cbd oil

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Sandra b
Experienced Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 1

cbd oil

Post by Sandra b »

Hi, Was wondering if anyone has used cbd oil for their cats illnesses/issues? I recently started using it for my cats anxiety and it seems to be making a difference. I tried everything from vet but nothing helped, the last resort was Atopica but it’s an immunosuppressant and I didn’t want to use it on my 16year old boy. He was pulling a lot of fur out and over grooming but no more clumps of fur around so I feel it’s really helped. Would be interested if anyone has used it with positive or negative results. Thanks!
Judy Barnett
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: cbd oil

Post by Judy Barnett »

I don't know about CBD Oil being used on cats but I've been using it for my joints for about two years now and its brilliant. It tastes nutty and a bit strange but worth holding your nose for. I've also read that its good for hair and skin, but that's about humans. What does your vet think?
Sandra b
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by Sandra b »

My vet won’t give me any advice as it’s not liscensed for animals, I did ask but she couldn’t. Also the website I buy from ( simply cbd) cant give advice. There is a facebook forum you can talk to people who use it. I did my own research and found the reviews very positive so thought it was worth trying it. It’s a natural product and I felt it was a better option for my boy than the heavy drug Atopica which can cause really bad side effects.
Judy Barnett
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Judy Barnett »

I can't really see you having any problems with it as long as its used sparingly, its fairly innocuous but as they say, cyclones are 'natural' too! :D Let us know how you go on with it.
Judy Barnett
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Judy Barnett »

Beautiful cat by the way!
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

There has been one study into the effects in dogs (http://skeptvet.com/Blog/2018/07/eviden ... t-in-dogs/; https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10 ... 00165/full) but none in cats, so such information as is available is anecdotal. I have considered it for Pippin, but had a number of worries:
Cats react to drugs in very differently to humans and dogs - many things that are safe for other species are toxic to cats
The oils available are pretty unregulated, so the levels of CBD and THC may vary, and vary from what is stated on the label
Because of the lack of regulation and research, there are no dosage or safe level guidelines established or cats, even if the CBD and THC levels can be relied upon

In the end I decided against it, while continuing to monitor the research.
Sandra b
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by Sandra b »

Thanks for the replies. I will read the articles in the link fjm, thank you. Judy, Murphy says thanks for the compliment!
I will keep going with it for now as I do feel it has made a difference.keep you all posted.