Cat Vaccinations

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
LeonDick
New Cat Chatter

Cat Vaccinations

Post by LeonDick »

Can someone please tell me what are the must-have Cat vaccinations?
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Cat Vaccinations

Post by fjm »

Core vaccines in the UK are

Cat flu (feline herpes virus and feline calicivirus)
Feline infectious enteritis
Feline leukaemia virus (may not be essential for indoor only cats, but wise in case even thy should slip out)

There may be others, depending on where you live.
LeonDick
New Cat Chatter

Post by LeonDick »

thanks for the reply I do stay in US
WilliamsR
New Cat Chatter

Post by WilliamsR »

The Humane Society of the United States reports that there are over 70 million feral and stray cats on the streets and if you’re planning to adopt one either from the street or a shelter, you need to be cautious of all the diseases it might be carrying. Cats that mostly stay outdoors or a house with many cats are most likely to carry such diseases. The good news is that most of the cat diseases are easily preventable but if god forbid, your cat contracts one, it’s difficult to cure.
According to the American Association of Feline Practitioners, these are the vaccines necessary for your cat.
FVRCP (Feline Distemper Vaccine protects against three feline viruses: rhinotracheitis, calicivirus, and panleukopenia) - for a cat of any age group.
Rabies - for a cat that’s 15+ weeks old.
Feline Leukemia - for a cat that’s 11+ weeks old.
My personal suggestion will be to take your cat to a vet if you are have any queries. You can search for vets and check their ratings online.
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by alanc »

As Williams says, if you are in the US, you should certainly add Rabies to the list of essential vaccines. We do not need it in the UK as we do not have Rabies.