Changing Litter after a wee

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Lynne Phillpot1963
Frequent Cat Chatter

Changing Litter after a wee

Post by Lynne Phillpot1963 »

Hi, Sorry for all the questions :) Rummy is home and settling in well. She has used her litter tray overnight and had a couple of wees. would it be best to scoop it out (it has absorbed well in the litter ) or leave it, I have topped it up with fresh.

Any replies greatly appreciated
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Changing Litter after a wee

Post by Ruth B »

Partly it depends on the type of litter you are using, and Rummy's preferences.

I use a clumping litter and normally just get the clumps and solids out twice a day, less in Summer when the cats go outside more. I only need to do a full change every few weeks.

Some litters, while not clumping, are designed to absorb the urine and you just remove the solids, and then clean the tray every 5-7 days. Other litters require a full litter change once or twice a day.

Some cats won't use any type of litter once it has already been used, I guess if she has used it twice in the night then she at least isn't that picky.

Sorry I can't give a better answer.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by fjm »

If she is OK using slightly soiled litter I think there can be some benefit in leaving just enough that she can smell it but you can't. That way she may have the comfort of having marked her new territory - I'm never sure how much a tray counts for this, but always feel it can't harm. Plus a full litter change every time can get very expensive!
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

What Ruth said.

My boy was using Tesco value cheap and rubbish litter at first, indoor cats, had to change in full and scrub trays daily. Not much fun carrying 7 bags of cat litter up 2 flights of stairs with weekly groceries, never mind the changing, scrubbing and despite all that the smell.

When Molly joined us that system couldn't continue for 2 trays. Tried different options including light paper based, he didn't care as long as it was in his tray but Madam said this is not litter and refused it point blank, even with gradual mixing into the existing litter, once it reached about a third she would refuse it completely.

Ended up with a fine high quality clumping own brand - learned thanks to shortages during lockdown that the same supplier supplies Pets at Home and most supermarket own brands - scoop daily or when I spot it if something big has happened, full change probably monthly. Also have the sieving trays so run it through that once a week or so to catch any small bits of clumps that escaped the scoop and top up.

The Tesco Value stuff was under £2 a bag and we got through 7 a week for one cat. Clumping is £8-10 a bag and lasts one to two weeks for two cats.

Glad to hear Rummy is with you and so far so good!
Wrigs
New Cat Chatter

Post by Wrigs »

Our cats frustratingly will only go in the worlds most expensive cat litter, Catsan. Plus side you can change it once a week or so as does hold the moisture
Lynne Phillpot1963
Frequent Cat Chatter

Thank you for the replies :) Rummy is settling in well touch wood, she set up home behind the wardrobe but comes out to see us as soon as we go in the bedroom. Rummy is beginning to want to follow us out of the room too so we hope to leave the door open either tonight or tomorrow to see how she gets on, we don't want to overload her to soon.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

Sounds perfect, sure once the door is left open for her she will start to explore at her own pace
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

Sounds like she is doing great, coming out to meet you when you enter the room is far better than running to hide when you enter the room.

Leaving the door open to explore at her own pace is fine, some cats are happy to have a look around and claim the place as their own within hours of arriving at a new home, others can takes days or weeks, it all depends on the cat in question.

If you are going to have to shut her in to stop her escaping when you go out, if there is any pattern to when you are out then I would suggest you try and get her into a routine of being shut in during those times, even if you are in, at least for the first few weeks or months. A familiar routine can help a cat settle in.

Glad she is doing so well and I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures when you can get some. Uploading photos can be a bit tricky on here due to size limitations but there is a really good thread giving advice and links to sites that can help.
Lynne Phillpot1963
Frequent Cat Chatter

Thank you Mollycat and Ruth B, We left the door open yesterday evening and blocked the stairs so that she could explore the landing which I think she enjoyed, I also witnessed her climbing her cat tree to sit on the window sill to look out, I think she may have done this a couple of times but it was nice to witness it.