Progress! Kittens finally accepting us :)

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
exlibris
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Progress! Kittens finally accepting us :)

Post by exlibris »

Anyone who has seen my posts recently will know how frustrated we've been with our new kittens. We are experienced cat owners (we thought!) and our last cats we had from kitten to elderly, and my partner has 42 years of living with cats. This pair just kept running away from us, totally happy to play distance games with us (they are addicted to string), clearly not frightened of us (no hissing or hiding), just no stroking or picking up. We of course gave them time to adjust, but they were still running away.
Well, it's taken 2 months, but Winston is currently on my lap having his belly rubbed :) Whisper will come and demand fusses when I wake up :) They still flee if they think they're going to be picked up (I swear they have a sixth sense), but otherwise good. The reason I am writing this is up until the last few days they would accept attention from me, but not my partner. But now they are actively asking for fusses from him! I am so happy I just had to share :)
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Progress! Kittens finally accepting us :)

Post by Ruth B »

It doesn't matter how many cats you have had, there always comes along one (or two) that make you realise you still have a lot to learn about them, it's one of the joys of having cats.

I'm really glad to hear that progress is being made, even if it is at their pace. I must admit, much as I love Tiggy and Saturn when they come demanding attention, cuddles or knee time, the few times when Freyja has come to sit or even just stand on my knee feels so rewarding. Cats like these make even the most basic of things something special, and they let us know that we are privileged that they choose to share a house with us.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

Aww, that is brilliant news, I’m glad your hard work is paying off.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Mollycat »

Ruth B wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:51 pm It doesn't matter how many cats you have had, there always comes along one (or two) that make you realise you still have a lot to learn about them, it's one of the joys of having cats.
Cats like these make even the most basic of things something special, and they let us know that we are privileged that they choose to share a house with us.
Couldn't agree more!

Great news.