Can you tell me what kind of breed is my cat?

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
gddwms
Returning Cat Chatter

Can you tell me what kind of breed is my cat?

Post by gddwms »

Hi ;)

I want to introduce my cat Sugar. She is like Siamese cat.
I want to ask you, maybe it blue point or chocolate point?
May be she is Himalayan or Rag Doll?
Sorry for pictures not get well.
Thank you.
Last edited by gddwms on Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:25 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Can you tell me what kind of breed is my cat?

Post by Mollycat »

Looks blue to me, definitely not chocolate. I had a blue mitted ragdoll, I don't know breeds very well but raggies have a bit of a flattened nose so I would say not that. Mid long haired rather than long, is that Balinese? Himalayan? I don't know breeds. Colourpoint cats don't have to be one of these colourpoint breeds at all though. Colourpoint appears sometimes in completely random alley cats, and has been bred to create these breeds - not the other way around. It's a form of albino where the fur colour varies according to temperature, the cooler that part of the body the darker the coat shows.

But Sugar is very sweet and pretty whatever her breed, thank you for introducing her!
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

She is beautiful, no matter what breed she is. in the end unless you have the papers you can never really know if she is a specific breed, has something in her ancestry or just happens to be a moggy that looks like a pedigree, and unless you want to show her, it really doesn't matter in my opinion.

I did have a Blue Colourpoint Ragdoll at one point and he didn't seem to be quite as dark as she is, he also darkened a bit as he got older, particularly on his back, so if she is still young she might get darker points as she ages. I also notice she appears to have the tabby M marking between her eyes which might indicate a Lynx Colourpoint instead of just a Blue. It could also be that a Blue and a Seal or Chocolate got together when they shouldn't have, giving a darker Blue than normal. It also looks like she has a ruff developing which is a common trait in Ragdolls. Blue, our Ragdoll, certainly wasn't flat faced, but it wasn't particularly pointed either, just a normal cat face.

Blue came from a rescue centre, surrendered after his owners split up and he couldn't cope with being alone in the flat all the time The previous owner promised to drop the paperwork at the charity, but it never arrived and we didn't care, we treated him as we would any cat, and he thrived for many years. I hope you and Sugar have as many if not more happy years together.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

All cats have tabby markings, just most are ghost markings, I thought Lynx colorpoints have tabby stripes across all points. Coco and Chanel have elements of tabby in their faces, and Coco has a neck ring. I do always forget what colorpoints they are though. And as I've told some of you previously, we had a pregnant tortie that gave birth to 2 colorpoints and 2 fingers.
gddwms
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by gddwms »

The Siamese cat may be with such fluffy tail?
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

No, Siamese is a short haired breed, it's very unlikely your cat is a Siamese. She could be randomly this colour or she could be one of the other colourpoint breeds that has longer hair, or a mix of Siamese or another colourpoint breed with any other random cat.
gddwms
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by gddwms »

Hi

I found. Its a Balinese cat.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balinese_cat

The Balinese is a long-haired breed of domestic cat with Siamese-style point coloration and sapphire-blue eyes. The Balinese is also known as the purebred long-haired Siamese, since it originated as a natural mutation of that breed and hence is essentially the same cat with a medium-length silky coat and a distinctively plumed tail.

Thanks to all
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

I wouldn't say her eyes are sapphire blue though. I always thought colorpoints had blue eyes, but neither of mine have apart from in certain lights
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

the cat I have been feeding in my garden for years has siamese chocolate point markings, and blue eyes, with a siamese squint, but is much sturdier in the body than even the old-fashioned siamese

I call her Tonka because she's most like a Tonkinese, but I suspect she is just one of those random alley cats Mollycat mentioned
gddwms
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by gddwms »

Her eyes are light blue because I think she is blue point.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

I'm sure breeders here will correct me if I'm wrong but as I understand it the specifics of breed descriptions are more about "breed standards" ie the desirable perfect example of a breed for show and breeding purposes, and in reality a lot of kittens don't make show or breeding standard that may have paler eyes, longer nose, shorter legs, too much white, a stripe out of place etc but are still pedigree kittens born of pedigree parents with a documented 'line' all the way back to the 1900s, or whatever.

If you want to learn more about cat colours and breeds, cat genetics are especially interesting. They are the only animal that has a truly Red gene (ginger); seven different genes control a cat's colour including some located on the X chromosome and three completely different whites - so you can have a black cat that is white and has white markings; and the colourpoint temperature-sensitive albino that is another whole topic in itself. Have a read of this https://www.catster.com/lifestyle/cat-g ... -fur-color just for starters. Then all cats are long-haired but short-haired cats have a gene that tells the hair to stop growing. Cats are just incredible creatures and the more you learn about them the more amazing they become.