Cat's toilet habits

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
march20
New Cat Chatter

Cat's toilet habits

Post by march20 »

Hello

I wondered if anyone has any ideas what is going on. Our cat has a litter tray in the house but also goes outside. This is happening every few weeks. He is using his litter tray to poo / starts in the litter tray but then nuggets of poo are found in the room the litter tray is in or the next room. Has anyone experienced this? it is not all the time.
Kelly77
Returning Cat Chatter

Re: Cat's toilet habits

Post by Kelly77 »

I had the same situation. But now everything is ok. I don't know what was going on with my cat, but she started ignoring her toilet and did it somewhere else. It happened twice a week and stopped one day.
issiandarchie+68
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by issiandarchie+68 »

Sounds like your cat is constipated. Sounds odd but bear with me. A cat's bowel is only the width of a pencil. If the animal becomes constipated, it strains and produces plugs in the litter but these are only the 'end' bits. The more your pet strains, the more it damages the delicate nerve endings in the anus so thinks it's finished, doesn't realise there's still some to go, hence the stools dropped around the house. If it gets really bad, and I'm not for a moment suggesting your cat has reached this point, the litter or usual place of defaecation becomes associated with pain and it looks elsewhere to relieve itself. Once the bowel has stretched to a certain point, the muscles don't snap back, it becomes harder, more straining to go to the loo. Honestly, the easiest thing to do would be to pop along to your local Vet, where a simple massage of your cat's tum will detect any solidified faeces, a stool softener prescribed, if necessary, to help your cat empty the full length of it's bowel, bringing relief. How do I know all this? Some years back, I adopted a 5yr old cat who showed the same symptoms from day 1. Unfortunately, he really was backed up, like cement, poor soul. He was prescribed a small dose of lactulose every day which worked very well. In later years his medication was then switched to 1 daily dose of Cisapride, previously only licensed for humans. A little yellow wonder Motilium pill. But as I say, his was a serious, long standing case of neglect, not the case with your beloved pet.

Issi
Nathan062120
New Cat Chatter

Post by Nathan062120 »

I think your cat is constipated. Everytime he poops a cat thinks all are being thrown out but there are still he feels coming out again. Maybe this is reason why some of its poops are scattered away