10 years on

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

10 years on

Post by booktigger »

I’ve been fostering for 10 years today! It hasn’t all been for the same charity though, I’ve fostered for 3 in total, but am back with the charity I started with 10 years ago. In that time I’ve fostered 178 cats/kittens, and now seem to do mostly mums and kittens, which is ironic as my second fosters were mum and 5 5week old kittens, and I hated it! For 7 years I had one litter a year, and every time I did it made me realise how much I didn’t like kittens. But a few years ago, due to being short of fosterers, I ended up with litter after litter, and while they are still hard work, I don’t mind them as much as I used to. I’ve made some fantastic friends, and fostering has helped me get through some rough times with my own cats.

My favourites though are the shy nervous ones, simple things that we take for granted with our own cats such as a purr, mean so much – you really know you have made such a difference to their lives. With mum and kittens, you know you have saved them from a short life of breeding. And then of course, the oldies whose lives I have literally saved by picking them up from the vet when their owners wanted them to be pts.

The sad part though is that the level of cats needing help seems to have gone up, rather than down, and homing seems to be going down rather than up.

Here’s to the next 10 years.
Jacks
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 7

Re: 10 years on

Post by Jacks »

My! 10 years of Fostering! That's quite an achievement in itself; I've read how hard others have found it - but to have seen 178 on their way to loving homes is amazing. Lot of heartache there as well as joy, I'm thinking.

Met a woman last night I hadn't seen for years, who had been told I was now a 'cat person' and she mentioned that her neighbour had over 30 but they all lived outside and none of them were neutered... in fact she didn't actually know how many she had as they kept breeding... well what a surprise. I urged this lady to ask her neighbour to get them 'fixed' before it got completely out of hand, but I suspect nothing will be done until she can't cope anymore.

I hope the next 10 years sees something start to change in attitudes and levels of ignorance, as well as numbers. So many people still have no idea what they're doing by allowing unneutered cats to wander :-(
Themogfather
Experienced Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by Themogfather »

Congratulations on your ten years. Thanks for all the hard work and the many cats and kittens you have rehomed..
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

Thanks, there has been heartache as well but worth it.

Jacks, sadly people like your friends neighbour are wha5 keeps us busy. I can send you one of our neutering leaflets to give to them if you want
Jacks
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 7

Post by Jacks »

Yes please, booktigger - I'll make sure it gets passed on.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

Great, send me your address and I'll post it this week
Walesgang
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Walesgang »

Well done and thanks for helping all those cats.

Wish there were more like you. Makes me feel rather ineffective with the 6 I have helped (although I have kept them all so it's probably a good job I don't foster :D )
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

Thanks Val. I do sometimes wish I could help more than I do
claire_lee
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by claire_lee »

I just wanted to say well done for helping so many cats during the 10 years you have been fostering. people like you do a fantastic job without much recognition and it must be hard to give up the furries you have become attached to even though you know they are going to good homes....I know I would find it hard.

Well done and thank you - have you been able to keep a count of all the cats you have helped in the last 10 years.... :)
claire_lee
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by claire_lee »

Just seen that you did say how many - OH came in when I was in the middle of posting so I couldn't remember.

178 fantastic !
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

:) To be honest, I don't find it that hard to let them go, I know they are going to a good hone and it enables me to help more needy cats
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by lilynmitz »

Congratulations Desley, the world needs more people like you. What a lot of lives you've helped change for the better!
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

Thanks Anna. That number is only the cats I've physically fostered, doesn't include the ones helped by photographing/advertising and fundraising
KittyWitty
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by KittyWitty »

Wow - 10 years! :o :o well done - that is amazing!

Some day I would love to foster but we are just not in a position where we could for now, in a couple of years hopefully!
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Brilliant, Booktigger! And you have your own babies as well. You are a star!
Hunnybunny
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Hunnybunny »

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Hazel
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Hazel »

178 cats in 10 years? Wow, well done!!!
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

Thanks guys. Sarah, I changed vets last year and she was stunned when I said I had 2 cats, its very low for someone in cat rescue, but I have expensive cats!

Hazel, at one point I had so many long termers that I though I would struggle to foster 100 by 10 years, never dreamed I would be closer to 200.
elastu
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 0

Post by elastu »

Well done on your 10 years. Having done over 20 years I know the heartbreak and joys you must have gone through.

Unfortunately I can't do it now as I live in France and don't speak French very well. Although I do go to the fundraising events of a cat rescue run by British people.

Good luck for the next 10 years.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

How fabulous - well done on your 10 years! As someone just starting out, I'm in awe! :)
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

Thanks Ela - I didn't realise you had moved to France.

Thanks Crewella, but there are people out there who do way more than me to be in awe of!!
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by meriad »

10 years - wow, congratulations and on behalf of all the cats that have been helped Thanks!

People like you do an amazing job - and the world is a better place for it.

Well done!
PeanutsFriend
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 8

Post by PeanutsFriend »

Saving them is best mission
Great!
Jill