Porcelain princess

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
exlibris
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Porcelain princess

Post by exlibris »

Whisper is obsessed with the toilet! I catch her wandering around on the seat. If she's on the floor and you go to flush it, she rushes up to put two little paws on the seat and peeks over the side. She's not using it, or anything like that. I'm dreading the day she pods in soaking wet. Has anyone else had a cat with this obsession?
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Porcelain princess

Post by Mollycat »

Yes, my soulmate Misha. Always had to keep the toilet seat lid down. But she would be on the side of the bath when I got in it, was always playing with the taps, and would only drink from a dripping tap, never a water bowl.
exlibris
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by exlibris »

Mollycat wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:01 am Yes, my soulmate Misha. Always had to keep the toilet seat lid down. But she would be on the side of the bath when I got in it, was always playing with the taps, and would only drink from a dripping tap, never a water bowl.
When Backy was a kitten he used to sit on my chest when I was in the bath. He didn't want to get his paws wet, but his little kitten tail would just lay bobbing on the water. It was a shame when he got too big.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

Toilets do seem to hold some fascination for cats for some reason, which is why in my house the bathroom door is either shut, or the loo seat is down.

Blue actually alerted us to one potential issue. Not long after we got him we decided to replace the carpet downstairs with laminate flooring, it was late Summer, he had been going out and using the garden for several months and the litter trays had all be put away, I was still a bit naive about having the cats. He didn't like the banging and hid upstairs. It wasn't until it was all finished and i went to have a shower that I realised the bath mat was soaked through, he hadn't wanted to go downstairs with all the noise and had decided that that was a good a place as any to go. That was when we started shutting the bathroom door. We did try leaving it open several times while we had him, but he would always go in there, sniff around the toilet then settle on the bathmat to do his business, even with a litter tray now permanently in the next room. He had it in his mind that he could go in there, and we could only guess that even a clean toilet still smelt enough to encourage him, the bleach probably didn't help matters. Since he left us and we got the juniors I have been able to leave the door open again without issue, and it does make our landing a lot brighter during the day.

One other one I know of, when my parents last cats were still kittens, one had an insatiable curiosity about the toilets, ending with her falling in one of them while she was still too small to easily climb out. After being fished out and cleaned off she was fine and no worse the wear for her adventure. However, as I have an Irish brother in law, the incident soon became know as 'Tufty going bog snorkling'.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

Actually I have a confession to make ... the only pure bred cat I would really like to have once in my life is a Turkish Van. The idea of a cat that won't keep out of water just really appeals to me!! I would have to tie the taps together as they are paddle type ones and a cat like that would soon learn to turn them on if it wanted to.

And while we're on the topic of watery hazards, I got one of those videos come up the other day of a cat lying in the clothes in the washing machine and the owner turns the drum by hand, cat tumbles around, hahaha, it's all fun and games. But I knew someone whose cat got into the washing machine while she was lodaing it and she didn't realise. I am now completely paranoid, luckily mine don't take any interest in it but I'm horrified at the thought of anyone encouraging playtime around these things. The poor cat, and the poor lady when she came back to get her washing out ...

Small flat here and limited places for cat litter trays so one is in the bathroom, the other in the bedroom. Not ideal but it's what we have. She isn't going to fall in and if she did she would get out but keeping the lid down is just a good habit now. The door is always open and if I'm alone I leave it when I'm in there. Net result, a fascinated audience and Bobby used to join me to use his own toilet down by my side. Either that or Molly likes to 'guard' me by sitting in the doorway facing outwards!

I just remembered Misha actually used to drink from it.
exlibris
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by exlibris »

Mollycat wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:17 am
And while we're on the topic of watery hazards, I got one of those videos come up the other day of a cat lying in the clothes in the washing machine and the owner turns the drum by hand, cat tumbles around, hahaha, it's all fun and games. But I knew someone whose cat got into the washing machine while she was lodaing it and she didn't realise. I am now completely paranoid, luckily mine don't take any interest in it but I'm horrified at the thought of anyone encouraging playtime around these things. The poor cat, and the poor lady when she came back to get her washing out ...
I am extremely worried about the washing machine. The pair of them sit and watch the laundry go around, but Whisper (yet again), has too much curiosity. I keep a close eye on it. The other day I checked the load I'd just put in because I'd briefly walked away, and cats can be quick! The main reason - we wear a lot of black, Winston is black. Frequently I have on to pick up clothes and found them to be a cat, and also gone to stroke a discarded t-shirt! Winston has the occasional nickname of 'Laundry'.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

Oh I never turn it on without a visual on both cats after closing the door. If one or both was under the bed, that could mean hours of delay and stuff not being dry in time, but I just couldn't. The forum I was on before one member lost her cat in the dryer, it was just 3 minutes but she was too late. It's the only thing I'm paranoid about, too, I'm otherwise laid back enough to walk the dog most places off the lead!