Other pet owners and Fleas

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Post Reply
Jadey1516
New Cat Chatter
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:46 am

Other pet owners and Fleas

Post by Jadey1516 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:01 am

Hi all,

I joined just now as need some advice on what to do to protect my cats in regards to fleas.

My little ones are house cats and therefore rarely get fleas and shouldn't really get them at all.

The only time they get them is when I go out to a social group in which there is another cat owner who I know doesn't treat his outdoor cat properly to prevent fleas. He just uses the spray to kill the fleas every now and again. This is common amongst cats in his street. (I cat sat ages ago )

I must be bringing them back on my clothes when at this social club. Any tips on how to reduce/stop them coming back with me? I don't know this person well enough to question why he isn't using better flea products.

We treat ours with Advantage Spot on, prevent and kill one.

User avatar
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
Posts: 3647
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:00 pm
No. of cats in household: 1
Location: West Yorks

Re: Other pet owners and Fleas

Post by Lilith » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:12 am

Hi and welcome :)

A relative used to visit me, with his dog, for afternoon tea now and again ... you know how you get that second sense that something is wrong about a person, I was right, and I'm not a sociable person anyway ... plus it cost me £20 after every visit to get rid of the fleas the dratted dog had brought! My guys are house cats, with a secure garden; they don't roam. So I really sympathise with your dilemma. I told the guy not to come again, cravenly not mentioning the fleas, but if you want to go on with the social group you definitely need to discourage the fleas ...

Perfumes are very subjective of course, but many essential oils are good insect repellents - lavender and patchouli for instance. If you're into hippy stuff patchouli ought to be just your thing ... or I believe there are patchouli scents on the market. I love it, but then I'm into hippy stuff. (No wonder the fleas stay away!) Lavender's a bit laundry-ish, but no self-respecting flea ought to approach you ha ha ...

Hope other people will be along with more ideas but hope this helps for now - best of luck! :)

User avatar
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
Posts: 711
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:58 am
No. of cats in household: 1
Location: UK

Re: Other pet owners and Fleas

Post by Mollycat » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:17 am

This guy must have a real bad infestation for fleas to be on him in the first place. Fleas don't like biting people and will always choose a cat or dog if there's room, hence owners of a cat with a normal amount of fleas under control but not completely free shouldn't even know they're there. Problems like adult fleas travelling on people should really only happen if his animals and home are rife.

Does anyone have responsibility for organising these socials or is it just a group of people? Is there anyone you could complain to about this?

Also, maybe treating your entire house might be a smart move simply because any that have got through in the past and laid eggs in soft furnishings could have set up a small colony, and treating your cats might not be enough to wipe them out.

As Lilith says maybe essential oils on you or how about a small amount of spot-on on your clothes?

User avatar
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
Posts: 3647
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:00 pm
No. of cats in household: 1
Location: West Yorks

Re: Other pet owners and Fleas

Post by Lilith » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:30 am

Fleas don't like biting people?

They like biting me. It's the first sign of any infestation - the red spotty itchy ankles!

Mind you, I don't know my ancestry for sure ... perhaps I've got cat blood in my veins and that attracts the thirsty flea ... :lol:

User avatar
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
Posts: 711
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:58 am
No. of cats in household: 1
Location: UK

Re: Other pet owners and Fleas

Post by Mollycat » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:57 am

Lilith wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:30 am
Fleas don't like biting people?

They like biting me. It's the first sign of any infestation - the red spotty itchy ankles!

Mind you, I don't know my ancestry for sure ... perhaps I've got cat blood in my veins and that attracts the thirsty flea ... :lol:
:lol: There's always one!!!

User avatar
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
Posts: 3647
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:00 pm
No. of cats in household: 1
Location: West Yorks

Re: Other pet owners and Fleas

Post by Lilith » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:26 pm

... And I'm it ... :D :D :D :lol: :lol: :lol:

User avatar
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
Posts: 711
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:58 am
No. of cats in household: 1
Location: UK

Re: Other pet owners and Fleas

Post by Mollycat » Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:15 pm

Well done for taking this hit for the team!

Jadey1516
New Cat Chatter
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:46 am

Re: Other pet owners and Fleas

Post by Jadey1516 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:05 pm

Mollycat wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:57 am
Lilith wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:30 am
Fleas don't like biting people?

They like biting me. It's the first sign of any infestation - the red spotty itchy ankles!

Mind you, I don't know my ancestry for sure ... perhaps I've got cat blood in my veins and that attracts the thirsty flea ... :lol:
:lol: There's always one!!!
They go for me too. :( Don't touch my partner though.

Jadey1516
New Cat Chatter
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:46 am

Re: Other pet owners and Fleas

Post by Jadey1516 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:14 pm

Mollycat wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:17 am
This guy must have a real bad infestation for fleas to be on him in the first place. Fleas don't like biting people and will always choose a cat or dog if there's room, hence owners of a cat with a normal amount of fleas under control but not completely free shouldn't even know they're there. Problems like adult fleas travelling on people should really only happen if his animals and home are rife.

Does anyone have responsibility for organising these socials or is it just a group of people? Is there anyone you could complain to about this?

Also, maybe treating your entire house might be a smart move simply because any that have got through in the past and laid eggs in soft furnishings could have set up a small colony, and treating your cats might not be enough to wipe them out.

As Lilith says maybe essential oils on you or how about a small amount of spot-on on your clothes?
Oh yeah, it is really bad. He asked me to cat sit again about a month after the first time. I said I was busy. His cat had lots, you could see them constantly and I only nipped in for about 10 mins and sent partner at times.

Only treats with cheap spray. Bob Martin or something.

Yeah, I considered mentioning to the organiser of the group but kinda awkward as the cat owner is almost twice my age.

Good idea, we only did the cats this time though did the house last time. Socials are once or twice a month.

Would Spot on work on my clothes as would they go to a particular area?

Thanks for your help, much appreciated. :)
Last edited by Jadey1516 on Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jadey1516
New Cat Chatter
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:46 am

Re: Other pet owners and Fleas

Post by Jadey1516 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:19 pm

Lilith wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:12 am
Hi and welcome :)

A relative used to visit me, with his dog, for afternoon tea now and again ... you know how you get that second sense that something is wrong about a person, I was right, and I'm not a sociable person anyway ... plus it cost me £20 after every visit to get rid of the fleas the dratted dog had brought! My guys are house cats, with a secure garden; they don't roam. So I really sympathise with your dilemma. I told the guy not to come again, cravenly not mentioning the fleas, but if you want to go on with the social group you definitely need to discourage the fleas ...

Perfumes are very subjective of course, but many essential oils are good insect repellents - lavender and patchouli for instance. If you're into hippy stuff patchouli ought to be just your thing ... or I believe there are patchouli scents on the market. I love it, but then I'm into hippy stuff. (No wonder the fleas stay away!) Lavender's a bit laundry-ish, but no self-respecting flea ought to approach you ha ha ...

Hope other people will be along with more ideas but hope this helps for now - best of luck! :)

Thanks for the welcome and reply.

Yeah, it's frustrating as house cats shouldn't have to deal with fleas. Have been keeping some spot on in though feel sorry for my little ones. Yeah, more awkward with a group.

Ooo thanks for that. Will have a look for a lavender essential oil spray. If need be, could make one with essential oil and some sort of base in a spray bottle.

Much appreciated. Hopefully will protect my little ones better. :)

User avatar
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
Posts: 711
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:58 am
No. of cats in household: 1
Location: UK

Re: Other pet owners and Fleas

Post by Mollycat » Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:04 pm

Jadey1516 wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:14 pm

Yeah, I considered mentioning to the organiser of the group but kinda awkward as the cat owner is almost twice my age.

Would Spot on work on my clothes as would they go to a particular area?
There's no age rankings when it comes to good animal care and pest control. An 18 year old has every right to tell and 80 year old they need to sort out their flea problem!

I don't know is the honest answer, they don't need to get all that close on a cat so might be worth a try, but I would do it on old clothes just in case it damaged or marked the fabric!

User avatar
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
Posts: 3647
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:00 pm
No. of cats in household: 1
Location: West Yorks

Re: Other pet owners and Fleas

Post by Lilith » Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:05 pm

Umm, you could try spraying the seat (of your clothes) and the arms. About 18 years ago I had a load of ferals moving in - complete with kittens, and I couldn't spray young kittens. One lot settled in a plastic box, with blanket, and after the CP had kindly taken them the flea dirts poured out of that box like sand ... :o My favourite chair had a plush throw on it and of an evening I could see flea larvae raise their heads and waggle at me! :shock: :shock: :shock:

I itch at the memory.

Lol Mollycat, why does this song come to mind?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14ViwvgtvbA

And why are those two guitarists hopping about? Because flea treatments weren't as efficient in them days. (They all come out and groove about.) In fact you can spot one guy beating the little blighters off his backside ... :lol:

I itch, I itch ... my dreads are crawling ... :( :( :(

Jadey - good luck! :D

User avatar
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
Posts: 711
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:58 am
No. of cats in household: 1
Location: UK

Re: Other pet owners and Fleas

Post by Mollycat » Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:07 am

Lilith wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:05 pm
Lol Mollycat, why does this song come to mind?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14ViwvgtvbA

And why are those two guitarists hopping about? Because flea treatments weren't as efficient in them days. (They all come out and groove about.) In fact you can spot one guy beating the little blighters off his backside ... :lol:

I itch, I itch ... my dreads are crawling ... :( :( :(

Jadey - good luck! :D
You are funny ... and have way too much time on your hands! :D :lol: :D :lol: :D

User avatar
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
Posts: 3647
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:00 pm
No. of cats in household: 1
Location: West Yorks

Re: Other pet owners and Fleas

Post by Lilith » Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:08 am

Mollycat wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:07 am
Lilith wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:05 pm
Lol Mollycat, why does this song come to mind?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14ViwvgtvbA

And why are those two guitarists hopping about? Because flea treatments weren't as efficient in them days. (They all come out and groove about.) In fact you can spot one guy beating the little blighters off his backside ... :lol:

I itch, I itch ... my dreads are crawling ... :( :( :(

Jadey - good luck! :D
You are funny ... and have way too much time on your hands! :D :lol: :D :lol: :D
I know, I know, it's dangerous :lol:

issiandarchie+68
VIP Cat Chatter!
Posts: 212
Joined: Mon May 02, 2016 10:45 am

Re: Other pet owners and Fleas

Post by issiandarchie+68 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:18 pm

Jadey1516 wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:14 pm
Mollycat wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:17 am
This guy must have a real bad infestation for fleas to be on him in the first place. Fleas don't like biting people and will always choose a cat or dog if there's room, hence owners of a cat with a normal amount of fleas under control but not completely free shouldn't even know they're there. Problems like adult fleas travelling on people should really only happen if his animals and home are rife.

Does anyone have responsibility for organising these socials or is it just a group of people? Is there anyone you could complain to about this?

Also, maybe treating your entire house might be a smart move simply because any that have got through in the past and laid eggs in soft furnishings could have set up a small colony, and treating your cats might not be enough to wipe them out.

As Lilith says maybe essential oils on you or how about a small amount of spot-on on your clothes?
Oh yeah, it is really bad. He asked me to cat sit again about a month after the first time. I said I was busy. His cat had lots, you could see them constantly and I only nipped in for about 10 mins and sent partner at times.

Only treats with cheap spray. Bob Martin or something.

Yeah, I considered mentioning to the organiser of the group but kinda awkward as the cat owner is almost twice my age.

Good idea, we only did the cats this time though did the house last time. Socials are once or twice a month.

Would Spot on work on my clothes as would they go to a particular area?

Thanks for your help, much appreciated. :)


I think it's cruel and uncaring for your friend to leave his cat hoaching with fleas. Poor wee pet must be downright miserable being bitten 24/7 all over it's little body. Some years back, my son lived with his then girlfriend who turned out to be a right clatty madam. She owned 8 Yorkshire terriers and counting, plus 9 cats, all badly infested. Thankfully he is now happily married to a lass who uses soap. Whenever I went over to visit/pet sit, I would quietly land a drop of flea treatment at the back of the animal's necks, if nothing else but to give them some relief. When we took in Armand, he was absolutely louping, I ran a comb down his back and it was covered in the little blighters, his skin bitten raw. The Vet said he was lucky he hadn't contracted septicaemia. Just a thought, but if nothing else but to help the cat, could you not visit/pet sit and give the wee thing a drop of relief?

Issi

Marla
VIP Cat Chatter!
Posts: 303
Joined: Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:23 pm
No. of cats in household: 2
Contact:

Re: Other pet owners and Fleas

Post by Marla » Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:45 pm

We've adopted 5 cats over the years - all of them came with fleas. I agree that it's cruel and uncaring.

I wouldn't put flea treatment on someone else's cat without asking their permission, though, just in case they've just treated it or are just about to.

issiandarchie+68
VIP Cat Chatter!
Posts: 212
Joined: Mon May 02, 2016 10:45 am

Re: Other pet owners and Fleas

Post by issiandarchie+68 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:42 pm

You are quite right of course Marla, but oh sometimes when I hear these stories I just want to crush a grape! In the case of my son's ex..it didn't really matter if I 'interfered', never a drop of flea treatment (or detergent) entered her house. We eventually managed to convince her to have the cats adopted, we took one in to join our brood, and oh what a mess he was in. This was to give her more space as she also had 3 children from previous relationships and complained she couldn't cope. She promptly added yet more Yorkshire terriers, total to date being 17. Yes her house is still manky, her dogs still have fleas and thankfully, my son grew up pretty damn fast after that experience!

Issi

Catotum
Experienced Cat Chatter
Posts: 59
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:18 pm

Re: Other pet owners and Fleas

Post by Catotum » Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:53 pm

I haven't read all the other comments but, frankly, I'd stop my visits to the flea infested household!

You could wear a good insect repellant. Spray yourself & your clothes, particular feet & waist. It will be an almost impossible battle though. Maybe I'd drop a note in saying you just can't carry on because of the problems. The pet(s) in question will get worms, too, because they'll bite at the fleas & fleas carry larval worms, so it is very bad news all around.

One other point: fleas can stay dormant in cracks & crevices for a very long time & will emerge after disturbance. This happens particularly in older buildings. Treating the house with a product like Indorex can solve that problem, if the instructions are followed carefully. Even after a friend learnt to regularly apply flea spot-ons to his cats, they continued to pick them up until carpets, corners, cupboards & underbeds were treated with Indorex - which is actually hardly noticeable after use.

I offered to catsit for neighbours & sitting on their couch to socialise with the cats I found it was hopping with fleas. He was actually a police sergeant & must've been taking fleas into work with him, gods forbid. It isn't funny, is it? As for flea choice in biting humans - it is almost entirely not choice, actually, but the degree to which the bitten is allergic to the biter.

I am one of the massively allergic people. :(

Post Reply