Rainbows in cat fur

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Rainbows in cat fur

Post by Mollycat »

Does anyone else see rainbows on their cat's fur?

I first noticed it in a picture of my jet black boy and my photographer friend said it was just the way a digital camera captures light.

But today I noticed rainbows on individual hairs on my grey cat with the naked eye when the evening sun caught her as I was lying very close to her, ok with my face almost touching her back leg.

Anyone else seen this? Any other colours than grey and black?
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: Rainbows in cat fur

Post by Lilith »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

What are you ON?

Can I have some? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

Never seen rainbows, but we did have a dark tortoiseshell cat many years ago and when the sun caught her fur just right it looked like she was made of tigerseye crystal.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

Ruth B wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:41 am Never seen rainbows, but we did have a dark tortoiseshell cat many years ago and when the sun caught her fur just right it looked like she was made of tigerseye crystal.
If you weren't really close up that might be the effect I'm talking about, on darkish fur.

Lilith thank you as always ... I only wish I was on something!!

I was going to post the picture of Henry with his rainbows but discovered to my horror that my entire picture folder of all three cats from my old house and relationship is empty, along with two other folders that don't matter so much, so I ma now trying to track down any pictures I put on facebook and may have still got in a sorting folder. Determined to find this now!
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

Fingers crossed this works, this is a close up of Henry, you can see the effect a little bit at the sides where the fur is in focus though it's not the best picture for showing it.
Attachments
23167952_10155980028767975_2258616824658020161_n.jpg
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

I don't think it was the same effect with Patch, she was a very dark tortie and her ginger was well distributed among the black fur, there were no obvious blocks of colour just very faint, vague stripes. However when the sun hit her right those few ginger hairs seemed to glow giving her the tigerseye effect.

Unfortunately I can't really see what you are on Henry's fur, some around the edges looks slightly different but my eyes aren't picking up any rainbows, but then again I am half blind so it could well be me.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

Sounds like my Misha more a brindle tortie. I'm sure that's what we used to call a tortie and a patchy one was a calico, but I could be wrong.

No, this picture doesn't really show it very well and I don't think I have a camera good enough to pick up Molly's, I almost have my nose in her fur to see it, but it's a short rainbow on each hair individually I think. Must be something to do with the refraction of light. Or I'm seeing things.
Catotum
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by Catotum »

Maybe digital cameras are better at picking up rainbows but if the light strikes water at the right angle, the light will split into all the colours of the spectrum. I remember, years ago, lying back on the South Downs to rest after an early morning walk, & looking sideways to see the dew on the tips of the grass split into every colour of the rainbow. Surreal.

As for your lost files, have you tried the free recovery program Recuva? It does often find deleted files & would be worth a try.

https://support.piriform.com/hc/en-us/a ... ad-Recuva-