They can spot a flea treatment a mile off!

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

They can spot a flea treatment a mile off!

Post by Crewella »

The warmer weather has arrived and I've not treated for fleas for a while, so I thought I'd better do my lot.

Daz and Basil no problem, they barely noticed. Minnie hates it but is 19 and easy to catch, and Grumpy Nellie also hates it but I managed to corner her at breakfast. Merrick and Peaches must have seen me do Nellie, as I couldn't get near them and I've not seen either of them all day. :roll:

Little blighters, I almost hope they itch! :P
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: They can spot a flea treatment a mile off!

Post by HRHFluffy »

Oh Helen :lol:

That's the problem when you've got several to do. The others can see what you're doing to the previous victims and can make a run for it. Hope Peaches and Merrick come back before bedtime!!
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

We have a little ritual here where my OH gives the cats a treat when he gets in from work - usually a slice of ham or turkey between them. It means that as soon as his van comes up the drive, cats suddenly materialise from all points of the garden, and I suspected that the temptation would be too much today, even for the awkward squad!

And, thankfully, Peaches and Merrick suddenly appeared right on cue and got grabbed. Peaches, bless her, was fine until the pipette made that squelchy noise and she freaked (giving me a nice deep scratch on my hand as she struggled), but as soon as it was done she obviously knew it was over and she went straight back to playful and cute mode and stopped avoiding me. Phew.

Merrick was a good boy once I'd caught him, but is now in a major sulk and stalks off with a loud 'huff' whenever I approach him, bless him. He'll get over it by dinner time, I'm sure.

The one I was really dreading doing was new foster cat Teasel, but she was good as gold! I had to haul her out of her crate and she did hiss at me, but as soon as I put her on the floor between my knees she just sat quietly whilst I applied the drops, and even purred after a while as I fussed her. She didn't want her turkey reward, but I've left it in her bowl and I'm hoping we've not set her back too much with her trust issues. Fingers crossed.

So that's everybody done - hurrah! :D
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

Well done Helen!! Mission accomplished.

I was so inspired by your efforts that I went and did Fluffy this evening whilst she was in her bed in the summerhouse. I always warm it up first for a few minutes in my pocket. She didn't even notice it.

I'm sure Teasel will be fine. Going by her reaction immediately afterwards I would say that there's no lasting damage. Hope Merrick's supper has helped him feel better.
PeanutsFriend
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 8

Post by PeanutsFriend »

you have to stratagize at my house. Get Cowboy first for you won't be able to catch him if he knows you have that drop stuff.
I hate Frontline. But you can buy the large dog size and you can do all eight cats.
Avantage works better, but you have to have the kind for cats. There is less to play with.
Jill
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

I'm afraid I was out-strategised by the awkward squad ....... but I won in the end! :D

Good girl HRH Fluffy - it's perfect when you can sneak up on them!

I can't believe I've never thought of warming them! I always warm ear drops in my pocket, but just never thought of doing the same with spot-on treatments. Doh!
Walesgang
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by Walesgang »

Ha ha. We're the same. We start with all four locked in the kitchen. We do in order Tips, Squeak, Henry, Grey with a tasty treat afterwards to take their miss off it!!
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Pepsi makes no fuss and Edgar is relatively unbothered, but once Lou Lou sees that look in your eye, she's off!!
kittiesmom
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by kittiesmom »

:lol: :lol: My two are not bad for fleaing but come worming day and all hell breaks loose. :twisted: :twisted:
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by JulieandBarney »

Hello all . . . I haven't been on here a while due to family health problems......can any of you
Lovely people tell me what is best flea treatment for Barney as an adult senior cat .?i have heard some terrible stories of how some cats react terribly to the flea treatment .advantage seems an option but I would like to know what is best without subjecting him to a vets visit which stresses him so much and makes him very afraid . .i will pick up treatment and administer myself but I have read some horror stories of how some cats can have awful reaction to it which worries me . . X
Alice
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by Alice »

Hi Julie
I've had good results, and no problems, with Advantage when one of mine had some fleas. The cheapest I found was from Medicanimal, but at the moment they only seem to have the size for small cats (up to 4kg) presumably the bigger size will soon be back in stock. I also used Indorex (bought from the same place) to spray the house.

http://www.medicanimal.com/product/~product_id=11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

Thanks Alice . . I have been reading that some cats get terrible reactions when treated at home . . With convulsions etc . . It scared me . . I don't want to make it worse for him . . X
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

Hi Julie. Welcome back :)

I used to use Advocat for Fluffy. It treats fleas, ear mites, worms (except tape worm I think). You can get it on line with a prescription but sometimes by the time you've done all that you may as well get it from the vet. Recently I have used Advantage twice on her with no ill effects whatsoever. I also read some worrying stories too but thankfully she has been ok. Fusses to Barney :)
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

Thanks carol . . Think the little fella will be having advantage . . With mom worrying over him ! He loves his outdoor trips now but never wanders too far . . . And he always comes home to use his litter tray ! My hubby laughs about that one ! I must upload a pic of him soon on his new sleeping place . . .. It's actually the bird table outside our window !! I can't believe it . . . . ,! He's lying next to me now snorting and wheezing away happily ! He's such a funny fella . . . He snores louder than most people I know ! Love to hrh fluffy and you . . .x
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

Julie you've got to upload that pic soon :D Can't wait to see Barney on the bird table. So funny. It's great that he's going out and about but not too far. Huge relief for you I'm sure. Don't worry about him coming back in to use his litter tray. Fluffy does that all the time. It's still very much Barney's routine to do his business in his tray so it may take time to get out of it. On the otherhand he may always prefer it that way. Gives you an extra job to do :) Don't want you getting bored now do we! Xx
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

I could never get bored with this fella carol ! :roll: from licking my eyelids at 4 30 am then ' doing the dough, as my hubby calls it a few minutes later.... On my chest . . I don't get much peace ! But I happily do it every day to hear him purr and see the fear gone out of his eyes from when we first took him in . . . I just do as I am told ! . . . Love to you and fluffy. . . Xx
Minnies_Mum
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Minnies_Mum »

Oh yes. I woke up this morning and my first thought was "oh s***, it's the 21st." I am already 3 days behind with Minnie's drops. Ideally, I should have got the drops out on Friday. Then we would stealthily have brought them to the bedroom, finally Ninja-style to pop them o her back.

But it's too late. She has decided that the comb is s means of putting them on. She's not sure how, but I must be planning something.......
misspaws
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by misspaws »

Ziva is the first cat I have had who hates her flea treatment. I have to hide the tube and try to wait until she is asleep. Stronghold requires an iron squeeze to get it all out and Ziva's thick fur just never seems to want to show that little white line of skin I yearn for! I think I have it in the right spot between the shoulder blades, when the deed is done she runs round the room and then I notice that the skin which looked to be the between the shoulders has now migrated to a more sideways position. My blood pressure must shoot up with this ritual and OMG. I have just realised that I have to go through it tomorrow!