Bad breeder

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
bikergirl2842
Frequent Cat Chatter

Bad breeder

Post by bikergirl2842 »

I have got myself another kitten and he is (like all cats ) the cutest thing on four legs ever! However, I got him from an advert and it said she was a breeder and her British shorthair female got outside and got herself pregnant by the local stray so she had no interest in the kittens as they were not pure breeds.

I went with a friend who already has a house full of animals and we were shocked by what we found: she kept all the cats in the garage together with 12 rabbits. There was the mom, the kittens (she had a litter of 8 but I think a couple had gone) and she kept a female from a previous litter which was a few months old. It smelled horrendous! The litter trays were all overflowing. There were carpets on the floor but they were dirty. I had the boy I came for and my friend had his brother. She hadn’t planned to have any more but we just couldn’t leave them. We wanted to rescue the lot!

Both of them had fleas badly and tape worm and cat flu. They were advertised as 10weeks old, the vet reckons they were just 7 weeks! They have done brilliant in the week we’ve had them with medication and proper food. Their eyes are still a bit sticky but much better than they were.

I am so angry with the breeder! All including her precious breeding mum must have fleas and worms, as well as the rabbits. There was a total lack of caring but I’m guessing as far as the RSPCA is concerned they have food, water and shelter. Is there anything I can do?
Attachments
FD9A206F-7AB7-43AC-AF1D-A7CC65706B60.jpeg
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Bad breeder

Post by Ruth B »

I would suggest reporting her to the RSPCA as there is quite a thing regarding puppy and kitten farming at the moment so they might act.

The other group that might act is if she is breeding pedigree cats and selling them as pedigree cats, then if that breed of cat has an organisation representing it in this country then they might be able to help.

Unfortunately back yard breeders are one of the biggest problems and while cold common sense says not to take a cat from there you are only encouraging it, it is very hard when faced with kittens in those conditions to leave them behind.

i would also suggest letting any local charities know, while they can't do anything they can spread the word about a back yard breeder and hopefully stop some customers going to them.

he certainly is a cute little lad, let's hope he can put his bad start in life behind him and thrive.
ThorpeDave
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by ThorpeDave »

Ruth B wrote:I would suggest reporting her to the RSPCA as there is quite a thing regarding puppy and kitten farming at the moment so they might act.
Most definitely report them - shocking
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Lilith »

OMG That's horrendous, and good on you and your friend for taking them out of that.

As has been said, if the 'breeder' is registered with the GCCF (Governing Council of the Cat Fancy) they would certainly want to know and act on this; they have very stringent standards. But I don't suppose she is, by the sound of it. It could be worth inquiring though. Also the British Shorthair Cat Club -

http://www.britishshorthaircatclub.co.uk/index.html

Good luck.
bikergirl2842
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by bikergirl2842 »

Thank you, have reported it as you recommended.

George and Logan are both doing brilliantly, a week has made a massive difference already. George still needs eye drops and he also still has quite loose stool, although I think that might have to do with the worming medication.

But the idea that she will have the poor mother pregnant again as soon as possible and the younger female too just makes me so angry! I hope they take it seriously, I’m sure there are a lot of animals worse off but she will just create more misery
Sniper1
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 18

Post by Sniper1 »

Definitely report them and keep chasing them up for the results of their visit
bikergirl2842
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by bikergirl2842 »

I actually already had a call from the rspca, asking for a few more details like dates and which vets we saw etc and they have already been to the house today, but nobody answered. They are going back tonight to allow for full time jobs.

Must say that is a much quicker response than I expected!
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

could be you are not the first to bring this woman to their attention - could even be she has been warned before
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

That's very encouraging news - good luck!
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

Glad to hear the RSPCA are acting, hopefully the place will be shut down and the animals rehomed.
ThorpeDave
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by ThorpeDave »

bikergirl2842 wrote:I actually already had a call from the rspca, asking for a few more details like dates and which vets we saw etc and they have already been to the house today, but nobody answered. They are going back tonight to allow for full time jobs.

Must say that is a much quicker response than I expected!
Good for you -hope they get shut down and the poor cats get re homed and have a better life

I would hope that the RSPCA would have contacted the Vet to find out what condition the cats were in?

Please keep us informed if you hear any further news

Regards

Dave
bikergirl2842
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by bikergirl2842 »

Yes, Dave, that was exactly why he wanted the vet details. I used a form on the rspca website to report it so obviously didn’t give quite enough information. He said they would keep me informed but haven’t heard anything else since.
ThorpeDave
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by ThorpeDave »

bikergirl2842 wrote:Yes, Dave, that was exactly why he wanted the vet details. I used a form on the rspca website to report it so obviously didn’t give quite enough information. He said they would keep me informed but haven’t heard anything else since.
Well it is good that they are doing their homework!

Keep an eye on the local press - something may appear there ??