Have I got the kiss of death ?

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
papa cat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 0

Have I got the kiss of death ?

Post by papa cat »

I'm almost considering stopping posting to new members on this board.
Just recently I have made some posts to new members about their cat's problems and given what I hoped were useful suggestions, and that's the last time they have ever been seen !!
It seems I've frightened them off.

Have I got the kiss of death ? :shock: :shock: :oops: :oops:
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Have I got the kiss of death ?

Post by Ruth B »

Unfortunately I think it is fairly common, people come for advice and then either just read the replies and go or don't come back to read the replies. I know some have mentioned they expected an email to say there had been a reply and were surprised when they hadn't got one, I'm not on a lot of forums but those i'm on don't do that so I don't know how common it is.

Don't worry you haven't got the kiss of death, or if you have, then we all have it, and some of us aren't going anywhere any time soon.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

As Ruth says, it's the nature of these forums, always has been. All the forums I'm on, including this, do notify of responses
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Mollycat »

No worries Papacat I have read so many old threads where questions have been asked and answered and then silence, it's not you. Also some people use the private messaging if one person's response really rings true for them or they want to pursue that line of suggestions, that has happened to me once or twice on delicate matters that the person didn't feel like sharing with the world.

I always turn off notifications on forums, I will log in and check for replies daily or several times a day for a while. And as long as I have time and something to offer I'll always check in regularly to help others if I can. But some people just want to read a reply to their question and don't want to join in any conversation. It takes all sorts.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Ruth B »

That's interesting, booktigger, I don't remember turning notifications off, but I have never had any come through, i just keep the tab open and check regularly when I'm on the computer.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

Same here Ruth. Sometimes I think I must look like a stalker when I'm the first to reply on several posts.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

Seconding on the stalking! I always turn off notifications - some forums go the whole Facebook hog and want to email you every time someone so much as glances at anything you've written. I make an exception for private messages as it feels rude not to respond to those, but otherwise I just browse as a diversion from getting up and doing stuff like housework. Which may explain both my frequent posts and the state of my house!
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

Papacat you have started a whole new topic of confessions. Fjm ... I had to laugh yesterday, someone on Facebook suggested I work from home, I replied I can't clean warehouses from home in fact I can't even clean my own house from home. I make myself laugh, a lot.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Ruth B »

I'm self employed and work from home, my boss says I can't have time off to self isolate if I get symptoms.

My other half works in referrals and bookings at the local hospital, the number of calls has just about doubled this week, people ringing up to check they aren't closed and that appointments are still going ahead. While it might be possible for them to give him a mobile phone and lap top so he could work from home it would be rather tricky, and I can just imagine the problems he would have when trying to access the confidential hospital records and one of the cats decides it's the perfect time to walk across the keyboard.

Self isolating and working from home is wonderful in theory, but there are so many jobs that make it rather impractical.

As for the state of my house, I just keep telling myself that anyone who has cats can't be house proud and just let the clumps of fur drift across the laminate floor like tiny clumps of Tumbleweed.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

Friend of mine piously announced yesterday that she has given up housework for Lent...!
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

fjm wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:54 am Friend of mine piously announced yesterday that she has given up housework for Lent...!
LMAO.jpg
I have worked from home since 2011 and still do but just don't get paid for it any more, hence the proper paid job (and being on here at any time of the day). Bobby loved to sleep on my laptop, or my lap. Molly can't stand me concentrating on anything other than her and squeaks or yowls until I go lie on the bed with her for a while, then is happy to stay there when I come back to work.

And I agree, cat + houseproud = impossible. Ragdoll + houseproud is just, well, see picture above. Life's too short for housework.