CP Cat Guardian Service

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

CP Cat Guardian Service

Post by Lilith »

Has anyone else come across the CP's Cat Guardian Service? I've only just read about it and it seems like a good idea for someone like me - if I died suddenly there would be nobody to give my cats a permanent home, although friends would help temporarily and I've made provision for the cats in a formal will, so barring disasters they would each take a decent 'dowry' to any shelter.

The service is free - you register your details. I think it relies on goodwill - obviously they hope you'll donate, as any right-minded person would, but I don't want to be bombarded with 'updates' and appeals and all the rest of it. I once signed up to donate a small monthly sum to Dogs' Trust ... oh boy. They pestered the hell out of me, even called at my house, sent me a monthly glossy magazine (I would rather the money had gone to the dogs' upkeep!) They also sold my address on to other charities, well, I assume it was them. So I'm a bit nervous about committing myself to anything similar.

This is the service - https://www.cats.org.uk/get-involved/su ... -guardians

Sorry to sound so wary and cynical. What do you guys think?
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: CP Cat Guardian Service

Post by Ruth B »

I do think it is a good idea if there isn't anyone, family or friends, that would be able to take the cats, I also believe the RSPCA run a similar scheme, but I know where i would prefer my cats to go.

I haven't made a will yet (something I really should do) but when I do I will be making sure that a percentage of the estate is assigned to who ever takes in any cats to help pay for their upkeep, but I also don't want to sound like i'm bribing a charity to take them. (this is were legal advice would be needed).

Knowing what my Mum was like towards the end when she refused a hospital admission due to no one being there to give Tufty her insulin injection and then the number of times I had to convince her i would look after them (only Stroppy came in the end, but I would have taken both and learnt how to give an injection if i had had to) if anything happened to her. At the same time I think looking after them after my Dad died did help give her purpose and probably helped keep her out of a nursing home for a while.

I don't know anyone that has taken up the CP scheme, but like you I would much rather my donations went to help the animals in any charities care than to produce fancy news letters etc.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

I'm sure the intent is good, but not sure if it could always work in practice - I volunteer for a CP branch which covers two large rural counties, yet has only three pens and no home fosterers, so taking in any cat at very short notice is impossible

leaving enough money for a prolonged cattery stay is one possible answer, and as I am in the same situation I intend to restrict my cat ownership to just one when my current oldies go the Bridge, as leaving a houseful of cats for CP or any other rescue to find homes for is bound to be more problematical

it is a worry though, and no easy answer, alas
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

I am in the happy position of knowing my family will take care of any animals I leave behind - and probably compete for Tilly, who is a great favourite with both my niece and my nephew! I trust them to make the right decisions, even if that includes euthanasia for an elderly or otherwise special needs cat or dog. I think there are hard decisions to be made if you may possibly be leaving an animal that would struggle to find a happy home...
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

It is always a hard one, particularly with an elderly or chronically ill cat. My Mother and I had actually discussed what would happen if for any reason Stroppy couldn't live at mine, there was always the risk that the resident cats would start fights etc. As she was 17 even if we could find a charity that could fit her in the chance of her being rehomed was virtually nil, we were both realistic on this and agreed that then the kindest thing would be to have her pts to save the stress and living the rest of her days in a pen. I knew it would have broken my Mum to have to do this which is why i did everything possible to make it work, and was even glad in a way when my Mum died first, I dreaded having to tell her that Stroppy had to be pts even if it was for medical reasons.
MarySkater
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by MarySkater »

Lilith wrote:I once signed up to donate a small monthly sum to Dogs' Trust ... oh boy. They pestered the hell out of me, even called at my house, sent me a monthly glossy magazine
When I lived in England, having adopted two cats from the RSPCA, I also made a small monthly payment to them, and then kept getting leaflets suggesting other ways to support them. Eventually I took one of their leaflets and wrote across it, "I am giving you what I can afford. If you continue to pester me, I will stop all payments to you," and I sent it back to them. That worked - they stopped bothering me.

I have been thinking about the CP guardian scheme. (I now live in Scotland, where the RSPCA equivalent does not operate.) I live alone and have no family. Statistically, I can expect to outlive my two cats, but of course that's not guaranteed. I have an arrangement with a friend who would take short-term care of my cats in case of accident, and I carry her contact details in my purse. But I really should make more firm arrangements. I have made a will, but didn't have cats at the time, so there's nothing in it about them. It's the job that, famously, everyone puts off. And of course if you have immediate family, it's less urgent. But thanks for the nudge, Lilith. I need to get myself together and sort something out.
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by alanc »

I've never had any trouble with CP pestering me for more money than they get already and they are beneficiaries under my will (and know it). Tilly will have sufficient to keep her in the manner to which she is accustomed. My neighbor and myself have a mutual agreement that if one of us dies, our cats will go to the other. We think this will cause least stress to our precious kitties as we are the humans they are most comfortable with and all three cats are used to each other.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Thanks guys - a lot of good ideas :)

My solicitor was fine with the idea of the cats' 'dowries'. A rescue would have them straight to the vet for checkups, flea stuff, vaccinations etc, and this requires funds. So I feel that if they could go with money of their own it would be a help.

As some of you may know, my guys had to be fostered two and a half years ago due to my health (probable ME/CFS) and it was a revelation. I thought the older ones would be distressed and the younger one very adaptable. Nope. Emily and Mouse settled and bonded with their fosterer, who would have kept them; Molly, despite being given the run of the house in the rescue premises, was growly and hostile. I'd thought she hadn't been completely happy with me; I'd only taken her on because her previous home couldn't cope (she's a problem kitten) and had thought she might blossom in a home with younger cats - or a semi outdoor home like stables etc; I wouldn't have stood in her way if such a home had come up. When they returned she exploded out of her carrier and ran around fussing us all (rescue person, fosterer and me) like a friendly puppy. I realise she only wants to be here, with me, the little horror. Which poses problems.

Emily died at the beginning of August (I know I still have 3 cats listed but can't bear to alter that just yet.) A year ago Mousey went to the Wetherby Centre for hyperthyroid cats for radio-iodine treatment and despite being a timid ex-feral, adapted beautifully and is now a great big healthy glossy bundle again. That cat would settle anywhere I think, but I do hope she stays with me now till the end of her life (she's 16.) Molly, at 7, I hope she stays with me too, because I don't think she'd settle anywhere else at all. So I hope I outlive her. I too would countenance euthanasia rather than a cat spending its life in distress.

I've discussed all this with my friend Adrian (who is my husband, we're separated) and I think I'll apply for the introductory leaflet from the CP and take it from there. The above-mentioned rescue very kindly said they could take Emmy and Mouse back if I had further problems but I understand they're snowed under (like so many rescues. They were marvellous and I made sure they were well reimbursed; I still donate monthly.) So the CP option, as long as there is room, would be sensible ...

I hope this never has to happen!

But you have to think about these things.

Again thanks for all the info and insights :)