Renal foods, chunks in gravy?

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Renal foods, chunks in gravy?

Post by fjm »

I am trying to get some weight onto Tilly, who is in the early stages of CKD. She is eating, but tends to eat a small mouse sized portion and then wander off, plus I suspect her sense of smell may be affected as she is uninterested in food unless it is right under her nose. After some experimentation it seems she likes chunks in gravy rather than pate-type foods. She likes the Purina Pro Plan renal sachets, and I have ordered more, but knowing how today's favourite becomes tomorrow's bleugh it would be useful to know of other brands. Most I have tried are pates, which at the moment she is not keen on. And as it seems to be the highly scented gravy that gets her eating, does anyone know of a suitable liquid topper? She likes Lik e Lix, but just licks it off and leaves the food. Perhaps I need to start experimenting with recipes...
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: Renal foods, chunks in gravy?

Post by Mollycat »

I swear by Hills personally, their dry renal kept my first renal cat healthy and young for 8 years when there was nothing else on the market. My next one Boo who we lost recently (not due to his kidneys) had dry and wet, the pouches are chunks in gravy but very plasticky looking, not like a Felix kind of meaty chunks. I haven't tried any other brand. Boo's readings went down from mild to really borderline in his first few weeks on this stuff and treats as normal, we didn't retest due to his multiple other health issues but at the end of 2 years there were no signs of any deterioration.

Bottom line, the best food for them is something they will eat, especially if you're trying to get weight on her. Tanya's Pages for the best sensible approach and technical advice there is on the net and she says the same.

PS for muscle loss you need higher good quality protein but most renal foods still come in at around 30-40% dry matter protein. I supplement with a small treat of raw or rare meat. Boo did actually muscle back up again a bit after losing 800g in 8 days - yes 20% of his body eight in just over a week - at one stage, due to digestive issues.
Last edited by Mollycat on Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

you could try adding the gravy from Gourmet Perle Gravy Delight sachets - I used to give Tiffany those and when she'd licked the gravy off the outside cats used to gobble up the meat
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

Thanks - I will try the Hills. I am mixing in some of the home made balanced meat mix to up the protein level, and giving her a tiny portion whenever I see her, adding more if she asks for it. That way I know she is eating the food and not Pippin or the blackbirds (who have raised several stonking broods this year on the cats' minced chicken and my raspberries!). She is also still hunting, so I need to remember to worm her regularly. Superficially she looks and behaves like a kitten, but I am aware that she has lost weight and muscle, and at 16 could do with a bit more in reserve.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

Lucy has Hills, Royal Canin, Kattovit and Purina NF, all chunks in some kind of gravy. Felix do a fun sauce that is like gravy you can put over food.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

Lots to try - thanks all. She has eaten several small portions today - the trick seems to be to give her just the right amount every few hours, and stay close to make sure she eats it. I am away over the weekend, but only for one night, and the neighbour who feeds them will make sure the bowls stay replenished.

The dogs are extremely jealous - four meals a day, with lots of chicken, is their idea of heaven!