Purina renal food

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
LindaKat
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 1

Purina renal food

Post by LindaKat »

Has anyone tried the canned version of this food? Reason I ask is that Harry is very fussy with wet food. He will eat mousse style food if mashed up. I have figured out how to get him to eat the pouches, blitz them with a stick blender until they are like a thick milkshake and he laps it up. Honestly the lengths I have to go to. 😄
Also does anyone know of any treats that are suitable for cats with kidney disease?
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Purina renal food

Post by booktigger »

I cheat with Lucy's treats, Royal Canin do some that are like dreamies, so she gets those, hairball treats and arthritis treats!
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

All depends how advanced his kidney disease is, his age and your outlook.

If he is in early stage and middle aged, I would give whatever treats you have always given that he loves.

If his CRF is more advanced and/or his age younger, he could benefit from closer management but depending on your own feelings he could still have normal treats, maybe less often or fewer.

If he is a good age and/or at quite an advanced stage, then it's really a matter of your priorities - length of life vs quality of life.

Personally I don't react to a diagnosis of stage 1 any more other than to change dry food to renal. I just observe more closely any changes in drinking, urination, coat, appetite, general energy, specific play, affection etc. Often levels improve on the second test. In fairness my first was only 8 and early stage and had another healthy 8 years on k/d alone before she got ill, and my 2nd was 13 with other complicating health conditions that took priority but initially his levels returned to borderline normal after 12 months on k/d. My 3rd only came up stage 1 after treatment for hyperthyroidism and her levels have improved at her 6 month check, we're waiting to be able to go in with her at the vets before we check her again.

The way I see it, if it's early it's not critical, and once it's critical it's too late, so in either case I give the treats. I know, reacting early can prevent turning critical, but I'm all about the life in the years not the years in the life. Just my personal views. I don't judge anyone for having different priorities to mine, every owner and every cat is unique.
LindaKat
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by LindaKat »

Vet has not told me what stage, but one kidney is lumpy and small and the other is affected as well so assume pretty serious. Repeating blood tests on Tuesday so will ask then.
He seems happy enough but it's sometimes a battle to get him to eat. He has a daily antacid and also kaminox. He's about 7 years old.
LindaKat
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by LindaKat »

Well Harry had blood, urine and BP tests yesterday initial results for urea, creatinine and phosphorus have improved since January. Still awaiting further results. Trouble is he's losing weight and not eating very much. Will eat treats and a bit of chicken. Tempted to give him normal wet cat food.