Neighbour's cat

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
JellicalCat
Returning Cat Chatter

Neighbour's cat

Post by JellicalCat »

About a year ago, we adopted 2 cats from a local rescue centre who we love to bits. We have been trying to train them (not terribly successfully) to use the cat flap which we recently changed to a microchip controlled one, largely because, to train them, we had the flap propped open and lots of other cats were coming in. One of these, however, was very persistent and was chewing through any pouches left out (empty or full) and was not always leaving the house. A few times I found her sat in the kitchen and once asleep in the lounge. I eventually took a photo and posted it on the local community facebook page and received a private message from someone on my road who said that the cat was his and was (along with her brother who I've never seen) living outside as they had recently acquired dogs and the cats are frightened of them. He seemed to think this was funny. To cut a very long story short, I suggested he rehomed the cats and asked for some info about them (ie are they chipped, vacced, etc) but he never replied. So - this little girl is living with us now but my two aren't that chuffed about it. Nothing too desperate - just basic handbags at dawn, hissing, etc. It's only been a couple of weeks. Do you think they'll accommodate to each other? I don't want my existing two to become too stressed about this.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Neighbour's cat

Post by Mollycat »

It sounds ok to me, if yours are not actively chasing her away and there is no scrapping. Bottom line if there is a cat flap so she can always get out and if your two settle in a reasonable time, I'd be tempted to let them work it out. I'm sure you will know it if your two do start to feel upset.

We had a walk-in tom who our resident old lady was happy with, as he defended the garden from any other intruders (and he was besotted with her) and then another one from the same house he came from decided to move in too. That was a little more strained between the two girls but everyone stayed, the boy bullied the last newcomer a bit but she didn't really care and just sat in the corner when she was told to. She is now the only one left of the three and has absolutely blossomed, 22 years old and the happiest purriest cuddle cat you'd ever meet.
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Re: Neighbour's cat

Post by lilynmitz »

I agreee, it sounds pretty promising to me. I hope this stupid guy’s other cat has found himself the hime he deserves, and owners who deserve him, more to the point