Feeding

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Kittymamafirst
New Cat Chatter

Feeding

Post by Kittymamafirst »

Hi all, I'm very new at this so please be patient with me . We have a rescue kitten, this is her first night with us. Will she be able to find her food in the kitchen? We're thinking of making that her permanent feeding place.
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Feeding

Post by alanc »

My experience of kittens is getting a bit old now (10 years) but I don't recall them having any difficulty in finding their dinners. Their sense of smell is pretty good and will lead them to food when they are hungry. Probably best to keep her out of the kitchen while you fill the bowl, though, as you may find a kitten under foot.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

Mine never had any problem, but at first I would show them exactly where the food was, either by putting the bowl down in front of them or by taking the kitten to it. If you are free feeding (leaving food down all the time) it may be worth reminding the kitten where it is occasionally for the first few days; if you are feeding every few hours then having the kitten with you while you prepare the food is usually enough.
Grinchy
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Grinchy »

Trust me, my little minxes can smell a pork scratching I ate three hours ago at the pub.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

Should be no problem and it's a good idea to start from day one as you mean to go on, so if the food will end up in the kitchen it's a good place for it to start