Kittens pooping on carpet

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Christianne2108
New Cat Chatter

Kittens pooping on carpet

Post by Christianne2108 »

Hi, we collected 2 kittens a week ago from a girl who had kittens in an awful house there was mess everywhere. They had worms and fleas which we have now sorted. They are 8 weeks old today. When they are closed in the kitchen at night they do all their litter duties in the litter tray. But in the day when they are allowed access into the living room they do their poops 💩 on the carpet. We thoroughly clean it up and have even shown them that if goes in one of the trays in the kitchen as we have more than one to try and stop this happening. But it does keep happening. Has anyone got any tips on what to do to stop this from happening everyday. They are so good when in kitchen so is not all the time........
Thanks in advance
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Kittens pooping on carpet

Post by Lilith »

Hi and welcome and good on you for taking these little ones out of that place.

They're very young, but in those circumstances maybe best to come to you. It's clear that at the moment they get a bit disorientated when any distance from their trays - would it be possible to give them a tray in the living room? I used to breed cats and I've had 'mucky' litters like this, when the little dears got old enough to go adventuring, but before they got old enough to remember to go back to the tray and had to be provided with supplementary loos. They learned soon enough. Conversely, I rescued a feral litter living in a garage full of junk - they'd never seen a tray in their lives but although only 6/7 weeks, they used it faithfully, but they, like your two in the kitchen, were confined in the bathroom and didn't have far to remember to go ...

I think time, and a tray close by, and lots of praise, will remedy the situation, bless them. They're lucky to have found you; I feel sorry for the cat/s left behind in that house.

All the best and please let us know how you go on. :)
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

Are you using an enzyme cleaner? That, together with strategically placed trays, may help. But as they have learned to toilet in a place treated as one huge tray you may need to do rather more toilet training than is usually needed for kittens, perhaps trying some of the methods used for puppies. Wait until they have pooped in the tray before letting them out of the kitchen; watch them closely, and calmly lift them into a tray at the first sign of squatting; encourage them to visit a tray at frequent intervals, especially after eating, drinking and playing, and praise and reward for peeing and pooing in the right place. And always have a clean tray within easy reach, of course. If they do not get the idea quickly, covering the carpets temporarily with non-absorbent dust sheets may help - the less they practise the habit, the more quickly you will change it.
Last edited by fjm on Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Christianne2108
New Cat Chatter

Post by Christianne2108 »

Thank you both I will definitely try out what you’ve suggested. Nice to hear from people that have been in the same position. I had heard about this girl and her cats so I just had to go there. She had more which I wish I could have taken them all but I have reported her. I just felt so sorry for this pair.

Haven’t got any experience with kittens so young so was at a dead end. Thank you so much both and I’ll let you know how they get on :D fingers crossed 🤞🏻
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

It certainly sounds like they have learned the carpet is ok or as said they are disorientated. In the old days we used to get kittens at 6 weeks, barely weaned, but accidents were rare because by that time mother would have litter trained them. So at 8 weeks something has gone wrong that's more than the girl involved, it sounds like mother cat could have had some issues too that she has passed on. Well done you for taking them out of there to give them a good life.