Just moved house - my plan & any advice please

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Jodie
Frequent Cat Chatter

Just moved house - my plan & any advice please

Post by Jodie »

We moved house on Wednesday. Toby and Lottie are nearly 15 and had to go into a cattery for the first times in their lives as well as coming back to a different house, so obviously traumatic. Their safe room has temporarily had to be our lounge (had to make this decision in minutes of moving in as we realized it wasn't immediately practical to have the room we wanted as our lounge) but works out well as there's room one end for litter trays, food bowls etc and they have our company.

We are all planning to play with them each day which we'll start later. Have scratch mats/posts, cat grass, catnip as well. Lottie is desperate to leave the room as she shadows me everywhere. Toby who loves the outdoors is quieter, he has found himself a quiet spot but will come out for toilet, food and if we give him attention.

I was thinking about giving them 48 hours and then letting them have access to the hall & landing (if they want). If that goes ok, then one room a day. That will give us time to get the rooms straight and safe before they have access as well.

Does this sound okay? Does anyone have any other advice?
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Just moved house - my plan & any advice please

Post by greenkitty »

I would let them set the pace, if Lottie is keen to explore I would let her and perhaps Toby will follow suit but if he doesn't want to I'm sure he'll stay in his little spot.
Shelly and Dora
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Shelly and Dora »

I tend to agree about letting them set the pace.

When I moved with Dora I let her into just the lounge which she sniffed round and then asked to be let into the entrance hall so I let her through. It took her about 45 minutes to go round every room, then as everything furniture wise and human wise was normal I think she just accepted it was our new home, jumped on the sofa and went to sleep!!
Lyn from Australia
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 9

Post by Lyn from Australia »

Trust Dora to be the perfect cat after a move!! :roll: :lol:

It seems as if Tobie and Lottie are doing quite well. It would be my inclination to have all their stuff in one place as you have, but if there's no way for them to get out doors leave their door ajar and see how they go. If either of them bale themselves up in dark corners or you are worried, by all means put them both back in their room for now, otherwise just let them do as they wish. My eldest two only needed a half day while the removalists were in then were quite happy to follow me about and sleep with me as per usual.

Keep in touch with their progress.