Successful introduction but now adult cat is being hassled.

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Grinchy
Frequent Cat Chatter

Successful introduction but now adult cat is being hassled.

Post by Grinchy »

Hi all,

I have two kittens (15 weeks old) and an adult cat (5 years old).

I've had the kittens since they were 8 weeks old and we took the introduction slowly. The process can be found on this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=9382

Last week, we allowed the kittens to roam in the evenings and put them in their room at night - which went well. We put bells on all three cats so they can hear each other.

This weekend, we allowed them to roam freely.

My adult cat, Buffy, would hiss and swat if they came to her food bowl or too close to her.

Now the kittens are roaming freely, they stalk her and try to play with her. She hates it.

She's started running at them and then runs off. The problem is, they run after her because they think it's a game.

We play with all the cats, but the kittens always have the energy to hassle Buffy.

Last night, we put them back into their room before we slept , and Buffy was more chilled.

Not sure how to manage their exuberance around Buffy.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Successful introduction but now adult cat is being hassled.

Post by Mollycat »

Seems to be a flush of this same problem, Ellie755 and Chrome123 have both posted the same issue today in health and behaviour.

Maybe you need to keep them going back in their room for a while longer, but really I think it's kittens being kittens. Or wean them gradually, so maybe they go back in their room most nights and gradually increase the free roaming nights so that Buffy gets a break from them?
Grinchy
Frequent Cat Chatter

Re: Successful introduction but now adult cat is being hassled.

Post by Grinchy »

Thank you for your reply and advice

I'll also look at the threads you mentioned.