Introducing two new kittens to resident cat

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Grinchy
Frequent Cat Chatter

Re: Introducing two new kittens to resident cat

Post by Grinchy »

Hi

Thank you for your excellent advice. I have a positive yet puzzling update.

We are now feeding all cats 'semi-supervised'. This means I put the food down and go off but keep an eye out from the kitchen. This has been going well apart from one incident, which I will mention.

All three of them now play for ages in the room and are engaged in the toys.

We've also allowed some free roaming today. This went well too apart from one issue - which I will outline below.

So the issue now is Ferius winding up Buffy. During semi supervised feed yesterday, Ferius 'stalked' Buffy then snuck up behind her grabbed her tail at the base with both paws! Buffy gave her a hiss and slap down and carried on eating.

Then today during free roaming, Buffy was totally chilled and lying down. Ferius got into a pounce position. Buffy came up to her hissing. Ferius ran so Buffy redirected the hiss and slap to Kellen, who wasn't even doing anything to alienate Buffy.

Then after 5on feed, Buffy left to go upstairs and groom. Ferius followed her and engaged in a staredown. Buffy gave her a hiss and slap. After I clapped at them, Buffy went off. Ferius got up and went to challenge Buffy again!! She got another hiss and slap!

Not sure why Ferius is winding Buffy up. Buffy is at a place now where she tolerates them unless they touch her or challenge her.

Can you shed any light on this?
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

I think it is a case that Ferius is getting confident in her surrounding and is starting to push the pecking order lines, unfortunately I think this is something only the cats can sort out between themselves.

I will also add that my young lad when I introduced him to my elderly resident cat very quickly started to tease her for want of a better term. It was just like watching a teenage youth antagonise an elderly lady just because he could, he would do the cat equivalent of 'knock the door and run a way' or call her names and then run off and stay just out of reach. It was strange watching them as it seemed such a human like interaction. Four years on and he will still try it on, blocking doorways is one of his primary methods now, he isn't out to hurt them, but he will always give either of the girls a quick bat with a paw just to say that he could if he wanted. He also has a habit of rubbing up against Tiggy, my golden oldie. she is old and rather frail now, he is a hulking male cat almost twice her weight and by 'being friendly' he almost knocks her over.

Sorry I can't give any real advice on how to solve it, except to monitor them closely and if Buffy seems to be getting too upset then to remove Ferius from her vicinity and play with him long enough to ware him out.
Grinchy
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Grinchy »

Hi Ruth.

Thanks for your reassurance.

This weekend, the kittens would have been with us five weeks.

We're going to allow them to roam during the day now.

I'm nervous!!!

Wish me luck.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Ruth B »

Wishing you all the luck there is. With all the work you have put in on introductions I'm sure it will be fine overall, but I'm also certain there will be a few more bumps along the road.

Give them all, but especially Buffy she really has been well behaved towards them, a fuss from me.
Grinchy
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Grinchy »

Thank you!

I actually did half an hour of free roaming yesterday - which went very well.

I stopped it because Ferius went under a chair and started stalking Buffy whilst Buffy was chilling. Then Buffy saw a paw dart from under the chair and went up slap it.
Grinchy
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Grinchy »

Dear Mollycat and Ruth,

I want to say a huge thank you for all your support and help.

We have been free roaming this weekend - and it's been great!

Buffy and Ferius have found their equilibrium.

They're still learning about each other - but it's going to be a positive journey.

I'm so grateful for your time and advice.

Thank you!
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Mollycat »

Great news it did all sound like it was going the right way. The trick is for us to learn how much hissing and batting is ok and when it's not ok but we have relatively few opportunities to learn in a lifetime and the stakes are always high when we do get those opportunities.

Well done you and the fluffy trio!
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Ruth B »

Great news, and well done. You put a lot of work into the introduction and it sounds like it has paid off. I always thought you were doing well, but when you are in the middle of it all small hiccups can seem like mountain sized issues and it helps to have someone on the outside to tell you it will be fine.

Should you need any advice in the future, we will still be here, and hopefully you will stick around and pass your experiences on to others who come for advice.