Fur thickness and metabolism

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Fur thickness and metabolism

Post by Mollycat »

Does anyone know if there is a link between the thickness of a cat's fur and its metabolism?

Reason for asking is Molly. Ever since her radioactive iodine treatment a year ago her metabolism has become faster and her fur is thinning. She eats more calories and is much slimmer, and her really thick fur is very noticeably thinner. It hasn't come out in patches or anything, it just isn't thick and fluffy like it used to be. It might make sense that there is a link because having a faster metabolic rate would change the way she regulates her body temperature and therefore the coat thickness she needs. Before anyone mentions seasons it has been almost a full year and her coat has been gradually thinning the whole time, she is indoors in the warm.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: Fur thickness and metabolism

Post by fjm »

I would actually expect her metabolism to slow after treatment for hyperthyroidism - but I think you have already said her case was atypical. Pippin has put on weight and his coat has thickened back up since his treatment. There may be something else going on - I think if you can I would get her checked by your vet.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

Yes she was an oddball case, hyper appetite and hypo metabolism so it seems, odd enough for the hospital to ask for their own confirmation tests. Her 6 month checks revealed T4 at the bottom of healthy range, ALT still elevated but coming down, and kidney values that were slightly raised post treatment now down to borderline of normal. Another oddity is potassium which is still low and still supplemented despite loose bowels being resolved. She also has a little dandruff with the shedding on her rump which always alerts me to possible stress or pain but is otherwise well.

I will ask the vet next time we go, probably April, but just wondered if anyone knew of any connection.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

May be worth checking for Cushing's, although I think that is more common in dogs. Or it is just possible that the hyperthyroidism has recurred, although that seems unlikely from the blood tests.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

Thanks fjm I don't think there is anything actually wrong though I'm keeping a close eye on her but all the indications are her system is still settling and she is still getting back to full health. She was comprehensively checked 11 months ago and all readings are going the right direction, output is normal now, appetite and weight all good and she is more relaxed. The question was more wondering if all-over hair thinning might be due to improved metabolic pathways really.