Yumove

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Lynne Phillpot1963
Frequent Cat Chatter

Yumove

Post by Lynne Phillpot1963 »

Hi,

Does anyone give their cats Yumove, Rummy is on Metacam for her arthritus and was thinking of adding this to her food.

Any replies greatly appreciated.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Yumove

Post by fjm »

I know several people with dogs who swear by it, but the low phosphorus version for cats only comes as a powder and my cats hated it. I have Pippin on Seraquin instead - similar formulation and he eats them like treats.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

I am at the beginning of looking into all this, for my dog. We don't even know what his problem is yet, but he's just been put on metacam for 2 weeks and see where we go from there.

If it does turn out to be arthritis another option I would consider for him is Devils Claw, simply because I took it for years for my back and can vouch for it, and I found it for myself when I was looking for a way not to stay on cocodamol for years on end.

I know some people who have their dogs on Yumove too and swear by it. Others say just glucosamine and fish oil - not fish liver oil because that's too high in vitamin A.
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by alanc »

I used to give Tilly Yumove and for a while she loved it (she is very fond of fish and Yumove smells of fish). Initially, it certainly seemed to make a difference. However, Tilly has gone off it and doesn't seem to be any the worse for not taking it now. I do feed her muscles as a treat several times a week (as in a tin of Cannagan X with muscles). I read somewhere that the active ingredient of Yumove can be found in muscles but have no idea whether that is true or not.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

alanc wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:03 pm I used to give Tilly Yumove and for a while she loved it (she is very fond of fish and Yumove smells of fish). Initially, it certainly seemed to make a difference. However, Tilly has gone off it and doesn't seem to be any the worse for not taking it now. I do feed her muscles as a treat several times a week (as in a tin of Cannagan X with muscles). I read somewhere that the active ingredient of Yumove can be found in muscles but have no idea whether that is true or not.
It's basically green-lipped mussels and glucosamine with a few added minerals. Green-lipped mussels are another one of those foods credited with all kinds of magical powers that some swear by but objective studies struggle to replicate. Don't get me wrong, Devil's Claw comes into the same category and I swear I'm only able to walk today without steel rods in my back because of it, but I still recognise that my silver bullet has very little science to back it up.