Large cat flap selective on exit needed

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Invermog
New Cat Chatter

Large cat flap selective on exit needed

Post by Invermog »

Hi I have a sureflap pet door as I have Maine Coons which are getting quite large now. The problem is I will shortly be getting a Burmese kitten and this flap only scans on entry. When I got it I wasn`t planning a kitten but one of my cats got FIP and died. I can`t really downsize as there is a large hole in the door and the Maine Coons wouldn`t fit . I am having trouble finding a large flap that scans on exit. I wonder if I could turn the flap round and waterproof the electrical parts? What do you think? I don`t have a porch and putting an internal flap on the kitchen door has been ruled out by the other half. Help.

Terry
ThorpeDave
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Re: Large cat flap selective on exit needed

Post by ThorpeDave »

Just a long shot - have you contacted SureFlap to ask if the dual scan pet door is in the pipeline?

Their customer service is excellent and may be able to offer you a solution. I had a custom built cat flap made by them but now need a pet door as my 11 month old kitten is rather large!

Regards

Dave
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by alanc »

I also have a Maine Coon and a Sureflap Pet Door (also got because Maine Coon's don't fit normal cat flaps). Looking at it, I don't think it would be easy to waterproof the inside so that it could go outside and it would make operating the controls very difficult anyway.
Invermog
New Cat Chatter

Post by Invermog »

Hi, thanks for the replies, I was thinking about turning the flap round and waterproofing using large amount of duct tape. It would just be a temporary thing and I don`t usually need to touch the controls unless there is a problem. I will contact Sureflap though and check if they would build a flap for me unless very expensive.

Terry