Cat acne

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
BeckyF98
New Cat Chatter

Cat acne

Post by BeckyF98 »

Wondering if anyone can help. I think my cat has cat acne under chin. It’s nothing major just some black flacky bits that I have googled and it has come up as cat acne. Has anyone dealt with this before and know the best home treatments? Just don’t want it too get to bad as looks like it could get quite painful for her! I’ve been trying to put sudocream on it but that doesn’t seem helping. Saw that it said about putting a green tea bag on it, so may try that. But please let me know if you know anything that would help and is safe to use on her!
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Cat acne

Post by booktigger »

Mild cases can clear without treatment, but you do need to look at possible causes, main ones are plastic bowls. If you use those, changing to ceramic or metal should help
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by fjm »

Tilly's bout responded to Hypercal ointment (Marigold and St Johns wort). I use it for most minor grazes etc, so asked a vet years ago to check whether it is safe. Since then I have met several vet nurses who swear by it.
mr_frisky
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by mr_frisky »

Coco's chin acne cleared up by itself, but plastic or dirty bowls are one of the main culprits.