Experiences with Locator? Looking for some tips

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Jacks
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 7

Experiences with Locator? Looking for some tips

Post by Jacks »

Having lost my precious girl twice and this time had her found by a wonderful person, I'm thinking of putting a Locator on her collar. Does anyone have experience of this? Are there options and has it been successful for you? They look very big on the packaging and my girl is very small and slim with a dainty little collar - would this be too big and has anyone had experience of their cat getting caught by the collar with one of these on?

ANY experience and advice would be welcome.

Ta x
mr_frisky
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Experiences with Locator? Looking for some tips

Post by mr_frisky »

I've used Loc8tor tags selotaped to their collars. They have a range of a few hundred feet. They generally work quite well, and you can find the tag if they drop their (quick release) collars usually.

I have the Loc8tor Plus, which gives an audible sound which gets louder as they approach, and direction lines that get longer.
Meandmymunki
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by Meandmymunki »

I have one on Elvis' collar, it doesn't bother him and isn't that big, however he lost one with collar it was attached too, and as we live in quite a built up area I haven't managed to find it, I possibly could if I got every neighbour and local business to allow me to take the search thing into their gardens, but some areas are blocked off and never been a flicker on the control unit.
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by greenkitty »

Noodley has one on her collar too, they come with 2 different types of splash proof collar attachments (2 of each), one dangles down like a name tag would and the other sits flush to the collar, I use the latter one for Noodle which does look a bit bulky (she's average size) but doesn't seem to bother her in the slightest. I've found her collar once when she got stuck on a bush and another time when she got locked in a neighbours garage so it's paid for itself already. You need to keep an eye on the batteries (the handheld and tag take different sized batteries) and I replace mine about every 4 months or so (I buy them from eBay).
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by meriad »

I've used them on mine and definitely do think they are worth their money. The problem is when they lose them that you can't always find them again as the range - whilst OK - can also be hampered by buildings etc and you have to have a vague idea where to even start looking.