Advice on bringing cats from eu to uk

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Thesweetness101
New Cat Chatter

Advice on bringing cats from eu to uk

Post by Thesweetness101 »

Hi there, i was recently visiting family in a remote village in northern Portugal and I saw a colony of feral cats that my uncle feeds. It broke my heart. The place is over run with all these cats and there is a village mentality that cats are just nuisances which I want to change. While I was there I became attached two 3 adult cats were were so sweet and just wanted affection and 2 kittens who had eye infections (which I took them to the vet and got medication for). I want to bring these 5 cats here and get them rehomed as they were so sweet and you can see they just want love. How do i go about that. I looked on the gov. Uk site and it says all the basic requirements but it's the actual transporting them physically that I'm struggling with, I'm relying to figure out the costs as I will fund it personally. Eventually I want to set up a charity that not only rehomes them but set up a education program in these small villages within Europe or worldwide that offers education and subsidies costs for neutering or spaying animals in these villages. Also, I want to set up trap and release programs to help control the animal population.

Any advice would be grateful on how to raise funds, how to bring animals over, how to set up a registered charity, ect ect.

Thanks in advance, xx
David LB
Returning Cat Chatter

Re: Advice on bringing cats from eu to uk

Post by David LB »

Good for you for trying to help these poor cats. These people on Syros may well have some good advice as they regularly have cats adopted from Greece (which has a terrible stray cat problem) but they have found some problems with getting cats to Britain: https://www.facebook.com/godslittlepeople/

Good luck and I hope they can help with advice!
Thesweetness101
New Cat Chatter

Re: Advice on bringing cats from eu to uk

Post by Thesweetness101 »

David LB wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:11 am Good for you for trying to help these poor cats. These people on Syros may well have some good advice as they regularly have cats adopted from Greece (which has a terrible stray cat problem) but they have found some problems with getting cats to Britain: https://www.facebook.com/godslittlepeople/

Good luck and I hope they can help with advice!
Thank you for that David! I will contact them for advice as I've just started a go fund me page to help bring them here. All the best for 2020! xx