Should I give in ?

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
papa cat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 0

Should I give in ?

Post by papa cat »

One of my cats regularly changes the place where she sleeps/rests, usually about every three weeks.
For about the last ten days she has favoured being on the very top of the headboard of my bed, leaning against the wall to stop herself falling down the back.
I found that extremely irritating because she fidgets, and grooms and scratches herself, (as cats do !) and sometimes nearly slides down the back which results in frantic scrabbling to regain her position of comfort.
Yesterday, when I got up in the night to go to the toilet she also got down and went to her food bowls to graze, so when I went back to bed I shut the bedroom door. There was a short spell of pawing at the door but that didn't last long and for the rest of the night I slept well with no disturbances.
Today when I got up I found her sleeping in her covered litter box !
I 'Googled' that and discovered that (amongst other things) it is a sign of stress, which is understandable as I had deprived her of her current favourite sleeping spot.
I feel quite guilty now as I hate to upset her, so should I give in and let her back in the room or maybe take some other action to discourage her from sleeping on top of the headboard and disturbing my sleep ?
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Should I give in ?

Post by Lilith »

Well, she is an awkward little horror.

I'd personally be inclined to let her back into the bedroom - but make it very discouraging to get on the headboard - or even remove the headboard if that's feasible? If it has to stay in place, perhaps fix a length of tinfoil or a slitted binliner or two like a sleeve along the top. Rustly and slithery and not hospitable. She might suddenly decide to find another sleeping place.

I'm saying this because I can't bear not to let cats into my bedroom; other people are firmer lol. But yes, sleeping in the tray does sound rather forlorn, as well as insanitary. Cats often do this at shows - I HAVE shown cats (three times) and while my cats were pretty laid back in the hall, I never liked it for them. The third time the guy peed all over me on the way there and spent his show asleep in his clean tray except when a judge got him out and gave him 1st prize (have to confess he was the only one in the class) but yes, seeing cats asleep in trays or under blankets ...

Good luck with the little madam :)
papa cat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by papa cat »

Lilith wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:42 pm Well, she is an awkward little horror.
Aw yes but i luv 'er :D

It seems it was the separation that upset her most. When I had lured her out with cat treats she hasn't wanted to be put down and has been very clingy.
I'll try the foil on the headboard, I already use that elsewhere in the house for a similar purpose.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

If she changes places every few days then why not?

Personally I don't shut animals out of any part of our home. If I need them to avoid seeping on the bed with me I fidget so much they choose to find somewhere else without me having to say a word.

But it's likely shutting her out of her favourite place would cause her stress.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

I am one of the 'evil' ones that don't let my cats in the bedroom at night, but it was a decision I made the moment i decided to have cats and i have never broken the rule. They may occasionally sneak in when I go to the bathroom but they know they shouldn't be in there and they are just trying it on,they get turfed back out as soon as I can get hold of them. However it is what they are all used to and part of the nightly routine, they get fed and the door gets shut until the alarm goes off (and certain furry monsters know the sound of the alarm and will be pulling the door down if it isn't opened within a minute or two).

For yours it is a major change in routine and it does sound like it has stressed her out, if you can discourage her from sleeping there then that is probably for the best, alternatively have you anything like an old duvet or some pillows that you could put behind the head board to stop her slipping down, making it more comfy might sound like a contrary plan, but it might mean you get a better night's sleep.
papa cat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by papa cat »

Well, I gave in and let her back where she wanted to be. I just hope she tires of this place soon !
Here she is, my little sweety in her current favourite position
Attachments
IMG_0231resized.jpg
IMG_0231resized.jpg (17.59 KiB) Viewed 2229 times
IMG_0230resized.jpg
IMG_0230resized.jpg (17 KiB) Viewed 2229 times
ThorpeDave
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by ThorpeDave »

papa cat wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:31 pm One of my cats regularly changes the place where she sleeps/rests, usually about every three weeks.
For about the last ten days she has favoured being on the very top of the headboard of my bed, leaning against the wall to stop herself falling down the back.
I found that extremely irritating because she fidgets, and grooms and scratches herself, (as cats do !) and sometimes nearly slides down the back which results in frantic scrabbling to regain her position of comfort.
With a new kitten arriving within the next 10 days we have just had a "home visit" from the rescue organisation

One of the questions on the form was

"Where do your cats sleep"

My answer was simple

"where they want"

After all, it is there home - we just live here as their obedient servants ;) :D

Regards

Dave
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Lol, first round to Lizzie!

Welcome to the tribe of bullied cat slaves :D

I do hope she shifts her roost soon though so you can enjoy proper sleep again :)
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

I am always amused by the official advice on animal care that stresses the importance of an animal having its own comfortable bed. The house is littered with cat and dog beds, and the furniture is littered with cats and dogs... The only exception is Sophy's special blanket - it was meant to be my special blanket, but she snaffled it within days, and now demands that I flump it to the right degree of bounce several times a day.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

We have two actual cat beds in the house, well radiator hammocks actually, and they do get used.

Not long after we got Tiggy we realised we had an option either get her a radiator hammock or accept that she would be sat sullenly on the end of the coffee table whenever the heating was on. Of course 2 cats meant getting two hammocks, Blue never used one so Tiggy had both, right up until Saturn came along, and then they both wanted the same hammock.
P1210010_opt.jpg
P1210010_opt.jpg (45.02 KiB) Viewed 2190 times
Catotum
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by Catotum »

Well, of course. You forget: it is her bedroom. Drape some loose clothes on the headboard. Cats hate things that are unsafe underpaw. She'll just decide to sleep elsewhere.

Most cats have a wash & brush-up period before settling down to sleep - just as we do.
papa cat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by papa cat »

Her fidgeting,washing and scratching herself was very irritating but I tolerated it. However the last straw was when she jumped off the headboard on to my stomach. I have recently had abdominal surgery, and that HURT !! So, I have now covered the top of the headboard with aluminium foil and that has stopped her. She now sleeps/rests on top of my computers
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Ohhhhh OUCH!

About 5 years ago I too had an op - there was I with my stomach unzipped like a pair of jeans and freshly stitched, and Molly did the same, jumped on it - OWWWW!!!

So I can commiserate 100%!

I'm glad the foil finally dissuaded her, naughty girl :)
ThorpeDave
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by ThorpeDave »

3 kittens - one very large one - always bounce around on our bend and ALWAYS find the tender most delicate bits :roll:
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Ouch again!

There is a book by Mike Tomkies: 'Liane, Cat From the Wild' which describes how he lived with a young Scottish wildcat; it's a good read, apart from his old-fashioned methods of housetraining (my copy has rude comments written all over it.)

However Mike got his comeuppance. Liane liked to get under his bedclothes and he slept naked ... one night Liane found a mouse ... an interesting bald mouse, and dug into it with teeth and claws ... and hung on :o

Male members (in both senses) of this forum may cringe in sympathy ... :shock:
Grace56
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Grace56 »

Talking of cats being shut out of certain rooms. I went away over night at the weekend leaving a friend to come and feed my three furries.
When I got home, the sitting room door had been closed tight and my babies were upstairs and I could tell they were upset.
I was very angry. :evil: My cats have always, always had the run of the house, and they go wherever they please and sleep wherever they please. It is, after all, their home as well as mine.
ThorpeDave
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by ThorpeDave »

Grace56 wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 5:06 pm My cats have always, always had the run of the house, and they go wherever they please and sleep wherever they please. It is, after all, their home as well as mine.

My cats allow me free run of the hose too - It is THEIR house and I just live here and serve them the best I can ! :)
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

Grace56 wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 5:06 pm It is, after all, their home as well as mine.
I have indoor cats - not something I would choose but there's no outdoor access so I rescued adult cats that were already indoor only - so the flat is their world, not just their home. I get to go out, their whole world is right here.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

ThorpeDave wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 9:41 pm 3 kittens - one very large one - always bounce around on our bend and ALWAYS find the tender most delicate bits :roll:
We had a 6kg Henry who would leap from the floor to land with all 4 on your bladder. Hard to stay asleep or pretend ...
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

Ruth B wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:22 pm I am one of the 'evil' ones that don't let my cats in the bedroom at night
Oh evil one how I envy you!

When I was a 40-something single I got one cat who, being a retired stud, had lived his life in outdoor runs, I persuaded him to take full advantage of his new retirement home comforts and get cosy on my double bed.

But he was still deeply stressed without a feline friend and so our local rescue found the perfect match for us. She was extremely nervous so it took 3 years to persuade her to share the double bed. We slept in a % sign, one cat in each corner and me diagonally.

Then my single days were over, and there were two humans in the bed and one cat in his usual place. The other found it too crowded.

Then the man managed to get his dog back, and the dog had always slept on his bed, so it became very crowded and we bought a king size bed. Now I sleep with a man to my right, a cat in the crook of my left arm and a restless dog between the humans, behind the cat or across our feet, on and off the bed all night and shifting position and kicking out and sucking on his teddy to nurse himself to sleep.

Nervous cat sometimes walks across our feet or across our pillows so we can all see what the final chapter will entail ...

So when these wonderful animal companions have all left us, and a new furry friend comes to share our lives, whatever it is, it AIN'T GETTING IN THE BEDROOM AT NIGHT and I too will be an evil one!!!