Can I let the 3 month old kitten out about the house

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Kitkat9301
Frequent Cat Chatter

Can I let the 3 month old kitten out about the house

Post by Kitkat9301 »

Hi

I've posted here before a couple of times. I had a mom cat spayed who had some issues while I was fostering she and her 2 kittens.

So an update, one of the 2 kittens has been adopted. After I decided to adopt mom(Emma) after her spaying, I took her into my vet who I adore for her first exam. I had a long discussion with her about the kittens bonding and if they have to be adopted together(the shelter was insisting on it originally). My vet frankly thought it was a bit extreme. While she understood it, her point was in the wild all kittens ultimately go their separate ways and that she didn't believe they would suffer. She did allow me to put a flyer up in her office which was a godsend because 2 days later I brought Maxie(the grey kitten) in to meet at her office and her new forever family fell in love with her. Emma and Winifred the other kitten moved on and Maxie(they kept her name) apparently is doing well also, sleeping next to the adoptive family's dad regularly lol.

My question is Winifred who is the remaining kitten. Since I kept mama - Emma - I am going to keep Winifred as a companion. Do you think longterm I will have any issues since they are both females? Also, while I have allowed the kittens to have the run of the house all day, I do put them in a bedroom at night. Do you think it's ok if I allow Winifred to roam the house at night? It's been years for me since kittens, but I do remember my kitten Bubbles 20 plus years ago, allowed to wander at 3 months and I heard a crash in the middle of the night. I came downstairs to see my curtains and curtain rod on the floor with him innocently looking on. Fortunately he was not hurt, although my curtains didn't survive. of course he had been climbing up the curtains.

Oh and one last thing. How long before the kittens are old enough to eat seafood flavored cat food?
Thanks
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Can I let the 3 month old kitten out about the house

Post by Lilith »

Hi there and yes to both. No matter how you catproof the house, of course, you will always get woken up for about the next ... errrm let's seee ... ten years ... - 'heaven preserve us from ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties going bump in the night!'

And seafood flavoured catfood is only 'flavoured' ;)

All the best with them, bless them :)
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Can I let the 3 month old kitten out about the house

Post by booktigger »

Hopefully they will have a good bond being mother and daughter, although you can never tell what will happen when they get older. If you are keeping them both, I'd let them have access to the house all the time, if they are going to climb curtains they will, regardless of the time, it isn't something you can prevent. Also, if you intend to foster again, the room will be needed for the fosters. Cat food depends on what it is, if it is just normal food but seafood flavour then fine, kitten food does come in fish flavours, but if it is one of the high meat content ones, I'd leave it till she is a bit older.