you all during this sad time.