Mia - a new chapter begins

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
ThorpeDave
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Re: Mia - a new chapter begins

Post by ThorpeDave »

Lilith wrote:OMG a rollercoaster :o
This is by no means a rollercoatter. It is a rollercoaster, swings, roundabouts and every white knuckle ride while gorging on candyfloss, toffee apples and hot dogs!

Mia is an angel; soft, gentler, sweet, maternal but timid, unsure and emotionally scarred

Hendrix is an angel; a hell's angel, a hell's angel on amphetamines. bold, adventurous, vocal, VERY vocal and simply won't take no for an answer!

Generally speaking, the growling has stopped but fists are flying more freely. Although Mia is soft and gentle I would not pick a fight with her and I have seen her defend herself and she has never lost a battle, yet! It takes a lot to wind her up but Hendrix knows exactly how to do it.

Face to face, Hendrix is subservient and whimpers. Mia likes sleeping on the stairs and when Hendrix wants to pass, he whimpers in the full knowledge that he will get a punch on the back of the head and his backside slapped as he passes.

When Mia turns her back on him however, he pounces and Mia runs and, if she can, she will go outside and stay out for quite sometime and it can be difficult to get her back in. Hendrix has also started interrupting her fusses more often and now deliberately lies next to the bed at night making it difficult for Mia to get the attention she desires.

Hendrix has also started mimicking Mia and often lies on the next step up from Mia for a short time. when she glances up and sees him there he gets a swift slap!

Hendrix has also discovered Mia hide away and will often go down there when she is there. However he is gentle and avoids treading on her and Mia normally just ignores him. When Mia is not there he does his best to tear the place apart!

It is quite clear to us that Hendrix wants to be friends and want to play - constantly. Mia on the other hand is still very wary of him and gets frustrated when he disrupt her routine. Mia will take her frustration out on anything she can find, throwing rugs around and clawing at the furniture.

Hendrix has now had his booster jabs and has gained 650g in weight in the past 4 weeks - more than 50% of he previous body weight and he has also had his claws clipped. He is doing well. The scratching of my hands has basically stopped but he continues to bite but as Mia has not bitten him - yet - he does not know that it hurts. He is probably about to lose his baby teeth so we have got some harder toys for him to chew on - instead of my hand!

No signs of his hormones kicking in yet but as soon as they do, he will be having another consultation with the vet to make plans for his neutering.

With the weather beginning to change Mia is spending a lot more time in the house so the next 4 months or so will be make or break for the pair.

Regards

Dave
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Lilith »

Oh wow! :o :shock:

Hang on in there Mia and good on you! And you too, Dave ... they may be a headache but never a bore eh? :shock: :lol:
ThorpeDave
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by ThorpeDave »

I thought I would just share with you a few seconds of Mia being fussed.

As mentioned on several occasions, Mia is now 4 years old and was never fussed until a few weeks ago.

https://www.facebook.com/HamShackCat/vi ... 6630074235

Regards

Dave
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

That is lovely to see! She is so relaxed and completely in control, seeking attention and fussing but able to move away as soon as she needs to.
ThorpeDave
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by ThorpeDave »

Yesterday I posted a short video clip of Mia enjoying a good fussing.

Today I have posted a clip of Hendrix trying to disrupt a fussing session. As you will see, Mia is now largely unimpressed with Hendrix's antics - good girl!

The video can be found on my FB page and is publicly accessible https://www.facebook.com/HamShackCat/vi ... 0659623431

Regards

Dave
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by Mayday21 »

Looks to me that Hendrix is being a typical annoying little brother...very cute videos. Vivian
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

I am reminded of the way my siamese could keep a whole litter of kittens occupied moving just her tail. She would lie sprawled comfortably by the fire, and twitch just the very tip till all five kittens started to stalk, then whip her tail out of the way at the last moment, let them tumble all over each other, then start again with the tip twitching.

Mia looks very relaxed, and Hendrix is learning to inhibit his pouncing and take no for an answer - excellent progress, I would say.
ThorpeDave
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by ThorpeDave »

fjm wrote:I am reminded of the way my siamese could keep a whole litter of kittens occupied moving just her tail. She would lie sprawled comfortably by the fire, and twitch just the very tip till all five kittens started to stalk, then whip her tail out of the way at the last moment, let them tumble all over each other, then start again with the tip twitching.

Mia looks very relaxed, and Hendrix is learning to inhibit his pouncing and take no for an answer - excellent progress, I would say.
Interesting, I am seeing that too. Other tactics are grooming and eating - Hendrix never disturbs her when she is doing that but does sneak the occasional sniff.

Discovered that Mia can kick like a mule though! Feeding time is getting interesting with them both pacing up and down the kitchen tails aloft. The other day, Hendrix took the opportunity to sniff Mia's rear end resulting in a swift mule kick perfectly placed under Hendrix's chin!

I will post an update on Wednesday.

Regards

Dave
ThorpeDave
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by ThorpeDave »

Mayday21 wrote:Looks to me that Hendrix is being a typical annoying little brother...very cute videos. Vivian
Annoying? trying to find a much stronger word :D
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Hi Dave, meant to reply before but I've been wrestling with flatpacks ... I'm certain that if Nature had intended humans to build flatpacks, She would have given them eight arms, like spiders ... however, with the help of a ginger gaffer watching me from the bed (with a smile; this is as good as an octopus in a fit) I'm almost done ...

I'm sorry, Mia and Hendrix, but Facebook will only give me a quick glimpse of photos and refuses to let me see some videos, because I'm not a member, grrrr, and I won't join, not for anyone, even you.

Lol I can imagine Hendrix ... pesky, infernal, a pain in the posterior?? :lol:
ThorpeDave
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by ThorpeDave »

I quite enjoy doing flatpack these days! a lot easier than it used to be and it normally fits properly too!

Are you on twitter? or any other unsociable media thingy?

Unfortunately I can't post them here for some unknown reason - Images have to be tiny and lose their impact.

Regards

Dave
ThorpeDave
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by ThorpeDave »

Lilith wrote:
I'm sorry, Mia and Hendrix, but Facebook will only give me a quick glimpse of photos and refuses to let me see some videos, because I'm not a member, grrrr, and I won't join, not for anyone, even you.
I know you would wan't to see the videos and photos so try this instead https://thorpedave.tumblr.com/

Only just started creating it and have not got a clue what I am doing so it will take a little time to knock it into shape - just like Hendrix!

Regards

Dave
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Ah I'm sorry but I'm useless at social media. I did join twitter once to stay on a news discussion site but that was years ago and I expect I've lost the plot since these new rules ... which they're all circumnavigating and STILL insisting on getting your personal details if you want to stay on their sites ... I won't. The second link you posted I had to log in on to stuff I went bogeyed at. Pity. I'm a very disappointing punter lol :lol:

I wouldn't know a cookie if it climbed up my leg and bit me on the ass :o :lol:
ThorpeDave
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by ThorpeDave »

Lilith wrote:Ah I'm sorry but I'm useless at social media. I did join twitter once to stay on a news discussion site but that was years ago and I expect I've lost the plot since these new rules ... which they're all circumnavigating and STILL insisting on getting your personal details if you want to stay on their sites ... I won't. The second link you posted I had to log in on to stuff I went bogeyed at. Pity. I'm a very disappointing punter lol :lol:

I wouldn't know a cookie if it climbed up my leg and bit me on the ass :o :lol:
There are times when I dislike the internet!

If anyone wants to see the videos and does not do unsociable media you can now find them on YouTube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCh7dc5 ... sh1mxXd1uw

Regards

Dave
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

I can just about manage Facebook, but thats my limit when it comes to unsocialmedia, youtube videos I happily watch, and that is one kitten that needs to meet a good kitten flattening paw.

Cookies are easy to understand, they are the biscuity things that go into a jar or tin, and then are removed just as quickly.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Oh crumbs! :lol: :oops:

Those videos are brilliant, Dave, and as for the horrible Milo, yes poor chap, it isn't his fault really, but ... poor Mia! No wonder she's so fragile. But gaining psychological strength every day now :D
ThorpeDave
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by ThorpeDave »

Lilith wrote:Oh crumbs! :lol: :oops:

Those videos are brilliant, Dave, and as for the horrible Milo, yes poor chap, it isn't his fault really, but ... poor Mia! No wonder she's so fragile. But gaining psychological strength every day now :D
Thank you - yes Milo is truly a thug and needs to pay a visit to the vets. However, no one wants to take responsibility for him :cry:

There is another one who moved into Mia's house and forced her out - he still chases her today. Poor love now has Hendrix to cope with!

Anyway, I am in trouble as I have done no housework as I have been creating videos instead!!

Here is the last one for today - hope you like it https://youtu.be/yjEr8GChk4E

Regards

Dave
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Lol brilliant - who needs housework anyway? My hovel has never heard of it! :lol:
ThorpeDave
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by ThorpeDave »

Where to begin!

Mia is now spending a lot more time in the house which is quite significant although we don't actually know exactly why.

It could be the weather, It could be that she wants to be closer to us or, it could, be Hendrix

Even when Mia is in the house it is quite normal for her to seek sanctuary in her bolt hole under the stairs where she obviously feels safe. However, Hendrix has found this place and often goes down there to wreck the joint, or, if she is there, to go and see what she is doing. Mia is actually spending less time down there and is far more visible.

When Hendrix cam to us, he had been given the name "Jet" not just because he is black but because he flies round the place like a jet!

Although he is our 6th cat, he is our first kitten so we did not know, and were unprepared for, the level of mania that Hendrix has shown.

I was getting quite concerned about the 5 hours of non-stop tearing through the house coupled with his constant vocal dialogue with that concern really peaking last Thursday.

I had spent most of the day re-wiring the mess of cables around the TV area and hiding the cables in trunking as Hendrix loved playing with the cables and often got tangled up in them. Because he is teething and chewing it is obviously not a good idea to be chewing cables that carry any form of voltage so something had to be done.

As cables were remove and replace there was another new toy for him to play with and it, of course, took a lot longer to complete the job. By late afternoon, Mia wanted her normal treats and once I had hand fed her she went outside to "dig a hole". On the way back she spotted a squirrel and chased it 30ft up a tree!. If you recall, Thursday/Friday was very stormy and as she came down from the tree she got caught in a downpour and sought shelter in our neighbors outside loo - her home for 18 months prior to moving in with us.

As the evening wore on she stayed put and Hendrix got more and more agitated, more vocal and simply was tearing around the house yelling at the top of his voice.

Nothing we did would calm him down and he started panting and I was getting really concerned about him.

thankfully there was a break in the storm and Mia came in and was immediately pounced on by Hendrix resulting in the (now) usual good hiding!

They both then had their supper, groomed and slept.

We came to the rapid conclusion the Hendrix's mania was directly linked to Mia presence in the house. We have kept a close eye on it since and Hendrix really seems agitated when she is outside. The couple that had originally rescued him, also had a female about the same age as Mia and Hendrix wanted to be friends with her, but she was having nothing of it. Perhaps, the madness he displayed while he was there was down to the fact that he wanted to be friends and she didn't ???

The storm continued on Friday and Mia stayed in all day and our thoughts were basically confirmed as there was peace and quiet on all day Friday and Saturday morning when once again Mia went out to stretch her legs and Hendrix became agitated.

The relationship between Hendrix and Mia is still at "paws length" and those who have seen the videos will know that his approach, while playful, isn't going to impress Mia at all.

Having said that, there was considerable signs that Mia is far more visible in the house and is taking a great deal of interest in Hendrix particularly while he is playing. Mia quite often looks animated and the growling and spitting has virtually stopped and I have never seen Mia with her ears back looking irritated by his presence. As Hendrix was hand reared out of necessity, he has a great deal to learn.

Yesterday was quite interesting. Hendrix came to me for a fuss and I got a headbutt, so I head butted back rubbing my head down the full length of his body. He liked it and came back for more. this went on for 20 minutes and he purred loudly. When his paws started flying I backed off, then headbutted him again. After a while he stopped trying to slap me and just reached out with his paws very gently.

At bedtime, Hendrix normally joins us in the bedroom and Mia settles on the stairs. After a while it is normal for Hendrix to go down stairs, passing Mia in the process and getting a slap, to have a snack.

On his way back he normally whimpers a lot expecting another slap from Mia as he passes. This time he stopped one step up and settled down with Mia rolling on her back and grooming herself then reaching out a paw to him. Hendrix remained unsure what to do but was fascinated, calm and he settled down.

When my son arrived home at 01:30, he found them both still on the stairs, one step apart and today I have found Mia on my son's windowsill with Hendrix close by on my son's desk, calm and relaxed

Have turned the corner.......?

Hendrix is now over 2kg in weight and is growing rapidly. There are still no sings that his hormones are kicking in. He remains playful but less manic this past few days.

Keep an eye on my YouTube Chanel where there is a small collection of videos https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCh7dc5 ... sh1mxXd1uw

Regards

Dave
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Lol! All this sounds like very good news indeed! :D

There will be setbacks and then sudden progress, but hopefully Mia is beginning to take charge of the little blighter and he's learning to respect her.

Wait until she lies there, twitching her tail for him to 'mouse' - mother cat mode :D
ThorpeDave
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by ThorpeDave »

Lilith wrote: Wait until she lies there, twitching her tail for him to 'mouse' - mother cat mode :D
She may be doing that already!

Hendrix has now had many many slaps from Mia but there are absolutely no signs of injuries. I know too well that Mia's claws are like razors and her bite is pretty evil too. I have yet to hear Hendrix cry out in pain - well apart from when my wife stood on his tail the other morning! and he is not carrying any scars either.

In many respects, Mia has become a surrogate mother and, perhaps, we should have adopted him earlier. He certainly has a lot to learn which he did not get from his own mum and the rest of the litter.

Regards

Dave
ThorpeDave
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by ThorpeDave »

Hi all

Just a quick YouTube Video of Mia and Hendrix play fighting last night - quite funny at the end ;) https://youtu.be/0JdX4NGaPJI

Mia is certainly coming out of her shell

Regards

Dave
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

OOOOOPS! :lol:

Learning how to have some fun at last, looks like she's blossoming - good lass! (I used to have a cat who turned somersaults just for the hell of it ...)

They're going to be very good for each other :D
ThorpeDave
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by ThorpeDave »

Lilith wrote:OOOOOPS! :lol:

Learning how to have some fun at last, looks like she's blossoming - good lass! (I used to have a cat who turned somersaults just for the hell of it ...)

They're going to be very good for each other :D
Not very "ladylike" though :D

Mia has really come out of her shell this past couple of days with a lot more interaction with Hendrix but also playing openly. Her favorite "toys" are colorful cable ties which she hooks in her paw and throws them around. Hendrix has also started to do the same so I got another one out last night and threw it on the floor. Mia jumped on it straight away - that was the very first time she responded to a "toy" being thrown for her!!

This morning Hendrix had his breakfast then came to sit on my knee, purring and, for the first time, padding!

Again for the first time in a very long time, Mia used the litter tray - which I am told is a compliment!

Hendrix obviously has a lot more energy than Mia and plays for a lot longer so he is still subjected to several slaps when Mia wants to be in her own space.

Really happy that things seem to be moving in the right direction although we know this is a long road.

Regards

Dave
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Oh I don't know - look at this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxIuFwMhOu8

(Not my video by the way - but this is exactly what my Annie used to do.)

Mia reminds me of my Emily again, enjoying herself after an anxious youth. Emmy had to be neutered after her kittens left - too soon I thought (and I would have kept her in from the toms, but the CP insisted.) She was worn out but when I bought her a toy mouse she loved it (after all the real mice she must have had to catch for a meal.) She'd dash into the bathroom and jump on the bathmat and skid along on it as if it was a sledge lol. I bought a sari in a charity shop and tried it on - and so did Emily ...

Happy days :cry: :D
ThorpeDave
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by ThorpeDave »

Well it has been over a week since I last posted and put up a short video on YouTube

Not a great deal to report really except that Mia is spending far more time indoors and not actually gone out first thing in the morning for at least a week.

This seems to have settled Hendrix down quite a bit as he continues to be at his worse when Mia is outside or when she has just come in.

Mia is far more tolerant as well but when she has had enough of Hendrix's jabs she either runs or gives him a good hiding - or both!.

Probably the most noticeable change is that Mia will run to greet Hendrix and they touch noses and possible have rubbed against each on on a couple of occasions. The verbal communication has also increased between them with lots of chirrups from them both with Mia's tail normally aloft and quivering - all good signs I think.

The prime bonding time is at bedtime when Mia normally settles on the stairs and Hendrix goes down to steal Mia's overnight snack. Normally he will get a playful slap on the way down and back but he normally settles on the step above Mia with them both lying relaxed. Mia often rolls and reaches out to Hendrix but he can be a swine and throws a couple of punches! He normally gets a good hiding and packed off to bed when this happens.

Mia now spends a lot more time watching Hendrix playing. Both Mia and Hendrix have the same favorite toys - cable ties and boxes. I have made short chains from the cable ties and throw them into the boxes and Mia has shown considerable interest in joining in but has yet to do so. when Hendrix is out of the way she plays with the cable ties anyway.

Hendrix is now chipped and has shown his highest weekly weight gain this past week putting on over 270g.

The only concerns we currently have is that Hendrix seems to want to go out - when Mia is out of course - and we have had to grab him a couple of times when he has managed it. As we cannot cat proof the garden this is of course a considerable concern to us. We continue to hope that Mia will start staying in thus Hendrix will not want to go out. We are still a few weeks away from having him castrated which should help calm him down and reduce his desire wander off. Hoping for a very cold winter, especially as Hendrix loves the heat and has started crawling down the bed at night!

Regards

Dave
ThorpeDave
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by ThorpeDave »

We have felt for some considerable time that the key to Hendrix is, quite simply Mia

As mentioned in my previous post, Hendrix was beginning to show considerable interest in going outside. As he has had is full set of jabs and is just about to hit 4 months old there is no reason to stop him - well, except that we don't want him to go out!

As he becomes even more boisterous, coupled with his desire to be Mia's sole mate, Mia has increasingly sought to go out to get away from his constant pestering and batting - and I don't blame her.

Unfortunate, this makes Hendrix even worse and the more she goes out the more he creates and becomes manic and the quicker he jumps on her when she comes back in.

Mia has always had a problem with coming in through the cat door. Going out, no problem, but she is normally reluctant to come in especially if she knows we are around.

In an emergency, when she knows we are out or in the early hours of the morning she use it, reluctantly. More on this later.

So, Mia wants to come in and won't use the cat door. We therefore have no choice but to open the back door with the inevitable consequences - Hendrix makes a run for it! and so does Mia

Thankfully, he suddenly realises this is a different place and his belly hit the ground in fear but was still very curious. Bringing him back in only caused screams of frustration and he is back out again. However he only has a desire to go when Mia is out - well for the time being anyway - so we had to come up with a plan to let him out while Mia is out and try and keep him under control. A purple harness and lead was the solution my wife came up with so once a day he goes out for a walk around the garden and looks very fetching!

As mentioned above, Mia's continuing problem with the cat door needed to be looked at in close detail to see if we could work out why she has problems coming in through it. We contacted the people who make the sureflap cat door and I must say that I am delighted with the response I have received. The had a look at some of my videos and agreed that there was an unknown problem but expressed a desire to help as much as possible.

Initially they offered to replace the cat door with some modifications to the sensors but we ended up deciding that we need to change the "cat" door to a "Pet" door which is 2 inches larger. Mia is certainly quite chunky and Hendrix is growing at an alarming rate. If what I read is correct, Hendrix at 4 months is bigger and heavier than the average 6 month old cat with an expectation that he will double his body weight between 6 and 12 months. That will put him in the region of 6-7kg by the time he is one year old. Apparently, his mum, dad and previous litters are all on the very large size!

The cat door has now been tested and have found no fault with the existing one so the pet door will be ordered shortly and modified with the sensors in a different place to see if that helps. I have also noticed that it locks very quickly so need to see if I can get this extended a touch to deal with her obvious reluctance to use it.

Yesterday turned out to be a very significant. Mia was not bright first thing and had an upset tum and started "scooting" we have had this before so knew what to do and started a one week treatment plan.

After a snooze she resurfaced and was immediately jumped on by Hendrix. Mia did not move a muscle, she did not run or punch his lights out and just sat there looking at him. Hendrix was shocked and did not know what to do. He turned and walked off screaming. 5 seconds later, Mia pounced on him and there ensued 2 hours of frantic mad cat playing with, chasing, rolling and batting each other through the banister, boxes, tunnels and anywhere either could hide. It was mental but so enjoyable to watch.

After dinner the fun started again until they both collapsed and slept - for a bit.

As bedtime approached, Mia decided she wanted to go out for some fresh air and Hendrix sat in front of the CCTV monitor waiting for her to appear at the back door. As it was late my wife called me to pick Hendrix up so we could let Mia in - who was sitting by the back door waiting for us to open it! I decided not to and asked my wife to open the back door and "trust them"

The back door was duly opened and Mia just sat there. Hendrix rushed to her, they touched noses, chatted to each other and Mia walked in - with Hendrix trotting behind her!!!! We know full well that this may be a one off but it does show that Mia has considerable influence over Hendrix and, it appears, at the moment, that the relationship could be a very good one.

Paws crossed

After going to bed there was an hour of bangs and crashed and the sound of chasing before they both came into the bedroom with Hendrix lying next to the bed and Mia 2 feet away. Both curled up and slept all night :o

Regards

Dave
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

:D :lol:

They're getting there!

Talk about cats being a headache but never a bore! :o :D
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

Aww! As he is 4 months old and larger than your average cat, be careful letting him out, his hormones may kick in sooner and he may try escaping. Good luck with the cat flap
ThorpeDave
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by ThorpeDave »

Lilith wrote::D :lol:

They're getting there!

Talk about cats being a headache but never a bore! :o :D
Certainly lovely - but this evening the headache is back :o