Bean Family Dilemma

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
pinkbeans2
New Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 1

Bean Family Dilemma

Post by pinkbeans2 »

Hi all, I hope this is allowed... I've searched high and low on the internet and called handfuls of rescues and shelters and animal control for advice to no avail.
I will try to keep this short and sweet.

Last summer, I noticed my neighbors had a small white cat in their window, and then by the frigid Midwestern winter that we suffer through, I noticed she was sleeping in the wheel wells of my car and under the hood on the really cold nights. This was an every night occurrence too. It is now the end of summer once again, and not only has she been an outside cat this entire time, there is now another cat that looks just like her and I am inclined to believe they are siblings. They are never inside the house anymore, even when it is pouring rain and terrible lightning and thunder. Who knows where those two go and hide for the night. I have taken it upon myself to feed them my own cat's high quality dry and wet food and leaving them some water. The female (Bean) is still quite skinny, but the male (Mr. Bean, yeah, I know.) weighs a healthy amount, but I attribute that to my regular feeding and him chasing down alley rats on home security camera :oops: I asked the neighbor's son if they were both his cats and he replied that they were. Although, the male is still intact, meaning he doesn't come from a shelter and does not have a chip. Neither cat has a collar either, they just freely roam the neighborhood and streak in front of passing cars. I believe they are just stray cats they fed once and who stuck around, because I have seen similar cats roaming nearby, almost like they could be from the same litter. I have seen the neighbors have started scattering a handful of terrible quality cat food for them to eat although in the past they have left rotten food and rotten milk out for them.

Two days ago, I noticed the male had a visible dent in his back, and an open wound that was oozing blood along with numerous scratches on his back. He meowed pitifully when your fingers got within 4 inches of the wound. I waited outside for the neighbors to come out as they usually do so I could tell them he is hurt, but once they opened their door and saw me, they went back inside and did not come out again until they saw my car pull out from the driveway; and they also did not care to bring in their two cats that were on the front stoop with me. The neighbor barely even takes care of herself or her home; she is not capable of taking care of these animals which is probably why they got left out in the first place..

Since local shelters and animal control were ZERO help, I have made arrangements with a foster and adoption group for them to be taken in and examined, fixed, and fostered.

I just want to know, am I wrong for taking these animals to be cared for by better people? It is obvious these people are negligent towards these animals and provide no care for them. I would take them in myself but I have a small apartment and I already have one cat. I should have taken them in when I saw them freezing in a foot of snow and cold winds, but somebody having injured Mr. Bean was the final straw for me and these two adorable, sweet cats. They truly deserve better.

I am sorry for the wall of text but I would really truly appreciate any help/input/advice/two cents I can get. <3
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Bean Family Dilemma

Post by Ruth B »

If the neighbours won't talk to you, the cats aren't chipped and neutered and an injury is being left untreated then I think it is best if the cats just vanish. If they do turn out to have chips then the vets that they are taken to for treatment should try and contact the owners saying that they were brought in as strays. If the neighbours says anything just tell them that you had to stop them eating your cats food so they have probably moved elsewhere to find another source, unneutered males particularly are renown for wondering.

If people care for their pets they get them chipped, neutered and treated. If the neighbours really make a fuss about trying to find them again, putting up posters contacting charities etc. then maybe point them in the direction of the vet that the fosterer uses saying you had heard that a couple of similar strays had been brought there and let the vets deal with the owners most vets wouldn't like animals being treated like that.

What i'm saying may be bending the law a little (I live in the UK, I thinking you might be in the States), but it is also the owners responsibility to make sure their pet is looked after and to make it so that they can be easily contacted if any thing happens or it goes missing.
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by Mayday21 »

Hi Bean .. welcome to Cat Chat. I agree with Ruth’s comment. If the cat is injured an abscess can make him really sick unless treated. And the fact he’s ‘in tact’ he’ll be a target for other Toms & then there’s Feline Aids...I’d rescue both if you can.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Kay »

I agree - there is right by the law, and right by a suffering living creature - no contest for me

I once shut my back door when a much neglected little kitten left outside for days by a neighbour followed my cat indoors - and the door stayed shut until a friend took her to be rehomed a distance away - and no one came looking for her