Cats love to mess with your mind

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
exlibris
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Cats love to mess with your mind

Post by exlibris »

Our new kittens, Winston and Whisper, have been difficult to win over. They'll come over for a stroke, but then flee before you if you stand up. Quite depressing. But we're making very very slow progress. Tonight though Winston decided he was avoiding me again, previously I'd managed to pick him up (with much protest), now he was rushing away.
I'd also had a bit of a rubbish day at work. So I sat down, all farlorn, and just felt sorry for myself. Then, as if by magic, Winston appeared. Now, Winston is as black as night, so when he comes out of a shadowy corner he literally looks like he's teleported out of nowhere. So, he suddenly materialised, leaps up at me and GETS ON MY LAP without any persuasion, and curls up and purrs, insisting on a fuss. He has NEVER got on my lap before, and has actively avoided it. .....did he somehow know how awful I felt? Either way, he's certainly lifted my spirits....and left me a little confused.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Cats love to mess with your mind

Post by fjm »

Perhaps it is because you were not looking at him - cats tend to make a beeline for those whose eyes are politely averted, rather than rudely staring directly. Or it could, of course, have been feline sixth sense and contrariness! Whatever persuaded him, I am glad he made you feel better.
Last edited by fjm on Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Cats love to mess with your mind

Post by Ruth B »

Probably a combination of things. You were feeling down, therefore all your body language would be submissive which to a slightly nervous or unsure cat is very welcoming. It's the old one of the cat always going to the one person in the room that is scared of cats, people who like cats will normally be staring at them, reaching out to them, making strange noises that the cat doesn't understand, all of which a cat can interpret as threatening, then there is the one person in the corner who is looking a way, sitting very quietly and not doing anything the cat finds confusing or threatening, and therefore, from the cats point of view the perfect person to go to.

I am also very sure that cats are very good at picking up our emotions, whether it is just through body language, or through some other sixth sense we have yet to understand. It could well be that Winston is one that will be able to pick up on things and will be one of those cats that is always there when you really need them.