Shower question

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
exlibris
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Shower question

Post by exlibris »

So, my new kittens (still unnamed, latest in the running is 'Mischief and Mayhem' or 'Ripley and Ash') are being as bonkers as ever. One trick that has happened is they are mad keen on the shower, and I don't mean they enjoy a quick wash. Our shower is over the bath, so the shower curtain is always closed. Our male kitten leaps in, then starts making weird noises. Thinking he has caught a spider I investigate and move the curtain. There is nothing there, and he simply flees before me.
Anyone else has a weird cat fascinated by a shower, or similar?
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Shower question

Post by Lilith »

Lol - what about Bonnie and Clyde? Right pair of gangsters by the sound!

I once had a cat who was obsessed with clothes pegs. I'd come down to find them all over the floor and Roo making 'roo' noises (that's how she got her nickname) through a mouthful of her latest victim. Found a whole nest of the villains, she'd exclaim. Good thing she was on hand to exterminate them! She never knew that at night I picked them up and put them back in the peg box to fight another day ...

She would also go upstairs, fish a loo roll inner out of the wastepaper basket, and carry it downstairs. To any caller, meeting a small black cat coming downstairs carrying a cardboard loo roll inner in her mouth ... yes, you did see a small black cat etc etc ...

The eccentricity of cats never ceases to amaze me.

Congrats on the kitties, by the way :D
exlibris
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by exlibris »

Lilith wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:05 am I once had a cat who was obsessed with clothes pegs.
Twitch used to steal cotton buds. We found her stash once and there were loads! lol
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

cats that are fascinated by water can be a right pain, especially if they like to splash in their water bowl - when it's on carpet or laminate it can only mean trouble down the line

let's hope Pesky and Pickle don't go there
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

Kay, you mentioning water bowls has just reminded me of the problems we had when we first had Freyja, she not only splashed the water about, she would up tip the bowl itself, all over the landing carpet. We soon replaced that light weight plastic bowl with a nice heavy ceramic one and fortunately no more up turned bowls, although we do still hear the tink, tink, tink of claws against ceramic during the night.

As mentioned before, we have a fish pond in the garden and there is a two tier cascade to circulate and aerate the water, the pump is solar powered although it is put through a battery so we can run it if we have a lot of really over cast days (with 2 big panels it will run on most days). It is not only our cats but quite a number of the local cats that come to investigate it and end up clambering over and drinking from the cascade. Fortunately we have never had one (or at least never seen one) that has been standing on the cascade when the sun came out from behind a thick cloud.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

Ruth reminds me ...

Bobby always tink-tinked dipping a paw in his bowl before drinking, also shuffling and wiggling his fluffy butt to get in just the right position to drink. I put it down to checking where the water level was in the bowl, their eyes don't focus very close and for some reason he didn't use his whiskers for this job. He still wasn't all that clever at it, he almost always had to snuffle and snort out water that had gone up his nose!
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

I once lived by the river in Oxford, on a lovely safe traffic free towpath. I could never understand why my garden was always full of rubber bands until I watched the postman carelessly discarding a couple one day, and Toby dash out to retrieve them. He was the cat that discovered very early on just what fishing was all about ("Ha ha, he is so funny, do you think he would know what to do if we gave him one?" was followed by months of anyone fishing near my flat being told to produce fish now, and not just sit there - early in the morning I would find bags of fish on my doorstep labelled "For Ginger" from fishermen I never met. When the season came to an end I thought he had forgotten about, until Spring came round again and one morning he sat bolt upright staring out of the window, and dashed to the door to be let out. From over the garden wall I heard my neighbour saying "They are poles for the sweet peas, you silly cat - fishing doesn't start or a fortnight!"