Oh help, what do I do !!!

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
papa cat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 0

Oh help, what do I do !!!

Post by papa cat »

Driving home during the early hours of this morning I ran over a cat on a country road a few miles from my house !
It ran across the road and I swerved to avoid it but it ran back under my car and got hit. I stopped immediately and went back and found it. It was still alive but badly injured. I took it straight to the nearest emergency vet. They said it had a less than 50% chance of surviving, It was not chipped and it was an intact young male.
If it were one of mine and it didn't come homeI would be beside myself with worry as to where it was !

Should I try and find out where it belongs, go knocking on doors, or put up notices or what ?
Last edited by papa cat on Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Oh Help, what do I do !!!

Post by fjm »

I would put up notices and post something on local social media. An unneutered male out roaming is probably a farm cat or semi feral, but it would be kind to try and find the owner. And do not blame yourself - it is impossible to avoid a cat that runs right under your wheels, and you have done your very best for him by getting him to the vet straight away.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

Don't blame yourself, accidents happen, you did the best you could getting it to a vets straight away.

If you are in the UK contact Cats Protection, my local one puts up notices of found cats and RTAs on Facebook and from their they spread around the local cat owners community, hopefully yours will do the same. You didn't say what the vets opted to do, if they thought treating it was possible then I believe they will give basic treatment and pain medication for 24 hours or so in hope that the owner is found, if it was beyond treatment and the kindest thing was to give it a quiet death then they I think they keep the body for a few days just in case anyone comes forward to check.

It would certainly be worth putting up a few notices in the area it happened and if there are houses close by then knocking on a door and asking if they have any idea where he came from. If nothing else it will help you, you will at least know you have done everything you could to let his owner know what has happened.
papa cat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by papa cat »

I found out this evening that the vet's couldn't save it and it had passed away.
I went and knocked on a few houses and found the owner and gave her the bad news.
She was saddened but not distraught. She said this kind of thing happens when you have twenty cats !
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Oh help, what do I do !!!

Post by Lilith »

So very sorry to hear. And what a dreadful experience for you as well.

Good on you for caring for this poor cat and so glad you traced the owner. At least she will know the cat received help as soon as possible, rip little cat.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

Glad to hear you did find the owner, heartbreaking as it might be to know one was in an RTA at least she knows he was taken to a vet where he received what treatment they could give, even if it was only to help him pass on painlessly. Far better than never knowing what happened.
Polly
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Polly »

Papa chat,
Put notices around the area,where the accident happened,In shops,on lamppost,ask around if someone has lost a cat,
You had the decency to stop and take the cat to the vet,many people just keep driving.
Catotum
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by Catotum »

That's a rotten thing to happen to you & you have my sympathies. No sympathy for the owner, though: that cat should have been neutered & then would have been less inclined to stray. It sounds as if she couldn't care less. If you are in the UK, you might advise the RSPCA & ask if an inspector can check on the condition of the others in her so-called care.