How to stop my cat going next door

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
donfox2015
New Cat Chatter

How to stop my cat going next door

Post by donfox2015 »

my next-door neighbor lied to me and said my cat was not in his home until i knock four times and after lying to me and me keeping knocking he finally came out with my cat, please don't advise me to share my cat which is my property, would you share your kids with someone you didn't want them going to? , I need to try and work this out as they don't seem to listen or respect me, i have two cats my other cat is no problem as she doesn't go near them but they have encouraged my cat to stay in their property, my cat was fine before they moved in, why do people think its right to take ownership of somebody else's cat, I was shocked when they bought her a new collar. another thing is after she was going to them she wouldnt even come near me after months of her staying in there house.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: How to stop my cat going next door

Post by Mollycat »

Sorry but you might have paid money for your cat and spend money on your cat and own your cat in the eyes of the law, but your cat is not your property it's a living animal with views and opinions and preferences of its own. Your neighbours are acting selfishly by refusing to hand your cat over and buying things for it but unless they are grabbing her and taking her in by force they aren't stealing her.

Actually kids do make friends that parents don't approve of and we don't own them either. Responsible parents bring them up to make their own decisions and teach them to make those decisions as wisely as possible and then are there for them when bad decisions turn sour.

Your cat seems to be making a clear choice and this doesn't reflect badly on you in any way, only that for whatever reason your cat likes it better with these neighbours. Maybe she feels more comfortable in a home where she is the only cat, or she is allowed to get away with behaviours you don't tolerate. Whatever her reasons, and I do understand when a cat packs its bags and leaves it feels like a snub or we have failed in some way, but that is the risk we take every time we open the door for them.

Are you angry every time you bring her home from their house? Or do you hold her tight and cuddle and smooch her wanting to keep her safe away from those nasty people? That isn't going to help her to want to stay home with you. Perhaps making your home and yourself more of what she wants will help her make a different choice and stay with you.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: How to stop my cat going next door

Post by Ruth B »

Unfortunately cats do tend to do what they want and while taking your cat and putting a new collar on it,particularly if it has their contact number on a tag my technically be illegal, unless you have a lot of money to fight it in court or a friendly solicitor willing to do it at a discount rate, there is little you can do, the police are unlikely to be interested. Even having a word with a solicitor and paying them to do a formal letter of warning might be enough to make your neighbour realise you are being serious, but again it depends on whether you want to spend the money.

If talking to your neighbour gets you no where, then you have two options. You can try and find out why your cat prefers to be at theirs, and do what you can to change your own household to better suit the cat, or you can cat proof all or part of your garden to stop the cat getting out and going to them, but again to have it done well and effectively will cost money.