Please can I have advice so desperate :(

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Hannah92
New Cat Chatter

Please can I have advice so desperate :(

Post by Hannah92 »

My cat just over a year old and has recently had his bits done. He was away for 5 days staying with someone else whilst having the operation. He has been back for over a month now but seems completely different, he has started peeing on the kitchen floor, in our washing basket and in our bathroom during the night. We have thrown the washing basket out and brought one with a lid to prevent him peeing in there. We clean his litter tray regularly and he does use it during the day. When we first got Louie he was an indoor cat but we started to take him out side more and more and now he goes out every day and seems to love it. He has also started meowing during the night I will get up and I give him a few biscuits but within am hour or so he is meowing again so will come and sleep with me, but not long after will meow again. I am nearly 8 months pregnant and me and my partner live in a small studio flat. Our concerns are that Louie will start peeing in our sons Moses basket when he isn't in there, and also wake our son during the night. We really want to do what we can before thinking of re homing him but we need to get these matters sorted within weeks as I could go into labour. I'd really appreciate any advice you could give me I'm so stuck as to what to do :( thank you for taking your time to read through this.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Please can I have advice so desperate :(

Post by booktigger »

The first thing I would suggest is a vet visit with cat and urine sample in case he has a urine infection.
Jacks
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 7

Post by Jacks »

Hello Hannah - I would agree, get your boy checked out as if he has a urine infection (which is quite common in boys) he will be in discomfort and one of the signs is inappropriate weeing. You might also try a second litter tray, or just to get a new one - sometimes the plastic starts to smell bad and they don't like weeing elsewhere. He might of course be picking up on your anxieties and there are probably a number of things to think about but first get him checked out. You'll need to collect a wee sample...
Hannah92
New Cat Chatter

Post by Hannah92 »

How would I get a urine sample? Thank you for your help and advice :)
Jacks
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 7

Post by Jacks »

I think the vet surgery will give you something to collect it in - or give them a ring for advice. Basically you have to shove something under the under-carriage when they squat to wee... or use special litter (I think there is such a thing). Others on the forum have managed it - thankfully I've never had to try :shock:
Walesgang
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by Walesgang »

My only experience was the vet taking a sample direct from Squeak which seemed a bit brutal but Squeak did not seem to mind!
Willowgill
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Willowgill »

Hi there - the vet will give you some special cat litter which doesn't absorb the liquid - it also has a small syringe with it and a sample bottle. The trick is to get him to pee in the tray and get the sample fairly quickly. If you can't get it to the vets straight away put it in the fridge (wrapped up of course!). I think it sounds like he could have an infection following the op so I'd get him to the vets as soon as you can. If the problem has started since his op I would say it's very probably connected. A new tray, an extra tray and possibly try different litters in them both might also help.