Having to have your cat PTS

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
june123
New Cat Chatter

Having to have your cat PTS

Post by june123 »

Hello
My cat Spike is 23 years old, I have had him since he was 8 weeks old. A wonderful little cat, so loving and affectionate. Recently he has got weak on his back legs and lost quite a bit of weight, the vet said he probably has a urine infection and prescribed antibiotics. Spike is now unable to , Im trying all different foods to get him to eat. Today I thought it was time to say goodbye, he ate and drank and looked bright so I called my vet and said I wanted to give him another day or two, he said he wanted to see him on Monday. Tonight Spike is making a funny sort of meow, I dont think he is in pain but he cant understand why he cant get up,it is the most horrible decision to make and we are so upset, if he is bad tomorrow I will take him . I just wish I could wake up and he just be as he was healthy and running around. I will miss him all my days, heartbroken.
Judy Barnett
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Having to have your cat PTS

Post by Judy Barnett »

I am so very sorry. I think we have all been in this place. They are so much a part of our lives that its impossible to imagine life without them. 23! Wow. What a fantastic happy home you must have made for him. I'm sending you and Spike a big hug and will be thinking about you. Xx
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

I'll be thinking about you both too. Good luck and hugs, Lil x
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

I'm so sorry for you, we have all been there and had to make that decision and it never gets any easier.

Hugs to you and a fuss for Spike today, and if you decide it is time then let hem go peacefully to sleep with the help of your vet, try and remember the long happy life he had and don't feel guilty about letting him go.
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by alanc »

Very sad to read this. Its a decision we all have to take eventually and it is never easy.
june123
New Cat Chatter

Post by june123 »

Thank you for your good wishes.
I had to have Spike PTS this afternoon, I am heartbroken he could not lift his head and eat anything. I love him so much, I tried my hardest to help him and I will miss him all my days,
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Ruth B »

I am sorry to hear this, but not surprised from the way you described him.

You have helped him. In the end you have given him the greatest gift, a long happy life and a peaceful, pain free end. You have decided to accept hurt yourself so he doesn't have to.

Concentrate on remembering the good times you had with him.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

I'm so sorry to hear, June.

I think you knew, didn't you, but even when we do, it is still hard to let them go. They're lent to us for a while but that knowledge never helps, I realise myself.

Love and hugs, Lil x
Judy Barnett
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Judy Barnett »

I'll be thinking of you, all the best xx
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by Mayday21 »

Hi June my heart goes out to you on losing Spike. Wow 23 yrs that’s fantastic hold onto that. Rest assured he’ll always be with you. Why would he leave after being loved for all that time. Pls be kind to yourself as you grieve & post whatever & whenever as people here empathise & understand. As Lilith said “There lent to us for a while but that knowledge never helps.”
Judy Barnett
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Judy Barnett »

How are you doing June x
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

I have just seen your post June. I have been so wrapped up in my own misery and grief I have forgotten that others are going through it too. I am so sorry for your loss. Perhaps your Spike will take my Freddie under his wing at the Bridge. He needs a big brother, he's only a little boy. :cry:
Oddcat
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by Oddcat »

June, Bobbys Girl, I am so very sorry for your losses. My dear Cupcake went to the Bridge a few weeks before Christmas; she was PTS following a badger attack and a 2am dash to the emergency vets. No matter how they leave us, or what age they are, it never hurts any less.

I haven't felt able to talk about Cupcake's passing until now, but I wanted you both to know that Cupcake was a sweet, gentle, silly girl; and I feel sure she would have been waiting for Spike and Freddie at the Bridge. To mother sweet young Freddie, and as a companion for grand old Spike. I'm sure the three of them are all together right now, just like we three are together in our grief and CatChat companionship .... sending love and hugs.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Hey Oddcat I think I missed hearing about Cupcake - that's awful. I've heard about badgers attacking chickens, didn't realise they could hurt cats.

Very sorry to hear, love and hugs, Lil x
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mayday21 »

Hello Oddcat so much sad news. Feeling for you, Bobby’s Girl & June. I volunteer for a vet at weekends & one of the vet nurses whom I’m very fond of said to me on me telling her how sad I was about lovely Freddie “He’s at the bridge with Mayday, Elsa & Penny”. Now we can add Cupcake & Spike. Thinking of everyone. It’s tough and as another friend summed up “It sucks. Just sucks no other words for it.” (((Hugs))) to everyone. Vivian
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Oddcat, you cupcake sounds just like my Freddie - soft, sweet and gentle. Since he has gone his brother Billy and my other boy Bob can't share the same room!. Freddie was peacemaker. He used to get so upset at kitty quarrels that it stopped them in their tracks.

It is such a comfort to have understanding folks like all of you around providing such support.