Temporary Pregnancy Prevention?

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
rayray
New Cat Chatter

Temporary Pregnancy Prevention?

Post by rayray »

Hi everyone, I am new to this website, but I'm hoping someone has some good advice for me.

I recently got 2 kittens from a friend who's cat got pregnant right before they could spay her. They are adorable and we love them! But... we took them to the vet, and it turns out one is a boy and one is a girl.

They are indoor cats, so no outside cats will be a problem. I scheduled a spay and neuter appointment, but the soonest I could get in is 3 months from now (I'm looking for another place hoping I can get in sooner). I'm a little worried about the situation until then.

Right now, they don't seem very interested in each other, but in 3 months it could be possible? They are somewhere around 19 weeks now.

I don't want to have to lock one kitty up all day while we are at work, but maybe it's the only option. Any suggestions?
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Temporary Pregnancy Prevention?

Post by booktigger »

I'd definitely call around, I've never known a 3 month wait for a neuter - if possible, getting her done first would solve the situation, not him as males can still produce sperm for 6 weeks after.
Bbarb
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Bbarb »

Years and years ago I got my female 'the pill' which I put in her food (she had to eat separately for that meal, and even though she was a picky eater she took it without any bother. I don't know if they are still available but it may be worth a phone call.
A 3 months wait is unacceptable - change your vet.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by fjm »

There are drugs and implants that can delay the onset of heat, but they tend to increase the risk of unpleasant cancers and other diseases. I am with the others - ask around for recommendations and find a vet who will spay your kitten sooner. At 19 weeks she is likely to come into season very soon!