CAT WITH ARTHRITIS - PLEASE HELP

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
catlover182
New Cat Chatter

CAT WITH ARTHRITIS - PLEASE HELP

Post by catlover182 »

hello everyone,

my girlfriend s cat, aged 14 has been developing arthritis for a while now and the pain seems to be never ending.
to see her cat like this is breaking my girlfriend s heart has she picked her up when she was an abandoned kitten they traveled together and have since the long years developed a very strong loving relationship. i come to you animal lovers in a desperate search for knowledge.
from your own experiences doe anyone have any medications, treatments, alternate medicine connaissance to ease the pain on her poor feline?

i have obviously searched the internet, but i prefer reading from those who do not have a need to promote products and have used certain applications with the active mindset to give their loving cats a chance to feel less pain.

note she has currently been using a product called CONSEQUIN - we live in France i don't know if its restricted to France or sold else where.

anyways, i look forward to reading your responses.

kind regards.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: CAT WITH ARTHRITIS - PLEASE HELP

Post by Mollycat »

I took Devils Claw for years for my back pain, it's most commonly used in horses and dogs for arthritic type pain. Do research it yourself, it's a South African plant extract. There are a few control trials on people, not sure about animals trials but it is used for animals.
catlover182
New Cat Chatter

Post by catlover182 »

thank you very much for your prompted response, im reading about it now.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

Pippin has been on Metacam (loxicom) for many years for arthritis, and it makes a huge difference - he has about half the maximum dose each day, perhaps a little more when he is very stiff. Seraquin (glucosamine) also helps.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

agree with fjm - Metacam is widely used to treat pain in animals, and is, I suppose, the animal equivalent of paracetemol for humans

it can adversely affect the kidneys, but a possibly shortened life free of pain is really a no-brainer
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

My Parents' old cat suffered from arthritis and refused to take the Metacam in her food, rather than have to force it down her my parents asked about alternatives and one of the vets at the practice they went to was qualified to do acupuncture on animals. They decided to give it a try, my Father had been a dentist, and my Mother a nurse, so both had medical backgrounds but were still willing to try an alternative treatment to see if it helped. It did, Stroppy, their cat, responded excellently to the treatment, and never had a problem with having it done, she would just lie there quite relaxed as the needles were inserted. The sessions had to be done once a week and by the end of the week you could see the effect wearing off and the limping returning, so as you can imagine it wasn't a cheap option. From what the vet said it didn't work with every animal, only about a third, of the others, while it did work for some, having the treatment was too stressful for them, or they just seemed to gain no benefit. If your girlfriend can afford it, of if the cat is insured and they will pay, it is certainly something that could be considered.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

Lucy has acupuncture for her arthritis, but only needs it every 4-5 weeks, I couldn't do it if she needed it more frequently. Buster had a monthly injection for his.