need new flooring

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Kelly77
Returning Cat Chatter

need new flooring

Post by Kelly77 »

I have two cats and one dog at home, and in a few years they totally destroyed my flooring. Has someone faced something similar? I have laminate, and I think that it's time to change it. Maybe, someone knows any good and resistant flooring, which pets won't destroy?
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: need new flooring

Post by fjm »

Is the problem claws or pee?
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

We replaced the old carpet with laminate flooring through out the downstairs of the house about 20 years ago, and since then have always had two or three cats, and with the exception of a few stains around the front and back door, it is still as good as when we put it down. I would therefore have to ask what has damaged your floor so quickly, as there is a chance it might damage any flooring you put down, and the more durable the more expensive it is likely to be.

Real wood is obviously an option, but expensive and it is possible that the dogs and cats could damage it as easily as they would laminate flooring. A good laminate might last just as long and be a lot cheaper.
Tile is also an option but again not cheap. I recently had the bathroom redone as a wetroom and had the floor fully tiled, it looks wonderful, it is obviously hard wearing as it is tile. if you did consider tile i would seriously suggest checking out the underfloor heating that is available now, it is very economical, downstairs would help heat the whole of the house and really takes the edge of the cold tiles in winter.
Some of the new vinyl floorings are also supposed to be very hard wearing and miles away from the old fashioned lino.
Noah43
New Cat Chatter

Post by Noah43 »

Kelly77 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:22 am I have two cats and one dog at home, and in a few years they totally destroyed my flooring. Has someone faced something similar? I have laminate, and I think that it's time to change it. Maybe, someone knows any good and resistant flooring, which pets won't destroy?
When you have pets at home, it is always better to take care of unwanted repairs in advance)) I prefer a floor made of tiles or strong stone.