Introducing myself - and our cat Tink

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
David LB
Returning Cat Chatter

Introducing myself - and our cat Tink

Post by David LB »

Hello,

I've lurked here for a long time and thought I should finally introduce myself. I did register a while ago so I could try to offer help with a cat in need local to me who was advertised on the forums.

We now have only one cat, Tink, who is small and black and still very athletic at over 13 (see picture). We had 4 cats in 2008, all rescues, and 2 were fairly elderly. One, Pusskin, died in 2009; Purdie died in 2014; and Socksie in 2017. We would love to rescue more but Tink has shown that, despite growing up from a kitten with other cats, she much prefers to keep her humans to herself, sadly.

I have long felt daunted by the vast amount of knowledge people here on the forums have about cats, which partly accounts for my reluctance to "put my head over the parapet" but I hope I might be able to contribute something.

Cheers,

David.
Attachments
TinkInTheEnclosureJuly2019.jpg
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Introducing myself - and our cat Tink

Post by Mollycat »

Hello Beautiful Tink, hello David.

Everyone has something to contribute from experience at least and sweet and amusing anecdotes count as contributions too!

Funny it's been so quiet during lockdown I would have expected a lot more discussions, but hey.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

Welcome David, and Tink is gorgeous.

Age isn't even really a number with a cat, some cats seem to get old when they are 11 or 12, some can still be Spritely into their late teens and beyond. A few years ago one of ours was at the vets for her annual vaccinations and general check up, as she was happily jumping on and off tables, counter tops etc, the vet commented that she was a nice, fit 5 year old. We told her to check the computer again, Tiggy wasn't 5 she was 15. She may have lost some muscle mass in her legs and can't jump quite as well now, but she is still lively and while she does give me a scare every now and again, she soon lets me know that she isn't giving up just yet. Hopefully Tink will have many happy years left, even if it does mean you can't give another need soul a home, Tink has to come first.

Everyone here has had their own experience with cats, and that leads to differing knowledge and opinions, we don't always agree, but most of the time we are happy to put our point forward and if others say different we accept that. I think we all know that there is still plenty that our cats and other people can teach us, as long as we are willing to learn. Don't be shy to say what you think and feel, we are all happy to hear it.
David LB
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by David LB »

Thank you for the welcome, Mollycat and Ruth. I hope I will have something to contribute. Yes, the forums do seem rather quiet these days and a number of the old regular posters (like Lilith) seem to have disappeared. Tink certainly does seem rather like your 15 year old who was mistaken for a five year old cat, Ruth! Thanks again to both of you.