Whinging or greeting?

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
suziesingh
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 2

Whinging or greeting?

Post by suziesingh »

My cat either loves greeting or whinging to visitors at the door.
He used to be a bit scared when someone came into our house but now as soon as someone comes whether they have been there before or for the first time, he comes to the door and starts to meow at them continuously.
I'm not sure why he has started doing that over the last few months, he is 3 and a half years old now. Could it be because now we have a second cat in the house?
He gets lots of attention already. He gets on fine with the other cat too.
She is super timid, disappears if anyone comes to the house and he is now super friendly and very playful with everyone.
He has always had a very nice nature but now no longer fearful of strangers. They are both indoor cats.
However what is unusual is he is scared of the doorbell sound, so better if we open the door before anyone actually rings the doorbell.
Also he does not like the mobile phone. If anyone talks on a mobile phone, he attacks their feet. He does not like hearing a disembodied voice. He is even spooked by mobile phones ringing on TV. Sounds and quick movements spook him but he settles just as quickly. Even television sometimes spooks him, especially if the person's face fills the screen. Does anyone have these kind of issues with their cat? I still have to close myself in another room if I want to talk on my mobile phone because he doesn't like it.
Attachments
Ivo 4.JPG
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Whinging or greeting?

Post by Mollycat »

We have a dog who can't stand the phones. I think it's the pitch of the ringing and strange sharp noise of talking through it as well. He never had a problem before apparently, only since moving in with me. He tends to get gummy ears sometimes.

Have you ruled out the possibility of your cat having some kind of mild ear infection? A doorbell is a sudden loud piercing noise so being sensitive to it would be understandable, especially for a shy cat. He could even have picked it up from the other cat, maybe?

About the other cat in the house, cats tend to take on roles, so one will be responsible for waking you up, one will be the greeter, and so on, unlike dogs where there is often one top dog.
Catotum
Experienced Cat Chatter

Re: Whinging or greeting?

Post by Catotum »

Mollycat makes good points! Also, cats do go through different phases in their behaviour, as they mature, so that might be part of the explanation.

I suspect the noises are unpleasant. It is possible for cats to hear frequencies that we cannot, which can be very unpleasant for them. Loud doorbells are frightening for cats, too. Their hearing is so sensitive, a sudden immensely loud noise can be very disturbing.

Use distraction techniques for the foot attacks, just in case that particularly painful behaviour gets established or transferred to something else. It may be that just comforting words & a stroke with a mild no would work. Be calm & soothing as anything else will have a negative impact, even if your feet are impaled ... :roll: