Cat nail Caps

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
charlie_rabbit01
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Cat nail Caps

Post by charlie_rabbit01 »

I was looking for a sock for Denzel poor sausage burnt his paw on the stove, not very badly but still a burn.

Whilst looking for socks, I found these http://www.softpaws.com/about.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; anyone seen them before? Not sure they are something i'd like to use.

http://www.softpaws.com/about.html
Amyracecar
New Cat Chatter

Re: Cat nail Caps

Post by Amyracecar »

I don't think I'd use them. I just don't see how it could be comfy for a cat even if my two sat still long enough for me to put them on. Also mine go outdoors and I'd be worried about then not having there proper claws to climb with or defend themselves in a fight with.

Maybe if I had an indoor cat who was a chronic furniture scratcher I'd give it a try.
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by greenkitty »

They often use these for cats with injuries caused by them scratching themselves, softens the impact of the scratch on tender or already damaged skin.
charlie_rabbit01
VIP Cat Chatter!

I'd never heard of them before.
Lyn from Australia
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 9

Post by Lyn from Australia »

Poor Denzel. I'm glad he wasn't badly burned. I've always had a terrible fear of this happening, especially as I have an electric stove and I don't stop my cats getting up on to benches (being indoor cats they have enough restrictions). I am always very careful to immediately cover the electric elements once I move the saucepan - usually with another pan with a bit of water in it.

I've heard of soft paws. Jackson Galaxy recommends them as an alternative to de-clawing, which as you know is prevalent in the US and something a behaviourist there would have to deal with quite a bit. Quite a few of his cases that I've seen on TV deal with previously declawed cats and the problems that being declawed has caused them. Poor things!
oggers86
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by oggers86 »

I wouldn't want to use them with my cats, they might damage stuff or scratch me but that is part of cat ownership. I have recently clipped Elsworth's claws and it has made a difference to the sharpness so as I have no intention of letting him roam I will continue to clip them.
Lyn from Australia
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 9

Post by Lyn from Australia »

Yes, I agree. Some people just can't seem to deal with scratches on themselves or furniture, no matter how much they think they love their cats!
One case I did agree with using soft paws was on TV the other night. The cat's owner was 95 - even a minor scratch to you and I at our respective ages becomes a major injury because of how thin human skin becomes as we age. The soft paws plus having the behaviourist help with the aggression meant that this lady with the help of her daughter can continue to enjoy the joys of owning a cat without the bloodshed, even if from now on it would be accidental. It was a gorgeous episode.
If I am lucky enough to live another 20 - 40 years I will probably cover their claws too. Even at 56 (on Thursday!) the skin on my hands is becoming noticably thinner.
I trim all of my cats' claws, except for Summer who spends a large portion of the day outdoors and needs her claws for protection.
KittyWitty
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by KittyWitty »

Seen these on My Cat From Hell - definitely better than de-clawing but still a bit iffy!
charlie_rabbit01
VIP Cat Chatter!

they sort of remind me of false nails for humans and i've tried those, not very comfy!
mommakitty
New Cat Chatter

Post by mommakitty »

I use them on my cat, she is an indoor kitty only. She is not bothered by them at all. I like them a lot, they are easy to put on and also remove. I refuse to declaw any cat I have, but I will not have my furniture scratched up. :)