Outdoor cat

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Suzynick
Experienced Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 2

Outdoor cat

Post by Suzynick »

Hi

My brother and his family own a cat, she was previously owned by his fiancée and before they moved house together with a new baby they debated about rehoming her as they didn't think she would cope with the move. I recommended feliway and something else and she was fine. Although once their baby came along, they were concerned about her getting in to the cot (!) and also about her perhaps urinating in the house. I think the cat may have had some previous issues. Basically she pretty much lives outside, however there is a long passageway at the side of their house which is under cover and has a cat flap to the garden. It is dry but the roof is Perspex so although sheltered not warm.

She is allowed in the house at times, as there do appear to be areas where there are blankets/cushions intended for her to sleep on, but she does seem to appear to like being outside. She gets fed, has a vet plan so has regularly worming flea treatments etc so is being looked after, however I am looking after her this week whilst they are on holiday and I can't help feeling sorry for her! She has a snugglesafe which I recommended last year, and she has a snuggly bed however this is directly on the concrete so not great. I have at home a small rabbit shelter on legs that might be ok, my rabbit has completely dismissed it, and it should be a nice size for her to use. Last time they went away at a cold time of year I gave her a new blanket, they seemed ok with this but I don't want to look like I'm being critical of her current living arrangments!

Any other ideas? I don't think she needs to be rehomed, they do love her and so do the children.
Thanks in advance!
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Outdoor cat

Post by Janey »

Well one thing I can suggest for the Snugglesafe is straw, my ferals love that. Don’t use hay as that can mould but straw is well lijked with my lot, it’s not dear and lasts a long time. I now have an outdoor wooden shed for my ferals, with lots of soft bedding in, but they do still like the Snugs with the hay in too, although you can get hedgehogs in!
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

Could you offer your rabbit shelter along the lines of 'I'm getting rid of it as the rabbits won't use it, would your cat like to try it', if they think it is just an offer of something that would be getting thrown out or given away anyway they shouldn't take offence. You could also mention that it would be an option if the Snugglesafe got wet inside (if she came in after getting caught in the rain), an outside bed doesn't dry as quickly as one by a radiator.

It does sound like she is still well looked after and hopefully they will start letting her in more so she and the child can learn how to behave around the other.
Suzynick
Experienced Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by Suzynick »

Thanks both, yes I read earlier about putting straw in, I have used straw in my rabbit hutch before as I read it was better than hay. Love hedgehogs! Have three hedgehog houses in my garden but sadly I think all empty :(

I don't think they'd take offence over the rabbit shelter, although after chucking one of the cat beds out earlier (it was pretty much stuck to the ground and filthy), I looked again at the shelter and think its too wide for the area..... :( Might take it round tomorrow anyway to try.

I went round this evening and gave her some fuss and actually it seemed an ok temperature, and her body has felt nice and warm when I've stroked her.

Definitely hoping when the kids are a bit bigger they will not bother her so much and like you say come in a bit more.

Thanks again for the suggestions!
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Kay »

I've been looking after two stray cats for a couple of years now - they live outside my enclosed patio, in wooden kennels - they survived OK last winter which was pretty cold, thanks I believe to Flectabeds, which reflect the cat's own body heat

I think with any kind of outdoor enclosure the most important thing is to avoid air pockets, and straw would do this, and even better if the space is pretty snug to start with - Mr Snugs kennels are ideal for this - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mr-Snugs-Plast ... s=mr+snugs although my two outdoor cats have a kennel and bed each, I notice when it's really cold they snuggle up together, even though one is an unneutered tom and the other an neutered female