Cat Worming

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Jadey
New Cat Chatter

Cat Worming

Post by Jadey »

Hello Everyone

First post on this forum, glad to meet you all. :)

I've been using Drontal worming tablets monthly for my year old cat since I've had him from Jan. But I almost have to force-feed him the tablet which is distressing for each of us. During the summer he's been hunting and mostly eating his catch in the garden but they are all flying insects such as butterflies, moths and flies etc (disgusting :cry: ) but he has not caught mice or birds as yet. I have been thinking of switching to spot-on worming solutions but notice that Droncit only tackles tapeworm (associated with fleas) whereas Drontal treats both tapeworm and round worm. There is a huge price jump from tablets to spot on treatment and another price difference between Droncit and Drontal spot on. Money aside I don't want to give him unnecessary treatment so any advice please on whether the flying insects could give him round worms as this might be the deciding factor?

As winter is coming do I consider lessening or stopping the monthly worming treatments? Only because he is unlikely to come into contact with fleas as we live in isolation and he won't be let out into the garden. Anything else I should consider about worming would be much appreciated.

Thanking you all in advance.
Grinchy
Frequent Cat Chatter

Re: Cat Worming

Post by Grinchy »

Does your vet have drops? I use prodefender drops from the vet.

Also, the Cat's Protection League have a good video on how to administer a pill to a cat on YouTube.

I use some pate or butter to make it yummy for them. Then blow on their nose or rub their throat gently so they swallow the pill.
Jadey
New Cat Chatter

Post by Jadey »

Hi Grinchy

Not spoken to the vet about drops but I can do. Profender is prescriptive only and possibly more potent? In the past when I mentioned worming to my vet he was not fussed about selling any product to me. Basically my cat is rather timid and dislike any handling; nor does he like any treats which is very unusual. However I will have a look at the Cat's Protection League video you mentioned. Thanks for your suggestions.
Grinchy
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Grinchy »

Hi,

Not sure if it's more potent but they have a choice between drontal tablets or the Provender drops. The drops are only applied every three months.

My cat-niece has to take a blood thinning pill every day (congenital heart issues). I'm looking after her solo, this week.

I wrap her in a hoodie so she can't kick out. I wouldn't do this if I had someone to help. Then I move her head back, separate her mouth on the sides, stick the pill in with a bit of pate and rub her throat gently until she's swallowed it.

It's very stressful but it gets done.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

I would suggest checking what defleaing treatment you use quite a few now cover more than just fleas, although the combined treatments normally are only available on prescription.

I use Stronghold, which is one of the more expensive options but covers, fleas, roundworms, hookworms, heartworms, biting lice, sarcoptic mange and ear mites. Tapeworms as you can see are about the only thing not covered. I have three cats, one doesn't hunt anymore, she is rather too old for it, one loves moths and the third is a mouser, but none tend to eat what they catch so I don't worry about treating for tapeworms, I don't even use the Stronghold as often as recommended, I often leave it two or three months between administrations.

Eating mice is probably the main way that cats pick up worms so if yours is only catching and eating insects I don't think you need worry too much.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Mollycat »

Parasite control is quite a topic, with so many different products for so many different critters and so many people with opinions and so many different cats with their circumstances.

At the far end of the scale is me, I have never given any of my cats regular scheduled parasite control, except for my first cat who wore a potent flea collar. None have ever been wormed as routine, not even Sarah who thought worming tablets were treats and would freely eat them from your hand and look expectantly at you wondering if you had any more tucked away somewhere! Fleas for indoor and outdoor cats have been done on a need basis, not when we see them (that's already a serious infestation) but when they start to scratch. I'm not completely irresponsible though, current indoor cat now has to be wormed because she may drink from the dog's water bowl and he digs and comes home with his tongue full of dirt and straight in the water bowl, and of course he can bring home fleas.

In more than 30 years and 6 cats, we've never had a known case of worms. None of them was ever in the habit of eating stuff they caught though, unless you count the mighty hunter that used to bring back Kentucky Fried Chicken bones.