Cat advice needed!

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
georgeous
New Cat Chatter

Cat advice needed!

Post by georgeous »

Hi,

I'm thinking about getting a cat with my partner and I was looking for some advice. We've never had any cats before - only dogs and smaller animals - so apologies if these are silly questions!

As we both work 9-5 during the week, what would be a good routine for letting the cat in and out? Would it be best to get a cat flap? Our neighbours have a cat which they let in and out, but it regularly seems to lie on the doorstep looking bored.

If we do get a cat flap (we have glass patio doors at the back so it would need to be at the front) should we keep it locked at certain times, or just leave it open all the time? I've seen some with microchips so they only allow your cat through, do they work well? Do the microchips also allow the cat to be traced if it goes missing?

Since we're both out at work all day I was also thinking about getting two cats so that they don't get lonely. I know that cats are quite territorial, will this cause any problems? Are we best to try to get two brothers or sisters?

If you go away on holiday what arrangements do you make for your cat? We have a couple of people who can come in and feed it. Will the cat get freaked out if we're not around for a week? We're going to wait until after our holiday this year before we do anything about getting a cat.

Thanks in advance for any help!
oggers86
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 2

Re: Cat advice needed!

Post by oggers86 »

georgeous wrote:Hi,

I'm thinking about getting a cat with my partner and I was looking for some advice. We've never had any cats before - only dogs and smaller animals - so apologies if these are silly questions!

As we both work 9-5 during the week, what would be a good routine for letting the cat in and out? Would it be best to get a cat flap? Our neighbours have a cat which they let in and out, but it regularly seems to lie on the doorstep looking bored.

If we do get a cat flap (we have glass patio doors at the back so it would need to be at the front) should we keep it locked at certain times, or just leave it open all the time? I've seen some with microchips so they only allow your cat through, do they work well? Do the microchips also allow the cat to be traced if it goes missing?

Cat flaps can be fitted into glass but it is more expensive. I have a microchip flap and wouldn't be without one just in case we had a strange cat who took a liking to the house. In terms of leaving them open it is really down to personal choice. Before we got the flap the cats were only allowed out if someone was at home for long enough to let them back in again. When we got the flap we kept it open 24/7 and the cats chose to go out at night. We now can not keep one of them in at night because she wees in the house and wont use her tray. I would prefer to keep her in but she is much happier with the routine she has. Microchips will allow your cat to be traced.

Since we're both out at work all day I was also thinking about getting two cats so that they don't get lonely. I know that cats are quite territorial, will this cause any problems? Are we best to try to get two brothers or sisters?

My two sisters came from CP as a "bonded pair" From day 1 they were never close and eventually just fell out over time, around the time they hit full maturity at around 2 years old and funnily enough around the time we had the cat flap installed. If I were you I would personally get 2 boys or a boy and a girl but I know others who have had 2 girls with no issues.

If you go away on holiday what arrangements do you make for your cat? We have a couple of people who can come in and feed it. Will the cat get freaked out if we're not around for a week? We're going to wait until after our holiday this year before we do anything about getting a cat.

Thanks in advance for any help!
I prefer using a cattery because I know my cats are completely safe. Pet sitters are great but I would worry that my cat would go missing whilst they were in charge. I would feel differently about my indoor cat if we had an airlock to prevent escapes and would probably have a pet sitter come round in the morning and evening to check on him. Again it is purely personal choice, there is no right or wrong answer :-)
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

I work from home a lot and don't have a catflap, I'm afraid, so can't really help there.

I do think it's a good idea to get a pair of cats if you're out all day so that they will have each other for company. In your position, I'd actually go for a bonded pair of adult cats, rather than kittens. Their characters will be fully developed as adults, so you'll get a much better idea of what you're taking on, and adult cats will be much less likely to get bored and trash the house whilst you're out at work! There is also the fact that adult cats (even young ones 2/3 years old) are harder to find homes for than kittens, so you'll be doing them a really good turn. As a proven bonded pair, gender would be less of an issue - I'd go and meet a few and be guided by the rescue. A reputable rescue will always try to make a good match between the cats and the potential home offered.

Good luck! :)
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by greenkitty »

I work full time but normally work from home one day a week, I also have glass patio doors at the back and because I rent I can't put a cat flap in. I have 4 cats, 2 are indoor because of health problems but my two girls are in/out, one of them is quite nervous so I wouldn't leave her outside without me being at home as she likes to come back in for reassurance (I've had her since she was tiny so she's never known any other routine), my other girl is very outdoorsy but hates the rain or if it's very windy!!! At this time of year she has an hour outside before I go to work and she normally tells me if she wants to stay out for the day (she sits by the patio doors if she doesn't!), if I know the weather isn't going to be to her liking I bring her back in but if it's a warm sunny day she stays out and I leave the shed open so she has shelter, normally if she's outside she'll just spend the whole day asleep on the garden table (I put the umbrella up so she has shade) with a couple of patrols in between snoozes. If she's inside I get home around 5pm and she can then spend as much time outdoors as she wants until I go to bed when they're all locked in for the night.

I would also adopt a bonded pair of adult cats, a good rescue will be able to advise on the most suitable pair for your set up. If you get one and then decide on another at a later date it will save you the hassle of introductions in the future!

If I go away, which is rare, I have someone come in twice a day. I have a cat who can't be vaccinated so he wouldn't be able to go to a cattery anyway and I prefer to keep mine together. My petsitter feeds, waters, does litter trays, gives Hector his medication but she also draws the curtains, picks up the post and puts the bin out so it looks like someone is around.

Good luck with your search, come back and introduce your new furries to us and let us know how you're getting on.
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by meriad »

Hey there and welcome to CC and congrats at looking to adopt a cat or two.

I work Monday - Friday so very similar to your situation. When I first got my first cats I adopted two older females (they were 8 year old sisters Molly and Chloe). When I first got them I didn't have a cat flap so they could only come and go when I was home - when I wasn't there they were inside.

I then got one of the infra-red catflaps which worked fine for these two as they didn't lose their collars. However when I adopted Abbie and Jamie I struggled with the infra-red flap because Abbie esp would often lose her collar and was stuck outside; so I then upgraded to a microchip catflap and haven't looked back since. Yes there have been some (few) reports of them not opening quick enough, sadly once or twice with a not happy outcome, but in general I think they are more reliable than something that relies on the cat to always wear a collar. The plain regular non controlling flaps are great but you run the risk of another cat coming in.

Re the positioning of the catflap - you could have it installed into the glass doors at the back; but you need to replace the entire glass pane because they cut the hole for the flap at the time of manufacture. Expensive but worth it.

I definitely would adopt two cats and I also probably - if I were you - adopt either two older bonded cats, or a mom with an older kitten as they will be happier being left alone throughout the day and have each other for company.

As for going away on holiday - I've always had pet sitters come to my house to look after them. Admittedly when I had only Molly and Chloe I have put them into a cattery but for some reason never did. Now though I have six cats and a cattery would be quite expensive. I'm lucky that I have a neighbour who loves animals and I pay her to come by twice a day. I'm happy knowing the cats are in their own surroundings; the cats are happy being at home and the neighbour is happy to be paid for doing something she likes - so win win all around.

Good luck and please do let us know what you decide / how you get on
Themogfather
Experienced Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by Themogfather »

Congratulations on thinking on adopting a cat.
i would surguest you get a bonded pair of older kittens/cats from a rescue as this will allow them to settle in better. There are lots of paired cats in the age group 3 upwards who seem to get forgotten by the kitten loving public. I adopted two older cats 12+ and have never regretted it and a older cat may suit you.
My cats are indoor cats but i have lived in a house with cat flap and it worked for the cats that lived there but i would make sure the cats are in at night and lock the door. Getting one would depend on how safe your street is. If it is a busy road i would recommend getting indoor cats but if its quieter then maybe use cat flap or cat proof your garden if possible. A good rescue will point you in the right direction of the best cats for you .Maybe a pair of cats who like a bit of a potter in a garden and a bit of fun but dont roam might be good for you.
As for holidays etc depending upon the type of cats you have there are different ways of sorting it. My two cats are indoor so if im going to be away for a few days i just put plenty of food and water down and fresh litter trays (plus extra one) . if its going to be longer im lucky to have a few friends who will pop in to feed and cuddle cats while im away and i have done the same for them and he had outdoor cats.
There are also automatic feeders available that could help.
My cats dont like traveling in their baskets and are warrie of strangers so im not sure if they would take to a cattery also i would only put them in a recommended one and only then after visiting first.
I have never used a cat sitting service but have heard good things about some. Again i would only use a recommended one and it depends if you are comfortable with a stranger entering/staying in your house.
Hope this helps and wish you luck if you decide to go with the adoption . I recommend you do has this was one of the best decisions i have ever made.
Baggypants
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Baggypants »

Welcome to Catchat :) And congratulations on your conversion to Cat Slave :)

I might as well be the one to inform you now that you can forget holidays. As soon as there's a furry master in the house you won't be allowed to stray away from home for more than a couple of hours at a time. I haven't had a holiday in years and the only time I can have a night away is if my mum comes to serve them instead. And anyway, what's the point of going somewhere when all you're going to do is fret about them.... ;)