Worlds Best Cat Litter

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
papa cat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 0

Worlds Best Cat Litter

Post by papa cat »

Does anyone use Worlds Best Cat Litter ?
It's very expensive (twice the price of Catsan) but they predict a usage of 60+ days for 2 cats from a 28 pound bag. Do you think they mean using 1 litter tray or what ?
I have just filled up 2 litter trays to less than the depth than they suggest and i have already used up half the bag.
If it means i won't have to change it again for 30 days that would be great, but i'm not optimistic !
Attachments
51Y5rPPHBRL.jpg
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Worlds Best Cat Litter

Post by booktigger »

I've not used Worlds Best, but I've used Cats Best, a cheaper alternative. With one cat using one tray, it can last 5 weeks. It does need to be a decent depth for the clumping effect
papa cat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by papa cat »

On the bag they say use 5- 7 cms (2 -3 inches)
I put about 4 cms in each (I actually measured it with a ruler), and that seemed a lot
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

I've never measured it, but I tend to use half the bag and keep the other half to top up if it gets a bit low
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Mollycat »

Not sure which it was we tried, either WB or Oko, probably Oko because I seem to remember it was paper based. But a lightweight allegedly clumping eco-friendly stuff anyway. Molly refused point blank to use it, she did not recognise this stuff as anything worthy of receiving her offerings. No matter how little of it was mixed into the usual litter to get her used to it, Madam said no.

Bobby was happy to go in it. I was less happy as he sent it flying and trailed it everywhere with his fluffy Raggy feet. Yes it had to be deep to form a clump without welding that clump to the bottom of the tray as well. But the clumps tended to break up. To please Molly we had to go back to a grit type and to please me we had to move to clumping - changing both large trays completely daily was killing my back - so we went to Pets at Home own brand Ultra Performance Clumping ... and never looked back. Clumps are very solid and a bag at around £9 lasts the best part of a month.

I still use Catsan but only to absorb any odours in the bottom of the bins.

Out of interest Papacat what was your reason for deciding on a change of litter?
papa cat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by papa cat »

As mentioned (sometime ago) on another thread one of my cats has constant diarrhoea and incontinence. I was hoping a a clumping litter would be better at absorbing that.
Thankfully he has fewer accidents than he used to, he seems to have learnt that when he gets 'that feeling' he must go straight away without delay.
But, when he sits or lays some where he leaves brown marks which means anywhere i dont want marked or can't be cleaned easily gets covered in something washable or plastic sheeting
I also have to use a carpet shampooer about once a week.
Last edited by papa cat on Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

Ah. Well the P@H one has performed very well through Bobby's 2 year on/off digestive problems and Molly's looseness from November 18 until very recently, so if WB doesn't do it for you/them I would recommend giving that a try. If they are happy with a grit type litter, of course. It clumped but not so much that you couldn't tell it was not solid, if that makes sense, but enough to keep it together and be scoopable.
papa cat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by papa cat »

He has been seen by the vet has worm and flea treatment regularly, has been on special diets and medications but no remedy has been found.
I wouldn't get rid of him though or have him PTS because he is an adorable loving and friendly cat. He was born feral and I suspect it is someting congenital or he picked up when living wild.
He was very fearful at first but, over the years, he has come to trust me, but he doesn't like being picked up. If I want to give him a cuddle he has to have his back feet on something solid and even then it's only for a few minutes.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

Good on you for not writing him off and just dealing with it. I take it you've tried the classic home remedies like pumpkin?

Molly's was a hyperthyroid thing but she was low on potassium, she is still on the supplement although the problem has now resolved but it took the best part of a year. No help to you though watch his trace minerals and electrolytes and hydration.

Bobby's story did not end well, it really began not long after his very mild CKD diagnosis in August 2017. There were diet changes but I'm certain they were not the cause. Gradually his icky tummy got worse and bad episodes at first were sorted with a vitamin B injection, then steroid injection, then he had to go on steroids full time, and in the end there was no more we could reasonably do. He was 15.

One of the options we considered (until the vitamin injections stopped working) was Cobalaplex, a powder additive on their food of the B vitamins but especially B12, as chronic dire rear (and antibiotics) can strip the gut lining and prevent proper absorption. Potassium can also get depleted with chronic GI issues. We were recommended a probiotic and prebiotic supplement but that immediately made him worse. If any of those ideas can help your lad, may be worth asking vet if you haven't been there already.
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by alanc »

I use Pettex grey Fullers Earth clumping cat litter. It copes well with Tilly's occasional bout of the squitters, absorbs the pongs and the clumps are easy to remove.
Nicky brown
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by Nicky brown »

Why don’t you try the litter quitter and forget using cat litter altogether.
papa cat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by papa cat »

With the 'explosive' bowel emptyings of my semi-incontinent cat I would end up with a terrible mess all over the toilet,the floor and the walls
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

Nicky brown wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:00 pm Why don’t you try the litter quitter and forget using cat litter altogether.
I find that such a revolting idea. Every time humans want to go they have to move the tray thing and flush. Totally unnatural for a cat. And what happens when they get old and struggle to get in and out of a litter box never mind up there.
papa cat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by papa cat »

I have just had to change Worlds Best litter in 2 litter trays after 13 days it had got so smelly the cat's stopped using it and were starting to use the floor !!!
Perhaps I was cleaning it wrongly ? I normally use a sieve to remove any waste which tended to shake off some loose, (but still wet,) litter from the clumps, so I was getting some soiled litter going back in the tray. I'll have to see if scooping the clumps whole or sieving less vigourously makes any difference.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

Struggling to picture that. I use a plastic litter scoop and have the 3 layer sieving trays like this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/122716534831 and no problem at all. But if bits breaking off is your issue I would have thought that is the litter more than the sieve. P@H ultra performance clumping does not do that and certainly doesn't stink after 2 weeks. Scooped daily mine lasts a month as standard and to be perfectly honest I can keep topping up and forget when it was changed, so who knows how long it's been down sometimes.
papa cat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by papa cat »

I have 5 litter trays altogether but only 2 or 3 are normally in use. (That means I don't have to empty, wash and dry a tray in a hurry when they need washing)
The sieve tray I have is a Trixie Berto and very similar to yours but fully covered.
https://www.petsexpert.co.uk/products/4 ... ing-system

As I said I'm very vigorous with my sieving and it reduced the clumps from about the size of a fist to much smaller pieces so I'm thinking that I was causing litter that had soaked up pee, back into the trays and that's why it smelt so much.
In other words I was defeating the object of using clumping litter.
I thought that would make it last longer, but it had exactly the opposite effect.

I'll see how long it lasts taking out most of the clumps whole before sieving it.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

It should not need sieving at all if it's a half decent clumping that's the point. Just removing clumps should be it, they should come out in one solid piece and the odd little broken off bits of clump (usually where the cat has scratched it) should not be smelling at all let alone to the point he cats won't use the tray after just a couple of weeks. I went away for 3 days my mother forgot about the bedroom tray altogether but there was no smell even though it had been used a lot. All the way through Bobby's and Molly's upset tummies, about 18 months to 2 years in all, we never had any issues with odours, even where the poop was still liquid-ish the scoop lifted it in one and left very little odour. I am sure regardless of whether you sieve that WB is just not up to the job. Maybe the hood is trapping odours?
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Ruth B »

A while ago I changed from using Catsan Clumping litter to Siria. Catsan was a claybased litter, formed really solid heavy clumps which often glued themselves to the tray, the Siria is made from corn kernels which I thought was probably better for the environment, and it is also much cheaper and gets delivered to the door thanks to Amazon. However the clumps aren't as solid and will sometimes fall apart while I'm trying to remove them, particularly if the cat has just used the tray, it is almost like it needs time to dry out a little before being removed. I do find i'm better sacrificing a bit of extra litter and not trying to sieve it too well at those time. The other time I have problems with clumps breaking is when the cats have all decided to go on the same spot in the tray and the clump is too big for the scoop, with the Catsan I used to think the scoop would break, now it is just the clump that breaks up and I'm left trying to fish out all the bits of it as best I can.
willpowells
New Cat Chatter

Post by willpowells »

papa cat wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:01 pm Does anyone use Worlds Best Cat Litter ?
It's very expensive (twice the price of Catsan) but they predict a usage of 60+ days for 2 cats from a 28 pound bag. Do you think they mean using 1 litter tray or what ?
I have just filled up 2 litter trays to less than the depth than they suggest and i have already used up half the bag.
If it means i won't have to change it again for 30 days that would be great, but i'm not optimistic !
I have been testing it. Usage of cat litter mat will help (I suppose you are using the clumping one). And I hope you are scooping it right, like really taking away only the clumped part. Worlds Best Cat Litter has great other features like fast clumping effect, effective odor control, not so dusty etc.
If you want to cust your costs then move away from Worlds Best :(

Here are other top clumping cat litters and some great litter scoops.

Have a great day,
Will