Veterinary Nursing Dissertation

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Kirstyhopkins
Returning Cat Chatter

Veterinary Nursing Dissertation

Post by Kirstyhopkins »

https://surveyhero.com/c/106cc150

My name is Kirsty Hopkins. I am currently studying BSc(Hons) Veterinary Nursing Science at Hartpury University. As part of my fourth year i am undertaking a dissertation research project. The subjects i have chosen to research are the factors affecting the adoption rates of cats in the UK, mainly focusing on appearance Vs personality. I have attached a survey to this post and any responses would be greatly appreciated to support my research.

please don't hesitate to contact me if you have any questions or concerns

Thank you in advance
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Veterinary Nursing Dissertation

Post by fjm »

Done - very quick and easy!
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by lilynmitz »

JoDe, this is a cat lovers website. Please take your spam elsewhere

Edit - I note the offending spam post re dog toys has now been removed by the Mods. Unrelated to the survey!
Last edited by lilynmitz on Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by lilynmitz »

Survey done. Good luck processing the varied responses you’re going to get!
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

Survey done.

Pick a picture you are attracted to - shows me four different pictures of cats, but won't let me pick them all.
Kirstyhopkins
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Kirstyhopkins »

Thanks to all who have completed my survey so far, all responses are greatly appreciated :)
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by alanc »

Survey done, but you really need more cat types in the picture survey.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Ruth B »

The problem with the pictures for me was there was nothing to indicate whether the survey was checking people's attraction to coat colour or to the cat's body language. If i'm remembering correctly the Tabby was sitting up happily looking at the camera giving the impression of a confident, friendly cat, while the black was hunkered down, staring with large eyes at he camera, appearing more nervous and scared. While I have never worked in rescue, I have heard that black cats are harder to rehome and nervous/scared cats are harder to rehome. So just using those 4 photos as examples really does seem to put the black cat at a disadvantage. It's too late to change it now, but trying to have four cats with similar body language and different colours, and then different body language, but similar markings might have been a better option.
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by lilynmitz »

I agree with Ruth, I chose the black cat as I love black cats, butI was strongly tempted by the other cats simply because their body language was better. Perhaps you could find a nicer pic of a black cat to even the odds? Otherwise this will artificially skew your results
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

Link didn't work for me but my input if it's any use -

I have never chosen a cat. My 3 kittens have been "here you are this one's yours" and of my 6 adult rescues the first was handed in to my vet when we were looking for a kitten, one was found, two were walk-ins, one was the only indoor up for adoption on Gumtree. The most recent was found by my local rescue to match the restricted home I could offer and the needs of my resident who needed company.

How would I choose a cat? I'd walk into my local independent rescue and say Give me the cat you can't rehome. I don't care about looks and I can always adapt to personality. I couldn't bear to pick this one and leave all the others, I don't even want to see them.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

You would be most rescues idea of the perfect owner! Sadly people like us are rare. It used to frustrate me when people would ring saying they would consider an older cat, but when you asked what they were thinking, the response would be 3 or 4! One of my best homings was a couple who wanted a pair of tabby kittens, but this was Nov, so no kittens around. Rather than waiting, they asked what we had, we had a black, a black and white and a tabby, they chose the tabby despite her being the oldest! My criteria has always been the oldest cat, so I had a tricky decision with Lucy, she wasn't the oldest, but she had been there the longest.
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by alanc »

When I went to the Blue Cross for a replacement to Sally, I chose Honey and Misty because Misty looked so sad!
exlibris
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by exlibris »

All filled in :)
I'm afraid I had a bit of a problem with choosing the right picture too. Obviously personality tends to be exhibited in how they lark around, so you can't do that in text, so I had to go by visuals when I would normally have chosen by personality. I would have liked the black cat, but I prefer round faces and shorter ears, so I selected something else. Maybe both a list of words and pictures, or a bigger selection of photos would have worked better? Hard to judge these things.
Hope the survey goes well.
exlibris
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by exlibris »

One thing I didn't put down, but my partner reminded me of (he's filling the survey in now), is that one story goes that the 'M' mark on the tabby's forehead is because that's where Mohammad blessed them. Not a well known piece of cat lore.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

exlibris wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:42 pm One thing I didn't put down, but my partner reminded me of (he's filling the survey in now), is that one story goes that the 'M' mark on the tabby's forehead is because that's where Mohammad blessed them. Not a well known piece of cat lore.
I have heard that one too. I used to have a pair of books, Catwatching and Catlore, by Desmond Morris - lent to a friend and never returned, usual story with books - lots of really interesting stuff in them if anyone gets hold of a copy.
Kirstyhopkins
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Kirstyhopkins »

Thanks to all who have taken part, please can i encourage more people to participate :)